Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state would you rather live in?
MI - Michigan 98 47.12%
IL - Illinois 110 52.88%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
Michigan has always reminded me of a southern state in the north.
I frequently and only half-jokingly refer to the UP as "Alabama with snow and Canadian accents." It's an intriguingly strange place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 08:20 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
Quote:
In what why?
Would you name the Southern states that you have been in?

Old 12-16-2009, 10:27 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,018 times
Quote:
Please tell me you're kidding. Have you ever been to Michigan? Or the South? I've lived in both and Michigan and the South, and they are about as similar as pickles and F-16s.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:47 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~NeonFire~ View Post
What state would you rather live in?
The one that doesn't have a terrorist prison.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The one that doesn't have a terrorist prison.
Guadamala?

Old 12-17-2009, 09:39 AM

902 posts, read 2,787,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Please tell me you're kidding. Have you ever been to Michigan? Or the South? I've lived in both and Michigan and the South, and they are about as similar as pickles and F-16s.
I currently live in Michigan and it just an opinion and yes I have been all over the south, it has been some years though.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:42 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
I miss the whole Michigan and South comparison as well. Lived in both the South as well as all over Michigan and see VERY little in common.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I currently live in Michigan and it just an opinion and yes I have been all over the south, it has been some years though.
I'm originally from Mi. I've been to and lived in alot of southern states. Florida, Alabama, Arkansa, Texas, New Mexico. Louisiana, Arizona, Georgia, California, Tennessee, Nevada,Oklahoma, and more........

No Comparison.

There may be a slight resemblence in some, but that's it.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:08 PM

5,977 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
This question really depends whether you prefer urban areas or rural areas. Illinois' biggest city, Chicago, is among the most vibrant and interesting in the United States. Michigan's largest city, Detroit, is among the most rundown, dangerous, and depressing in the United States. Illinois' scenery and life outside the Chicago metropolitan area is pretty uninspiring. Michigan's greatest parts are as far away from Detroit as possible, and the Upper Peninsula is gorgeous.

As someone who greatly prefers rural over urban areas, I would take Michigan in a heartbeat.

It's obvious the reason why Illinois is winning is because most people are obsessed with Chicago and associate all of Michigan with Detroit.
This is still a bit of an overgeneralization.

Yes overall, Michigan does have more natural beauty than Illinois. However in Illinois you just have to look a little bit harder but not that much. I refer you to Steve-O. The Shawnee Hills are basically Illinois's version of northern Michigan. Whoever compared the U.P. to Alaska in terms of population density is ridiculous. And like Steve-O said, the eastern side of the L.P. is just like Illinois, except with more forest patches.

As far as urban areas: Chicago maybe have much more to offer Detroit, (a big chunk of Chicago is still depressing, dangerous, and run-down, its just out of the way from the north side where most of the action is) but Michigan does have better smaller urban areas, if that means anything to anyone.

Illinois has no comparison to Grand Rapids. Peoria may come the closest, but still not much of a comparison. Ann Arbor has one of the most famous public universities in the midwest, and is considered a more vibrant interesting college town than Champaign-Urbana, and may indeed save SE Michigan. (It may become the Austin of the midwest). And with the exception of Evanston and maybe Oak Park, there are no suburbs that are as vibrant with young people in Chicagoland as Ferndale, Royal Oak, and Birmingham.

Honestly, the two states are not that far removed from each other, when you consider the whole world, or even the whole country.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:26 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,520,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~NeonFire~ View Post
What state would you rather live in?
I gotta go with Chicago and Illinois .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.