Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 04:29 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times

Advertisements

No, I don't think so. My mom is German-American and hates cold/cloudy weather. That's why we moved to Arizona when I was little....so she could escape the weather in DC (which really isn't that cold or cloudy compared to a lot of the country). My grandmother is from Germany and is the exact same way. I have friends who are British/Irish descent who prefer sunshine and hate the rain/cold too. This is just my personal experience, so this is not to say that there might be some correlation between ancestral heritage and climate preference as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 08:27 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,112 times
From what I can tell, not really. There might be some small role that ancestral heritage plays, but people's individual preferences have far more impact on what type of climate they like. Often times, people related to each other can't agree.

For example, I'm of part German and part Armenian heritage, and I think that warm and sort of humid summer days are great (think like 90 degrees during the day and maybe 65 at night.) I also like snow. Go figure.

Old 02-01-2023, 09:25 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
My ancestry is 2/3 British Isles with the rest being a split between Poland and Italy/Greece (most southern Italians have some Greek ancestry.)

I grew up in New Jersey. I always knew I didn't like winter but it took me a while to figure out why. I lived in NC then back to NJ. Lived in SC then back north to Philly. Then I lived in Queensland, Australia for a few years, then the Bay Area, now Orlando.

I don't mind the cold but I really dislike the relentless gray and the short days of winter in the northeast. Cloudy/rainy days here and there are fine but 4 or 5 days in a row with two days of sun then 4 or 5 days of clouds starts to wear on me. I could not live in Ireland or Poland and be well.

That Mediterranean climate is my preference - the Bay Area - especially the South Bay where it's a little warmer/sunnier/drier is amazing. So is SoCal. I've been to Barcelona, Valencia, Sardinia, etc. Spain and Italy and that's similar weather although further north than the Bay Area so a little bit darker and a little bit cooler in winter.

I like the subtropical climate only slightly less. Orlando has fantastic weather for about 6 months and tolerable weather for another 2. The heat and humidity from mid-May to mid-September is relentless. Brisbane has very similar weather during the dry (winter) season but in the summer the humidity is usually 10-15% lower and the temperature is usually 2-5F lower so the heat index is much different. I would definitely take that weather. Charleston is also great. Same hot summer situation as Orlando but it doesn't last as long.

Old 02-01-2023, 09:56 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
I have ancestry from England and Hungary, but this is from generations back and I do not find either of their climates appealing. They are too cloudy for my liking and eastern Europe tends to have cold, bleak winters while the British Isles barely have true summer conditions at all. I think Budapest has some resemblance to Pittsburgh in terms of its setting and climate, which isn't my preference for the majority of the year but they are both great places to visit.

Atlanta's climate is pretty reasonable as it is varied enough to be interesting, has plenty of rain year round, adequate sunshine outside of the winter months and is not overly sweltering in summer like lower altitude/latitude parts of the South. I have lived in Austin previously which has more intense summer heat and erratic rainfall patterns. Southern California where I grew up tends to be comfortable in terms of temperature, but monotonous and overly dry for most of the year. All of these American Sunbelt weather regimes suit me better than my ancestral parts of Europe nonetheless.

Old 02-01-2023, 11:25 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Good OP, but imo no. Look at how diverse NYC and California are.

Old 02-01-2023, 12:37 PM

1,031 posts, read 561,806 times
I need to ask my ancestors why I was made with a system that doesn’t agree with winter. When it’s cold I get attacked with upper respiratory problem morphing into bronchitis and requires IV shots.-one factor I could never live in NYC again. You’d think the Japanese part is durable in cold winter.

Old 02-01-2023, 12:55 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,787,825 times
I am (I think) maybe 4th or 5th generation but I know my ancestors are mostly from Germany with an assist from Ireland. I lived most of my life in New Jersey, but most of the last 18 in the Desert Southwest, and it's almost too cold for me here, and we get off cheap. Perhaps the equator would make me stop complaining about winter. Or at least Hawaii. But I do enjoy dry as well. So I guess that rules out the equator!

Old 02-01-2023, 06:27 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
It might influence in the opposite manner. My ancestry was mostly coastal Europe and western Ireland. I prefer the low humidity 4-season climate of the high desert -- no ocean close by.

Old 02-01-2023, 07:29 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Good OP, but imo no. Look at how diverse NYC and California are.
Lol thanks I guess? It’s weird seeing one of my old threads get resurrected from the dead.

Old 02-01-2023, 08:05 PM

6,373 posts, read 4,985,124 times
It's an interesting question. I don't know if there's any data on this, and there's no way it wouldn't be confounded by e.g. income inequality and racial diversity in different places, but I'd be interested if African-Americans in the PNW have higher rates of depression compared to AAs in the Southwest and Mountain West, where annual sunlight is much higher. (And specifically, if those differences in depression rates by region are greater than the differences in white depression rates)

Personally, I'm a white American mutt of Central/Eastern European nations, and I enjoy every kind of weather, including the baking Southwest heat that doesn't occur anywhere in Europe.

One of my best friends is Indian-American, and lives in the Midwest, and regularly goes for walks in below-freezing temperatures in shorts and a t-shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.