Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 11:55 AM

643 posts, read 1,122,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
You should probably elaborate if your reason against Phoenix is safety....there are several cities in the U.S. that are as dangerous or moreso than Phoenix.

Phoenix is mainly because it is in a desert and due to the intense heat. Some areas are 'no go' as in every city. Sprawl is one of the main reasons i couldn't live there.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:47 PM

35 posts, read 32,393 times
Let me give a reverse answer: the NYC area and PNW are the only areas in the city I WOULD live in.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:54 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,561,298 times
I would never live in a place where it's cold most of the year. I hate winter weather! So in the U.S., I'd never live in Alaska, Montana, Idaho, the Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, or New England.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:05 PM

769 posts, read 1,730,693 times
I can't live anywhere where there is a winter. Anything under 70 degrees is uncomfortable, under 60 is just unbearable. This basically rules out every city in the US besides Miami and Honolulu. LOL I hate the cold. Miami has perfect weather. The "winter" or dry-season is November - March and is mostly highs in the low 70s and sunny clear skies. The wet-season, April-October is mostly highs between 85-90 and lows of ~75. I would say April-October probably 50-60% of days it rains in the afternoon. Nothing like NW rain, just a slight warm drizzle but it's enough to blow away the humidity and keep the temperatures under 90. We only have a few days over 90 per year. I love this weather.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:42 AM

255 posts, read 881,934 times
No offense to anyone. I've met great people from these places but here goes:

Detroit, chicago,
Most of midwest.
Anywhere where people have 2 first names like billy bob, annie sue, peggy lee,
And say "down yonder".

Old 04-25-2011, 10:56 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
I guess I should update my listing to a generalization of places that are too green in color.
AZ, CO, UT, NV, and NM are my favorite spots due to the even mix of mountain and desert areas.
To me, being able to see red/brown and all around in every direction gives me a sense of well-being.

CA, OR, WA, most of the MidWest, the South, and the Northeast are pretty much off my "desirable" list due to either too many trees all over the place, or too much coastline.
Too much green makes me feel confined and the coastline just gives me the sense that I'm living at the end of something.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:43 AM

318 posts, read 870,216 times
I would never AGAIN live where I do now, Alamosa, CO; I'm sticking around only because I'm finishing my degree.

I would never live in the state of Rhode Island. The few times I've gone there have left a very sour taste in my mouth, so to speak.

In fact, I think it's safe to say that all of New England is off limits. I didn't care for any of it, though some parts of NY were nice. And I'm not big on winter snow, either.

Unless I could find a place that was suuuuuper affordable (I like neighborhoods with $100k homes), I don't think I'll ever live in CA, anywhere, despite it being beautiful in spots.

Otherwise, in the meantime, I have to figure out where I want to go by this December, probably earlier. Hmmmmmmm.... lol.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:56 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamosakid View Post
I would never AGAIN live where I do now, Alamosa, CO; I'm sticking around only because I'm finishing my degree.

I would never live in the state of Rhode Island. The few times I've gone there have left a very sour taste in my mouth, so to speak.

In fact, I think it's safe to say that all of New England is off limits. I didn't care for any of it, though some parts of NY were nice. And I'm not big on winter snow, either.

Unless I could find a place that was suuuuuper affordable (I like neighborhoods with $100k homes), I don't think I'll ever live in CA, anywhere, despite it being beautiful in spots.

Otherwise, in the meantime, I have to figure out where I want to go by this December, probably earlier. Hmmmmmmm.... lol.
I'll admit that area of CO is quite bland, drive through there quite often when picking up dog-food in Denver and going to either Flagstaff or Phoenix with it.
But the rest of CO shouldn't be painted with a broad-brush.
I live in CA right now and consider the Grand Junction and Denver areas a step-up from my current locale.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:12 PM

35 posts, read 32,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
We only have a few days over 90 per year. I love this weather.

You live in Miami and claim there are only a "few days over 90" per year? Seriously??? You must be in denial or never look at a thermostat. Your average for 3 months out of the year is in the lower 90s.

Average Weather for Miami, FL - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 04-25-2011, 01:33 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY1984 View Post
You live in Miami and claim there are only a "few days over 90" per year? Seriously??? You must be in denial or never look at a thermostat. Your average for 3 months out of the year is in the lower 90s.

Average Weather for Miami, FL - Temperature and Precipitation

It depends on where you look I guess...this chart Average Weather for Miami, FL - Temperature and Precipitation from the World Meteorological Organization, shows all average highs in Miami below 90. That would logically lead to the assumption that there are but a few days of above 90 temps each month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.