Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 04:33 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times

Advertisements

One consistent topic I read in many of the threads is this, "Although I love (Chicago, SF, Seattle, KC, ... every other major city in the country), I would never want to raise my children there. It is not good for a family."

It amazes me that people think that suburbia is the place to run away to in order to raise a family. I raised my son in actually three cities (Milwaukee, Baltimore, and Boston) and never had a problem. My son loved the experiences and thanks me every day for NOT raising him in the burbs. He is now married and lives in a city.

I would love to read about folks who chose to raise their kids in a city and also from people who were raised in a city. Was it a good or bad experience? What city would you recommend or not recommend? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 05:48 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
My Dad was raised in STL until he was in Jr. High. He turned out fine.

Cities can be a fine place to raise kids. Keep them out of the most dangerous parts. Cities have a sense of community that suburbs sometimes don't. Cities also have a rich history, and often have more opportunities for kids than suburbs do. It's also more convenient usually.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:52 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
One consistent topic I read in many of the threads is this, "Although I love (Chicago, SF, Seattle, KC, ... every other major city in the country), I would never want to raise my children there. It is not good for a family."

It amazes me that people think that suburbia is the place to run away to in order to raise a family. I raised my son in actually three cities (Milwaukee, Baltimore, and Boston) and never had a problem. My son loved the experiences and thanks me every day for NOT raising him in the burbs. He is now married and lives in a city.

I would love to read about folks who chose to raise their kids in a city and also from people who were raised in a city. Was it a good or bad experience? What city would you recommend or not recommend? Thanks in advance!
Definitely not Philly! Nothing but monsters here,but they never go out of the city anyway so I guess it doesn't matter
As for raising your kids in the city,sure if you can afford the very best neighborhoods. But not everybody can.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:02 PM

809 posts, read 2,410,079 times
My dad grew up in the city of Pittsburgh and turned out just fine.

I think one day when I have kids I'd like to raise them in the city too.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:31 PM

552 posts, read 1,073,447 times
I grew up in Capitol Hill, Seattle and turned out alright. My contributions to humanity will be raised in an inner-city environment as well.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:32 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
My dad grew up in the city of Pittsburgh and turned out just fine.
That was generations ago,cities have changed.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:37 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,647 times
it's good for kids to try to go to the best schools within certain big cities. It's important to get out in the world with real-world street smarts. Not saying they won't be exposed to drugs, crime- but that's everywhere anyway in America. Sometimes, suburban & small-town kids are slightly too sheltered & that's not good either when they grow up...

Old 02-05-2008, 10:13 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
The Dallas/Fort Worth metro is supposed to be good for kids and families.

I've also heard good things about the Raleigh area. Good schools and such.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:49 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
My parents raised us (3 sons) in Newark and Washington D.C. and all of us attend city public schools and turned out just fine. My brothers kids all go to big city public schools. 2 finished and now go to college out of state. Coming from my family, raising kids in the city has worked out just fine, generation after generation.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:45 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
I wasn't raised in suburbia, but in the country, and it was fine, I guess, but boring as hell. I vowed to raise my future child(ren) in the city for the opportunities, arts, culture, and exposure to different lifestyles and ideas. So far it's working out. Suburbia is such an artificially constructed, barren, sterile environment with no history or character, I couldn't ever see myself or my family living there. I'd rather go back to a rural area. City or country for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.