Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 02:55 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,526,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Exhibit A in why Southerners find Northerners arrogant.

PS--there are a lot more than one "Southern accent". Even in the same state. The "Appalachian" accent is the most "trailer park" sounding, if you must (think Dolly Parton). Then there are more "regular" Southern accents e.g. Bill Clinton, and the coastal "Charleston" accent, mentioned above as "non-rhotic".

The movie Steel Magnolias actually has many varieties of Southern, even though most of the actresses were not native to the South. Dolly P's was more of a "mountain" accent, most of the others were more "regular" Southern, and Olympia Dukakis's was the more upper-class/"Charleston" accent.

Hollywood is notorious for majorly botching Southern accents, but most of these actresses (especially Olympia, who can just as convincingly do a sharp NY accent (cf Moonstruck) did a great job, except that Sally Field completely lost her accent altogether in the cemetery scene.
You're right. To add to that, my parents are originally from a rural area about 40 miles inland from Myrtle Beach. There's a small community in the area called Beaver Dam. Only about 100-150 people in that area. They have an accent that I've never heard anywhere else in the South; not even in that surrounding area. It's just a very thick Southern, almost creole, accent. But has a hint of Scottish. Totally different!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 02:59 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,526,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scullyoftoronto View Post
No offence but who would want to sound southern? Southern accents remind me of trailer parks, lynchings and people marrying their cousins.
Ahhh! The sweet smell of ignorance and stereotyping All I have to say is, "Bless your heart"

Old 04-29-2016, 08:37 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,548,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Exhibit A in why Southerners find Northerners arrogant.
I agree.

However I remind you that it'd be unfair to paint all northerners to have that attitude.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:29 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,057,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I agree.

However I remind you that it'd be unfair to paint all northerners to have that attitude.
Yeah, these stereotypes are part of why there is tension n between northern and southern whites. The northeasterners I know in real life aren't like some posters on CD from the coastal northeast.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Yeah, these stereotypes are part of why there is tension n between northern and southern whites. The northeasterners I know in real life aren't like some posters on CD from the coastal northeast.
Likewise, I personally know and have met in passing many intelligent and compassionate southerners.

It's a shame that some people choose to perpetuate the stereotypes by either believing them or supporting them with words and/or actions.

It's also a shame that that sort of northerner is typically the type with enough money to regularly travel. Allowing dissenters to cherry pick their personalities as representative of all people north of Virginia and west of Texas.

I personally have nothing against the south, nor do I hold all southern people responsible for the bad eggs. I do, sadly, know somebody who does. Ironically they are from Tennessee and have severe self loathing.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:18 AM

150 posts, read 219,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Probably because Northern culture isn't stigmatized in the same way Southern culture is. I'm from Chicago, and I don't think I'd try to lose my Great Lakes accent if I moved to the South or anywhere else - in fact, I'd be more liable to consciously attempt to keep it. I imagine the only Northerners who'd take on Southern accents in any measurable time after moving would be ones who either (1) are exceptionally friendly and permeable in their speech patterns regardless of region or (2) strongly identify with Southern culture already - listen to country all the time, drive a pickup, etc.

All the same, I do worry sometimes that the increasing geographic mobility of average Americans will continue to hammer out our dialectal differences in the future. Of course, I guess most people wouldn't consider this a bad thing.

Yeah, that's definitely a thing. Moving to Ohio for college was the strongest reinforcement I've had in my life of my Chicago identity, including (largely subconsciously) exaggerating my own accent more - I guess I'd assumed beforehand that the Midwest was the Midwest and everyone in the region talked the same.
i know it sounds odd, but I always think of the North as actually being more blue collar/rough. Especially the Northeast. Chicago is a very working class city. You don't find as many "working class" cities in the South. It kind of ends at Baltimore.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:08 PM

300 posts, read 349,267 times
I think adapting your voice to go from a northern to southern accent is difficult than the other way around. I tried to speak southern once and it didn't work out

Old 06-18-2016, 10:35 PM

I may have mentioned this already; but many northerners do actually adopt southern accents when they live there.

It all depends on the person.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:04 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,990,657 times
A lot of times they develop an interesting hybrid accent of sorts, especially if they move to the rural/small town South where Southern accents are a good bit stronger.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
A lot of times they develop an interesting hybrid accent of sorts, especially if they move to the rural/small town South where Southern accents are a good bit stronger.
Aye. That very thing happened to me.

And as somebody pointed out waaaaaay back in this thread, rural northerners and northerners who tend to be laid back already take to the southern accent far more easily.

In fact, my odd mixture of accents alone caused my mother to start pronouncing some words southernly, and that was just off of hearing my second-hand southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.