Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can people aged 30+ enjoy big city life?
Yes 67 94.37%
No 4 5.63%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 05:09 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,282 times

Advertisements

I city may have amenities that different age groups can enjoy.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 12-08-2015 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 09:34 AM

451 posts, read 465,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Not that 30's is old, but what I'm getting at is that big city life tends to appeal to and attract 20-somethings. So, I am just curious if people in their 30's, 40's and older can enjoy or prefer big city living. The whole idea of big city living seems to be marketed to young people. But at the same time, there are many young people who prefer quiet, suburban living.

Also, one of the reasons I'm asking this is because I have not lived in a large city since I was 23 and now I'm 31 and concerned if I'm going to be too old to move to a city like Chicago, Philly or DC, since I'm looking for jobs in those places as we speak.

What do you think?
I find myself in a similar boat to you. I'm 34, single, and have been living in the Chicago suburbs (I go into Chi proper frequently). Before that, I lived in Los Angeles for 6 years.

It depends on your lifestyle/tastes and your state. I like the quantity of opportunities that a large metro offers, however, I'm at an age where I want a more sensible pace of living and I know specifically what I'm into. At least 70% of the stuff in Chicago and Los Angeles is stuff that I don't need. There are likely smaller cities that would suit me if they had the particular culture that I like. For that, I'm leaning towards mid-size metros in the southwest, or possibly expatriating to another country.

There are likely smaller cities that are small, but have the people/things that you need. Figure out where those places might be and go from there.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:45 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,929 times
CD posters act like 30 to 35 is old lol

Old 12-10-2015, 10:02 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,574,644 times
Where did this myth that big cities most appeal to people in their 20s come from? I see no evidence for that. The most urban areas in the country (Manhattan, San Francisco, DC) have tons of people in their 30s, 40s, 50s and up living there. More so than 20-somethings. Typically they make enough money to better be able to enjoy these expensive areas compared to someone recently out of college who is slumming it for several years.
Yes these cities are known for hip bars that appeal to 20-somethings, but that doesn't mean they don't have just as many, if not more, activities that appeal to older folks.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Where did this myth that big cities most appeal to people in their 20s come from? I see no evidence for that. The most urban areas in the country (Manhattan, San Francisco, DC) have tons of people in their 30s, 40s, 50s and up living there. More so than 20-somethings. Typically they make enough money to better be able to enjoy these expensive areas compared to someone recently out of college who is slumming it for several years.
Yes these cities are known for hip bars that appeal to 20-somethings, but that doesn't mean they don't have just as many, if not more, activities that appeal to older folks.

It came from the millions of Americans, young and old, who decided that "city is for singles, suburbs/small towns are for married people".

Old 12-10-2015, 03:11 PM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhiterose View Post
It came from the millions of Americans, young and old, who decided that "city is for singles, suburbs/small towns are for married people".

Yes many people are very good at categorizing, where we should live by our age and status in life. Yuck.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Yes many people are very good at categorizing, where we should live by our age and status in life. Yuck.
And those who blindly follow are called these:

Old 12-10-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
And those who blindly follow are called these:

In that case, Chicago ought to be a world-leading producer of wool.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:08 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
As I get older there are some aspects of living in a big city that I hate like the aggressive nature of the people. Living in a place where there are traffic jams 14 hours a day mixed in with parking issues dont appeal to me either. I love the big city "go get it done" attitude, culture and amenities. I dont like living in the suburbs with mc mansions and strip malls and too many chains.

For me I find a metro of around 3 million to be good but not any smaller. 10 million metro like Chicago became a little too hectic. 3 to 7 million is about right for me over the age of 40 as long as there is a thriving urban scene with row houses or similar type built environment with several neighborhoods to choose from.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:42 AM

173 posts, read 218,677 times
It's all a matter of perspective. There are people of all ages that enjoy city living. Same can be said for suburban and rural living too -- it's all just a matter of what you want. Of course, priorities do change the older you get. I have lived in cities for quite a long time, but once you hit your mid 30s and start a family (if that's your choice) then suddenly the city can become a burden. Between work and family obligations, you no longer have much time to hit up the great cafes and restaurants like you used to, so you start to ask yourself what's the point? There's little payoff to the small spaces, high cost of living, and crowded places. You also develop a need for additional living space. I'm not talking about a McMansion, just being able to turn around in your bedroom without causing an avalanche of Ikea furniture and clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.