Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 01:32 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
The designation of "International" for airports simply means the US Customs Bureau has an office open at it. There are several airports even smaller ones that have the designation. Usually because they have private and charter flights coming in internationally. The common misconception is that if an airport is international, it must have commercial international service. There aren't too many airports that aren't hubs that have daily international service. The exception is when a Hub airport outside of the US has a direct connection, for instance Toronto's Pearson has connections to several medium sized US metros that wouldn't other wise have daily international service.
Correct. I love airports that have "International" in their name but no international flights. Just a few:

Great Falls (MT) International Airport

Spokane (WA) International Airport

Hector/Fargo (ND) International Airport

As I understand it, to qualify for "International" designation an airport must have customs service available as mjlo notes above.

Last edited by Kar54; 07-10-2015 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 01:54 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
According to the Wikipedia page, I don't see any international routes out of Norfolk-Virginia Beach. The closes thing to it is a cargo route to Puerto Rico.
I assume we want metro sizes...and sounds like this is the winner!

Old 07-10-2015, 01:55 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Despite being right on an international border, I do not believe El Paso has any international passenger flights at this time.
That's stunning. I would have thought for sure at least one flight into Mexico.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:27 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
El Paso is a large "city", it's not a large market. Air service has never been determined by how many people a city has by expanding it's borders, but rather market size. Cities like El Paso, Albuquerque, and Jacksonvilles large city size have no reflection on their market size.
OP asked city. I answered. Beyond that I don't care but thanks for the talk.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:33 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Louisville has no international passenger flights. They do, however, have a ton of international cargo flights, since it is a major UPS hub.

I looked up Fresno. Even it has direct flights to/from Guadalajara.

Tucson has no direct international flights. Neither does Long Beach. These are both sizable cities. Tucson has a slightly larger population and sphere of influence, so I vote Tucson.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:00 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Piedmont Triad International, serving the Triad of North Carolina (Winston-Salem Greensboro High Point) with a population of 1.6 million...no international flights. I think there was one in the past.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:31 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
That is pretty interesting that Albuquerque, Tucson, and El Paso don't have direct flights to Mexico. Never would have thought that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Piedmont Triad International, serving the Triad of North Carolina (Winston-Salem Greensboro High Point) with a population of 1.6 million...no international flights. I think there was one in the past.
I think PTI at one time had a seasonal non-stop flight to Cancun or some other destination city.

PTI could at some point have a daily flight to and from somewhere like Toronto if the demand for it is there. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:48 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
That is pretty interesting that Albuquerque, Tucson, and El Paso don't have direct flights to Mexico. Never would have thought that.

I think PTI at one time had a seasonal non-stop flight to Cancun or some other destination city.

PTI could at some point have a daily flight to and from somewhere like Toronto if the demand for it is there. But I wouldn't hold my breath.
Probably many of the airports with "international" in the name had an international flight at one point. I think you're right about Cancun from PTI.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:26 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Many of these International airports have no facilities for airline level Custom/Immigration services , passenger separation / quarantine.

If the flight can not clear US Customs at the departure airport, and arrive domestic they can not schedule the flight.

Also US Customs had to "Buy" into providing the service at the airport.

For one flight a day with 100 or so passengers, DHS is not going to train, pay, staff an airport custom operation for 1 hour a day.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:29 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,002 times
Lehigh Valley International Airport near Allentown has no international routes. While Allentown is nowhere near the largest city without service, the Lehigh Valley MSA, which includes Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, and Phillipsburg, NJ, is pretty large. In fact, it is the third largest in PA after the Philadelphia-Wilmington-Camden MSA and the Pittsburgh MSA, respectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.