Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can people aged 30+ enjoy big city life?
Yes 67 94.37%
No 4 5.63%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 03:53 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times

Advertisements

yes. signed a 32 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 03:55 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,859,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The title of this thread "Older people over 30" caught my attention. The thought that younger folks think 30 is old really took me off guard . The answer to your question is yes, some people even at an advanced age like 40 or older still enjoy urban living. lol I don't live near a real big city so my opinion may not count for much, but I know that some senior citizens even enjoy the amenities of the city. Also cities like Chicago or DC have plenty of suburbs for those who don't like the density of big city living. I would check cost of living before moving to any coastal city. I would be willing to bet that Chicago is cheaper than is DC, and that will matter for your quality of life.
Please use a bold font next time. It makes it a lot easier for us 40 year olds to read. You know, with our advanced age and all.

OP: as we get older, our interests should change. Big cities will offer options for mature tastes. Museums immediately come to mind. All three cities can wear you out, in this regard.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:27 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,038,174 times
Hopefully, as we age, we build up not only life experience; but a better financial standing than what we had in our twenties. Which means there should be a bit more fluidity in our disposable income, even with a family to support. The gravy is being able to enjoy the big city amenities when we are old enough to be empty nesters.

Provided the gravy is part of the blue plate special...served during the early bird hour.....with the senior discount.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:09 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,943,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
As one ages, I think it can actually be a benefit to living in a city (better transit for elderly, better medical care, etc)
Yep-my Mom says this often and I doubt she'll ever live anywhere but the city. I also had an Aunt that lived in Boston and took the T into her 80s.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:21 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
Okay so now what am I supposed to do?! So far, I applied to 13 jobs in NYC, 3 jobs in DC, 9 jobs in Philly and 15 jobs in Chicago.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:25 PM

605 posts, read 491,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Okay so now what am I supposed to do?! So far, I applied to 13 jobs in NYC, 3 jobs in DC, 9 jobs in Philly and 15 jobs in Chicago.
Weren't you the guy from Fairfield CT looking into various Rust Belt cities including my hometown of Buffalo? How long have you been in Columbus, two weeks? Joking, but you haven't been there long, no?

Old 12-06-2015, 07:31 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcnkwcz View Post
Weren't you the guy from Fairfield CT looking into various Rust Belt cities including my hometown of Buffalo? How long have you been in Columbus, two weeks? Joking, but you haven't been there long, no?
Yes, that's me. I've been in Columbus for 5 months. I like it here, but I lost my job three months ago, and the job opportunities are very limited now. I don't want to be long term unemployed either, so that's why I added other cities to my job search now.

During the month of November, there were only FOUR jobs to apply to in Columbus, which is abysmal. And one of them rejected me via e-mail already. I also have a recruitment firm assisting me with my search here in Columbus. My career is very specialized, so in order to increase the number of job applications, I had no choice but to start applying in other cities now.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:30 PM

9,537 posts, read 16,527,663 times
I'm 66 and have lived in some of the biggest cities in the world. I am now retired and living in a small city in Central Florida. It's nice enough here, but I'm bored. I miss going into a big city, and going in by train. That doesn't exist here at all. There is barely any bus service. There isn't really any big city life here, as Tampa and Orlando don't feel like big cities to me. They feel like big suburbs. I miss the more open minded, and live and let live type people in the big cities. I miss being able to walk anywhere, and not be tied to a car. I miss going to a theater or café and then walk off to some other venue. I guess I really like the feeling of not having to own a car, and all the expense that comes with them. A big city gives one that freedom, that is if they pick one of the few there is in this country.

So yes people of all ages can live in big cities, or at least on the outskirts of them. It depends on the person and their background. I foresee myself returning to a larger more practical Metro after this year. I tried this retirement bit, and I don't think I will ever be ready for it. It's just way to slow and conservative for this guy. Maybe by age 90 if I live that long, but not right now.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:42 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Whenever I am in Manhattan, the older people seem to be enjoying themselves quite a bit. Probably because they can afford to live, eat, and go out for entertainment there.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:53 PM

4,510 posts, read 4,047,960 times
Actually I got the impression urban style cities were geared towards 30+. 20s are mainly for the colleges and then where ever they can get a job until they almost kill themselves out of boredom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.