Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 09:24 PM

7 posts, read 5,764 times

Advertisements

Because a person can't acquire a new accent after age 11-15. Also, not everyone absorbs language the same way. There are people that don't pick up a regional accent because of their personality (usually introverted) ect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 09:32 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvabread22 View Post
I hear a lot of Southerners say You Guys today- especially younger people. and its a new thing . In Virginia we used to always say Y'all. Now its more You Guys.\
I hear "you guys" once and I am finished with the one who said it. I hate and despise the "guys" word. Guys definition is a person of grotesque appearance. I don't want to know someone who calls another human a rude name like "grotesque."

Old 12-17-2015, 10:24 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christmastreee View Post
Because a person can't acquire a new accent after age 11-15.
Sure they can. I moved out to California when I was 17, and after a quarter decade there, I definitely have a Californian accent. One of my co-workers moved out to California when she was in her 20s. She came form the Bronx originally. She asked me one day if I wanted to hear her Bronx accent. And let me tell you, she had a Bronx accent but I would've never have known it if she hadn't told me.

I have to relate this story: I was looking for a street in Richmond, Virginia a couple years ago. I stopped and asked a group of old men how to find the street I wanted and they kept saying, "Turn right and you'll be on Palm (only they pronounced it 'Pahm). I kept saying I didn't want to go to Palm, and after about three repetitions, I finally understood what they were saying (so I'm a little slow). I wanted Parham St. And they were telling me to turn right and I would be on Pah-ham. I've don't think there's been many times I've felt more stupid. And those guys were probably cracking up when I left.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:42 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I hear "you guys" once and I am finished with the one who said it. I hate and despise the "guys" word. Guys definition is a person of grotesque appearance. I don't want to know someone who calls another human a rude name like "grotesque."
Get over yourself, sugar.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:01 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
It's not that serious.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:59 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Northerners don't have accents.
Northerners don't have accents? You've never noticed accents from Massachusetts and New York? And Chicago has its own, unique accent. I can spot a Chicago accent very quickly.

Wisconsin and Minnesota accents are also noticeable IMO.

To answer your question though, I think a lot of northerners who move south try to assimilate to their new area by trying to blend in, accents included. This may be easier for young people to do, like an earlier poster stated.

I think the West has the least accents overall.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:15 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Bless your heart.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:30 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Get over yourself, sugar.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:15 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Default Why don't northerners...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvabread22 View Post
Maybe some times. But in general. When Southerners move North, its amazing how quickly they can lose their accents . But you hear Northerners living in Georgia or TN and they still talk like Yankees. And they've lived there for years. You'd think living there their accents would at least soften up a bit. I hear people in Colonial Williamsburg. The Northern accents from the retirees there always jump out like a sore thumb. The worst part is they still seem think they speak better than Southerners. Its kind of insulting. But they don't understand how bad they sound to our ears. Why is this?
From my memories of experiences when I lived in the north, I could turn around and ask why is it that southerners don't lose their accents when they move north?
I recall that northerners by and large did not get agitated at southerners over things like their accents or other more trivial things.
I've lived in the south for over 35 years now but will never forget a few characters I've met down here over the years, including one not-too-bright dim bulb who, when stymied in an exchange of opinions with me, would eventually just sputter, "You Yankee!"

Old 12-22-2015, 06:21 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
From my memories of experiences when I lived in the north, I could turn around and ask why is it that southerners don't lose their accents when they move north?
I recall that northerners by and large did not get agitated at southerners over things like their accents or other more trivial things.
I've lived in the south for over 35 years now but will never forget a few characters I've met down here over the years, including one not-too-bright dim bulb who, when stymied in an exchange of opinions with me, would eventually just sputter, "You Yankee!"
As backwards as it sounds to the stereotypical outlook, modern southerners are largely more judgmental than northerners. Sure, there are definitely judgmental Yankees, buuuut it's not a cultural staple here to judge, belittle and hate the south as it seems to be in the south to judge, belittle and hate the north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.