Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 06:33 PM

9 posts, read 34,265 times

Advertisements

i live in miami and i'm black, never had a problem. but i say white people here have it bad because the alot of cubans always make racist remarks about whites alot and its getting worse. our white population have decreased big time

Old 07-13-2008, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 8,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
I hear the topic of race come up all the time on this forum. I believe in human rights for everyone no matter what. I am white but took my black ex boyfriend to Wisconsin, and they LOVED him in a city of 65,000 people with a .7% black population.

I have lived in the Tampa, FL area for a few years and I feel that the area is very tolerant. I see many interracial couples, and races mingling with each other.

This is a generalization I know but anything negative I have ever heard here seems to come from New Yorkers. What is the deal? I never would have thought. Has anybody else experienced this?
You are living in a dream !!!! I find that blacks are equally racists!!! Yes...You see some inter-racial couples hetero and homosexual. However, after teaching in the public school system for 35 years from elemtary through university- polarization is increasing. Personally, I would never live in a "mixed neighborhood." Too much crime and a poor quality of life. I would like to buy an Hawaian island and make MY RESTRICTIONS! Only college educated caucasians !!!! Yes.....at 69 years of age...I am ethnocentric! When I was 20...I even had a black girl friend. ( I was trying to become a famous jazz trumpet player...but was not good enough) However, as one ages, values and the quality of life become much more important !!!! Good health...Andre

Old 07-14-2008, 01:03 AM

763 posts, read 2,260,026 times
I live in a very ethnically diverse area, but the whole race thing isn't important.

But, racists still come here. There was one black youth who came into the bank to apply for a job (he was from the city) with saggy britches, untucked shirt, and believe it or not, an afro pick sticking up out of his hair.

Then came his lawyers crying "racism!" when he was denied employment. Turns out that about 2/3 of the employees were "minorities" of one sort or another, so it was thrown out.

That's the most common type of racist that we have here.

However, I would have to think very hard before I would move back to a city with a large "minority" population. Why? Because if I'm going to live in an ethnically diverse area, I would prefer that everyone be color blind, instead of one that is polarized as in most cities.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:28 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Thanks to whoever revived this ugly thread.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:37 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times
Probably Indiana. Not so much in my own neighborhood, but perhaps as a state Indiana wins. It's almost a subtle type of racism found here.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:07 AM

938 posts, read 3,505,260 times
I grew up in a "sundown town". For those of you who haven't heard, look here: Sundown Towns by James W. Loewen. I actually wasn't aware of my hometowns sundown status until a few weeks ago. I grew up in a town of 2,000 people in southern Missouri. Nearly everyone is white, around 97% of the population to this day. I always kind of figured this was because the lack of agriculture and industry in the area wouldn't have made it an attractive place for people of other races to move. Wrong. Racial slurs are very common there, even though there isn't anyone to discriminate against. Its not racially violent or anything, but I think most of the people there have little/no experience with other races besides what they have seen on TV, and are naturally scared of other races.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:19 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
I hear the topic of race come up all the time on this forum. I believe in human rights for everyone no matter what. I am white but took my black ex boyfriend to Wisconsin, and they LOVED him in a city of 65,000 people with a .7% black population.

I have lived in the Tampa, FL area for a few years and I feel that the area is very tolerant. I see many interracial couples, and races mingling with each other.

This is a generalization I know but anything negative I have ever heard here seems to come from New Yorkers. What is the deal? I never would have thought. Has anybody else experienced this?
You know, I've lived in most parts of the country, and I used to think that the answer would be The South.

However, living here now for fourteen years, I think it's really the northeast and midwest, especially in areas where you still have neighborhoods divided among ethnic lines such as Irish, Polish, Italian, etc.

I live in Alabama. To be honest, I was expected something out of In The Heat Of The Night when I moved here. We were pleasantly surprised at the complete lack of problems. Oh, sure, there's a mossback here and there. But blacks and whites work together, socialize together, etc. etc. In my time here, I have heard a racial epithet exactly twice, which is about ten times fewer than my Uncle's dinner table in Cleveland last Thanksgiving.

And I know there remain problems down here. But I have to admit that there seems to be a much greater degree of cooperation between the white and black communities than there ever was up north. I would also offer that that's a much harder thing to accomplish in the South, given that there is about a 33%/66% split between blacks and whites. It's easy to be pious in some place like Portland, Oregon, where the percentage of blacks is 2%. So I give both sides in the South brownie points for working through their differences, and not allowing attitudes to be dictated by the past.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:20 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
California has the most racist residents

Old 07-14-2008, 06:15 PM

304 posts, read 904,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
in your dreams

people dont even give it a thought here

unlike other cities who need to brag about "diversity", we just live our lives not even dwelling on that

Old 07-14-2008, 06:18 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
I honestly believe that the Northeast and Rust Belt states, particularly those with an excessive black underclass, a low education rate, and/or a slow economy have the most racist residents. In the sense of Northeast racists, it's definitely covert, based on believing and reinforcing stereotypes (as seen in the New Yorker's recent cover), and ignoring people (especially blacks) who break the poor-ol'-negro/hood-gangsta mold they are supposed to play in the eyes of these Yankees. And as far as I'm concerned, all of the diversity in the Northeast has done is to just add (model) minorities to the number of those who hate blacks. However, there are pockets in the Northeast like Montclair NJ, Manhattan, and Northern VA were there is racially affable relations between most minorities (including some generally looked-down upon minorities) Now as for the rust belt states, there is a lot of statistical evidence and recent events that solidifies those areas and states as racist heavens. However, during my time in the only rust belt city and region I've lived in, Pittsburgh and western PA, there wasn't really a race tension (at least in my personal experience); but then again, Pittsburgh isn't known for recent racial confrontations and ethnic divisions like Detroit, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Milwaukee, and Cleveland. Also, what I've noticed is that Midwestern people who aren't racist still look down upon the modern day black culture, but to blacks who don't fit into the stereotype, they usually accept with open arms. Now as for the South, even though they may have the most vocal and open racists, from what I've heard, if a Southerner isn't racist in front of your face, then the person is more likely not a racist. In fact, I have met plenty of people (particularly from the South) who consider themselves "rednecks" and aren't politically correct, but are good in heart and are in no ways racist. As for the farmland Midwest and Mountain States, it's more of ignorance and lack of exposure to minorities than racism that applies to them (this is the best case for the OP's Ex-boyfriend). After they know, usually, they'll take minorities as individuals. Now in the Southwest (including Central and Western Texas), Hispanics are more of the victims of racism with White-on-Hispanic (as well as Hispanic-on-White) acts while blacks are just witnesses. In special situations such as Hawaii and South Florida, as well as Atlanta and inner DC, whites are undeniably at risk for a greater exposure to racism than the minorities (whether they're the numeral majority or minority). And finally, the non-LA West Coast and Pacific Northwest, despite of it's lack of diversity, just don't give a damn about race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
in your dreams

people dont even give it a thought here

unlike other cities who need to brag about "diversity", we just live our lives not even dwelling on that
I believe that California is a special situation that has some of the most racist residents (LA Area) and some of the least racist residents (the rest of CA) in the country.

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 07-14-2008 at 07:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.