Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 03:25 PM

102 posts, read 100,977 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I am just trying to point out the stereotype of New England and fall foliage.

All my life I have experienced spectacular fall foliage of my own in Upstate New York as well as Pennsylvania and New Jersey, so it's puzzling to me why New England is the one that gets all the credit.

I love Vermont and New Hampshire. I had been before but I was younger so I took time out to see it on a trip last year. Massachusetts is no different than your usual drive down I-95. So is Connecticut and Rhode Island, but the biggest difference is those are coastal locations. They aren't noted for their mountain ranges. Your usual Northeastern deciduous trees.

But a state like Pennsylvania or Virginia, that has the colonial history, small towns and fall foliage/mountains not getting it's due is outrageous. You don't need to go to New England to get it.

Basically, they're all the same!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 05:37 PM

822 posts, read 856,483 times
One thing that seperates the North East foliage from other areas is the number of sugar maples. Those trees are the ones that have the bright red and crimson colors, some even a purple-ish color.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:07 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
One thing that seperates the North East foliage from other areas is the number of sugar maples. Those trees are the ones that have the bright red and crimson colors, some even a purple-ish color.
There are sugar maples galore across the Upper Midwestern states. According to Wikipedia, they're endemic basically everywhere in the northeastern quarter of the country.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:26 PM

Those pesky facts!

Old 02-15-2016, 08:17 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
New England has the brightest colors. The Falls are spectacular. I haven't seen any place that compares across the US.

As far as Upstate NY, it depends on who you ask. I always considered the area along the Vermont and Mass border part of New England.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
New England has the brightest colors. The Falls are spectacular. I haven't seen any place that compares across the US.

As far as Upstate NY, it depends on who you ask. I always considered the area along the Vermont and Mass border part of New England.

I just don't buy that two tiny states (VT, NH) comprise the bulk of the best fall foliage in America, sorry.

I grew up in Upstate NY and in my experience, there is basically zero difference in fall foliage from Vermont down to Virginia, concerning the East.

I grew up right near the ****ing Adirondacks. No way New England is better than that, sorry.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:15 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post

as much of a Midwest homer that I am, this is undeniably true that the best color is produced by the sugar maples and the fact is the the upper New England states have the greatest concentration of these trees anywhere in the world. There is a reason that all that yummy maple syrup comes from there. You have to see it to believe it as pictures just don't do it justice as compared to seeing it in person. Not to mention that they do fall festivals and decorating better than anywhere else and have the greatest concentration of covered bridges and church steeples poking up through those vibrant canopies. Hundreds of farms and B & Bs tucked in among the rolling hills and 2-lane highways. Then you have the coastal areas with the fishing villages and lighthouses. No not the only area with fall foliage (or maples) but definitely the best.

(my pics)

Old 02-15-2016, 09:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
^^^Gorgeous pictures! The Colorado Aspen are lovely, too.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:51 PM

Cool pictures of Upstate New York in the Fall!

Old 02-15-2016, 10:20 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManWhoSoldtheWorld View Post
Cool pictures of Upstate New York in the Fall!
not there, buy a compass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.