Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 11:30 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,812,398 times

Advertisements

That last part is not true.
Allen's Landing on the north side of downtown Houston has landing in the title for a reason. Ships used to dock there. The Allen Brothers supposed sailed up Buffalo bayou and chose that spot to start the City of Houston.

Yes ,Buffalo bayou has been deepened multiple times, but that's to allow for bigger boats, not that it wasn't navigable before. The original port of Houston was in downtown Houston at Allen's Landing

From Wikipedia:

In August 1836, just months after the Republic of Texas won its independence from Mexico, two New York real estate developers, John Kirby Allen and Augustus Chapman Allen, purchased 6,642 acres (26.88 km2) of coastal prairie and settled the town of Houston on the banks of Buffalo Bayou.[1] The present-day landing area was advertised as the head of navigation of the bayou[1] and served as the city's first wharf.

You can see boats actually docked downtown Houston in an old pic on this site: https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/...ens-landing-tx

Also I hear over and over that the Houston ship channel was built after the Galveston Hurricane or because of the hurricane, or boomed after the hurricane. None of that is true. The Galveston hurricane was around 1900. The Ship Channel was built in 1836 and was already the biggest port in Texas by 1900. OIL was the driver of that port. Whether Galveston was devastated or not had little to do with Houston. Galveston was doomed after the hurricane because it is on a barrier island. It did not get doomed because of the port of Houston

Last edited by atadytic19; 09-12-2021 at 11:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 02:00 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,588,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
typo. replace Mexico with California.

about 190 miles from Phoenix to Puerto Penasco
Right you are , Baja California Mexico......

Old 09-12-2021, 04:50 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,026,322 times
The thread is about NAVIGABLE bodies of water. Too many are simply naming a river next to a city such as the Chattahouchee by Atlanta. That river does not have any barge traffic, nor does the Trinity in Dallas.

Someone did list Tulsa which has the Arkansas River. It is a navigable body of water.

Old 09-12-2021, 05:11 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,174,498 times
Raleigh was founded because of proximity to a tavern, not a navigable river. The Neuse is to the east of the city but I'm not certain that it's practically navigable or not at that point. Frankly, I am not sure that any of NC's Piedmont cities are river based.

Old 09-12-2021, 10:18 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Raleigh was founded because of proximity to a tavern, not a navigable river. The Neuse is to the east of the city but I'm not certain that it's practically navigable or not at that point. Frankly, I am not sure that any of NC's Piedmont cities are river based.
They aren't. In the interior Piedmont, rivers aren't navigable but they proved ideal power textile mills as they often feature falls or rapids or are otherwise dammed to provide power. The Cape Fear River is the only one in NC that empties directly into the Atlantic within the borders of the state (which is why Wilmington is the only sizable true river city in NC) with the others flowing out to neighboring states or emptying into the sounds between the outer barrier islands and the mainland. The state's coastal geography just isn't all that conducive to the development of major port cities.

https://movingnorthcarolina.net/unhelpful-rivers/

Old 09-12-2021, 10:23 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,402,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Dallas is the biggest city with no navigable water, the Trinity River isn't navigable.

Other cities include Las Vegas, Phoenix, Denver, Colorado Springs, Salt Lake City, and Atlanta.

I'm not sure if Raleigh has a navigable river. I'm not sure if the Truckee River is navigable in Reno but it only leads to Lake Tahoe and Pyramid Lake so its a closed system anyway. I don't think the Rio Grande is navigable at El Paso.

I don't think Houston had a navigable waterway until the Houston Ship Channel was built to move more port operations to Houston after the Galveston hurricane.
Does Texas have any rivers that are actually navigable? The Colorado looks like a navigable river in Austin only because it's a dammed reservoir.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:10 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Does Texas have any rivers that are actually navigable? The Colorado looks like a navigable river in Austin only because it's a dammed reservoir.
I think the Rio Grande is navigable in its lower reaches. However by the time you get to El Paso its not navigable anymore.

Also, Phoenix, Orlando, Birmingham, Denver, and Colorado Springs are also major cities not on a navigable waterway. Orlando is built on Lake Eola but that doesn't lead anywhere. I think Birmingham also grew around railroads and heavy industry.

Old 09-21-2021, 01:04 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,588,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
The thread is about NAVIGABLE bodies of water. Too many are simply naming a river next to a city such as the Chattahouchee by Atlanta. That river does not have any barge traffic, nor does the Trinity in Dallas.

Someone did list Tulsa which has the Arkansas River. It is a navigable body of water.
Yes starting at the Port Of Tulsa/Catoosa , The Arkansas River Flows Into The Mississippi River
Which Flows Into The Ocean South Of New Orleans.

Ocean Going Barges Dock At The Port Of Tulsa/Catoosa OK.....

Last edited by Howest2008; 09-21-2021 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: q

Old 09-21-2021, 01:14 PM

4,611 posts, read 3,003,049 times
Bakersfield, CA

Old 09-27-2021, 11:49 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times
El Paso since the Rio Grande is not navigable at that point and its so shallow you can walk across it.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.