Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 11:10 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
looks like NC and VA were more deep south than SC
And FL and TN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 02:29 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,727,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And FL and TN.
Keep in mind this map is from 1968, Florida has experienced the greatest change in the south since that time but this does show to what extent the deep south extended into Florida.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:35 PM

562 posts, read 1,126,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
FYI....North Carolina definitely touches the ocean.

There are parts of NC; especially Eastern NC, that could easily be mistaken for being in Alabama or Mississippi.

I think the real cultural distinction in the south (and I know it's by far the strongest distinction in the state of NC) is "Appalachia" vs "Piedmont" vs "Coastal Plain". Some southern states have all three represented pretty well (VA, NC, SC, GA), some are dominated by Appalachia/Piedmont (WV, KY, TN, AK), some are dominated by Coastal Plain ( MS, AL, FL, LA, East TX). Culturally the distinctions lie more with those geographic distinctions more-so than state boundaries.
Totally agree with you!!!

Old 04-30-2016, 05:01 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
In the Deep South I would put my money on Baton Rouge for sure. Growth has been phenomenal there, likewise its economy.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:12 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I think the real cultural distinction in the south (and I know it's by far the strongest distinction in the state of NC) is "Appalachia" vs "Piedmont" vs "Coastal Plain". Some southern states have all three represented pretty well (VA, NC, SC, GA), some are dominated by Appalachia/Piedmont (WV, KY, TN, AK), some are dominated by Coastal Plain ( MS, AL, FL, LA, East TX). Culturally the distinctions lie more with those geographic distinctions more-so than state boundaries.
Agree, but Alabama isn't mostly dominated by Coastal Plain, Birmingham is probably the most hilliest major city in the South.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:20 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
Here is map of the 1968 election by county. Anything in deep red is the deep south. Granted the south has come a long way since those days but this is really good data for this discussion.
Funny. Regardless, as I've said before, the Deep South barely reaches in Texas. If we use this map, this shows exactly that. Side note: Interesting how the percentage for this candidate in 1968 changes once you cross Maryland into Pennsylvania.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:24 PM

44 posts, read 44,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
You are 100% wrong! Tennessee is quintessentially deep south through and through.
No Tennessee is not Deep South. It is a southern state no doubt but it is not far down enough to be considered "Deep South".

Old 04-30-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Side note: Interesting how the percentage for this candidate in 1968 changes once you cross Maryland into Pennsylvania.
I noticed that myself. That is the original Mason Dixon line and it is somewhat glaring on this map. I don't think you would see that in today's Maryland and no way in Delaware. This was obviously the very last vestiges of the old south in those states.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreskop View Post
No Tennessee is not Deep South. It is a southern state no doubt but it is not far down enough to be considered "Deep South".
Culturally the western 1/4 of Tennessee is in the deep south. You are getting into the Mississippi Delta and cotton country. My Dad is from a farm right outside Dyersburg TN, my relatives in that area consider themselves to be apart of the deep south.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:51 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Funny. Regardless, as I've said before, the Deep South barely reaches in Texas. If we use this map, this shows exactly that. Side note: Interesting how the percentage for this candidate in 1968 changes once you cross Maryland into Pennsylvania.
If you go by that map, it makes Arkansas and North Carolina more Deep South than South Carolina.

Southeast Texas is undeniably the Deep South, as far as I'm concerned; right along with the rest of the central Gulf Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.