Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 11:22 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
If you go by that map, it makes Arkansas and North Carolina more Deep South than South Carolina.

Southeast Texas is undeniably the Deep South, as far as I'm concerned; right along with the rest of the central Gulf Coast.
From my experiences on visiting and living in the Deep South, if Southeast Texas is considered the Deep South, it must be outside the Houston metro and the Golden Triangle as that is an extension of basically Southwest Louisiana. But that's me. I do not find Houston as a Deep South city. As far as Arkansas, Southern and Central Arkansas is more like Mississippi and the Delta than it is like Northwestern Arkansas. You see people in here say Memphis gives off a Deep South feel and I can see that though I think it abruptly ends once you get just a few miles north of West Memphis when going towards the bootheel. But Crossett, Lake Providence, Cleveland, and Ruston are very much alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 11:39 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
Keep in mind this map is from 1968, Florida has experienced the greatest change in the south since that time but this does show to what extent the deep south extended into Florida.
I understand. The map is interesting nonetheless.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:23 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
New Orleans is in the biggest real estate boom right now. It is unreal down there.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:51 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
From my experiences on visiting and living in the Deep South, if Southeast Texas is considered the Deep South, it must be outside the Houston metro and the Golden Triangle as that is an extension of basically Southwest Louisiana. But that's me. I do not find Houston as a Deep South city. As far as Arkansas, Southern and Central Arkansas is more like Mississippi and the Delta than it is like Northwestern Arkansas. You see people in here say Memphis gives off a Deep South feel and I can see that though I think it abruptly ends once you get just a few miles north of West Memphis when going towards the bootheel. But Crossett, Lake Providence, Cleveland, and Ruston are very much alike.
I don't necessarily disagree in regards to Houston, but I feel the same about New Orleans. Both cities have the cultural and historical ties to the Deep South, and they certainly have the landscape, but they are their own entities within the larger region.

Still, you can't have nicknames like "Bayou City" or "Magnolia City" with no Deep South heritage.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:46 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I don't necessarily disagree in regards to Houston, but I feel the same about New Orleans. Both cities have the cultural and historical ties to the Deep South, and they certainly have the landscape, but they are their own entities within the larger region.

Still, you can't have nicknames like "Bayou City" or "Magnolia City" with no Deep South heritage.
I don't necessarily attach bayou with deep south. More like gulf coast. Because even South Florida uses the term bayou and people have a hard time considering South Florida Southern let alone deep south. I do hear you on magnolia city.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:51 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
New Orleans is in the biggest real estate boom right now. It is unreal down there.
The job market can't support it, it's basically a bunch of New Yorkers coming in a buying up property.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:12 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
Tallahassee

Old 05-02-2016, 07:11 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
Have many of you folks considered that the definition of "Deep South" has evolved to something different from your understanding of the term? It's interesting to me that those who use the term appear to be from other regions outside the South. As such, they don't really understand the South. I mean, Mercedes and BMW automobiles are built in the "Deep South" today. Most of the immigration today is to cities in "Deep South". What's this obsession with who's/what's "Deep South" and what's not? Not long ago, Atlanta was a considered "Deep South". Last I checked, that city has not been moved to somewhere else north of the Mason-Dixon. True Southerners today don't think of one section being "Deep South" and another section as not being "Deep South". That's just stupid.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:12 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,241 times
austin for sure,jacksonville, raleigh, nashville ,atlanta . alot of them actually
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.