Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 06:10 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Segregation Still Widespread in US Cities

WASHINGTON - The segregation of minority groups is still widespread in the United States, despite the country's increasingly multiracial population, two studies said.
Blacks and whites continue to live in separate neighborhoods of US cities with large black populations, said the Civil Rights Project, Harvard University's research center, after analyzing census data gathered in 2000.

It said the most segregated US city was New York, followed by Stockton in California, Houston, Sacramento, San Francisco, Los Angeles/Long Beach, Vallejo-Fairfield-Napa, San Diego, Detroit, Michigan and Atlanta.

The findings were echoed by another report by John Logan, a professor of sociology and director of the Lewis Mumford Center for Comparative Urban Research at the State University of New York.

"In the metropolitan areas where most blacks, Hispanics and Asians live, we see little if any change in segregation levels from 1990," it said.

"The average white person continues to live in a neighborhood that looks very different from those neighborhoods where the average black, Hispanic and Asian live."

A typical American white person lives in a neighborhood that is 83 percent white and seven percent black, the Logan report said. It said 70 percent of whites live in residential suburbs, compared to only 40 percent of blacks.

Half the US Hispanic population live in urban ghettos, the report said.

Gary Orfield, the head of Harvard University research team, said neighborhood integration "has remained a goal of public policy and popular opinion because it is seen as proof of the American ideal of equal opportunity.

"But, in fact, the growth of minority populations and the absence of improvement in segregated living patterns has meant that Hispanics and Asians now live in slightly more isolated settings than they did in 1990.

"Very few people want to live in all-minority neighborhoods," Orfield said, attributing the trend to a "combination of fear and discrimination."

The Harvard researcher said significant changes in federal and local policies are needed to reduce existing segregation, which is inconsistent with anti-discrimination legislation passed some 30 years ago by Congress.

"There has never been more than a very small enforcement effort however," Orfield said, adding that "even with the additional efforts of private fair housing groups and lawyers for individual plaintiffs, discrimination is still widespread."

Copyright © 2001 AFP

###

Printer Friendly Version E-Mail This Article

I would say Detroit is the most segregated city in the US, by far. Others that usually get mentioned are Milwaukee and Buffalo. Here's a more recent list:Milwaukee is most segregated city: U.S. Census analysis | Jet | Find Articles at BNET

and more lists and info.:Most Segregated Cities For Blacks in 2000 : Rachel’s Tavern

Chicago Named America's Most Segregated City - Black Christian News

CensusScope -- Segregation: Dissimilarity Indices

There you go, America's most segregated cities. SF, NYC, LA and DC wow you Libs are so openminded ! Wow only 2 cities in the South? Those terrible Conservative Southerners, always wanting to live next to others of a different race As I said before, this whole Liberal thing is so played out.
I would say Detroit is the most segregated city in the US, by far. Others that usually get mentioned are Milwaukee and Buffalo. Here's a more recent list:Milwaukee is most segregated city: U.S. Census analysis | Jet | Find Articles at BNET

and more lists and info.:Most Segregated Cities For Blacks in 2000 : Rachel’s Tavern

Chicago Named America's Most Segregated City - Black Christian News

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 06:17 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Well I was surprised at that article. I always knew that SF, NYC and DC were very segregated, but Houston? I always felt that Chicago and Detroit were very segregated but they were not on the list. That article is pretty accurate for the most part though, although SF and NYC people will get mad at the truth.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:34 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Well I was surprised at that article. I always knew that SF, NYC and DC were very segregated, but Houston? I always felt that Chicago and Detroit were very segregated but they were not on the list. That article is pretty accurate for the most part though, although SF and NYC people will get mad at the truth.
Huh? I think the articles stated that Detroit and Chicago were very segregated too. I didn't see San Fran or DC(I think) in there for being segregated. I did see NYC in there though. Heck, in NYC, the segregation is not only racial but ethnic too, regardless of race.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:11 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phila215 View Post
Well, if a person is "close-minded" on a lot of issues then I guess they aren't very liberal. Many people who consider themselves to be liberals tend to have a high tolerance of others who don't share or live lifestyles identical to their own.
Maybe for gays, but that's probably it. As for tolerance of other races, not just cultures, but other races, that's basically it, TOLERANCE! Now genuine acceptance for some minorities by liberals (in the part of the country I'm in) is a whole other story.
Quote:
They tend to support freedom for the individual.
Maybe freedom "de jure," but "de facto" freedom is a thing seen by many "liberals" I know as reserved for certain people and forbidden to be enjoyed by others. Just have a non-black or non-Latino person ask the typical white/Asian liberal if they are willing to date a successful, educated, funny, charismatic, outgoing dude who is of Latino or Black descent.
Quote:
NYC is one of the most segregated cities/regions??? Um, have you ever been throughout the entire city? I doubt you have because if you had you would know that the comment you made is not true.
Newsflash: The city doesn't just consist of Manhattan, but all of the boroughs. And as for the boroughs, yes, they are HIGHLY segregated. Now whether it was through historical ethnic enclaves established the ethnic group themselves or through the government(s)/real estate industry, that's for another threads.

As far as I'm concerned when it comes to towns, regardless of political ideology, as long as it's a place where I can be seen for my personality instead of my skin color (along w/ a plentiful amount of single twenty-somethings), I'll be fine. As long as I'm treated as an equal, I couldn't care less if it's some "typical American" city where church, high school and college football, Wal-Mart, BBQs, blonde girls w/ a twang accent, and NASCAR dominate (sides to the fact that I'm a Christian, I love Southern girls, I enjoy the things of a more slower-paced atmosphere, and God knows I'm long overdue for going to church). In fact, seeing what I've dealt with, an affably integrated conservative town would be a really long-due break for me.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:21 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
I read that article too, and one thing that I found interesting was that cities that were established and settled prior to the civil rights movement found themselves in a situation in with segregation is entrenched and a bit hard to get rid of as it becomes self-perpetuating. as such, the newer sunbelt cities tend to be more integrated as they were built after covenants and redlining so neighborhoods were not as firmly established along ethnic and/or racial lines (when the Chicago tribune ran the article it interviewed a wealthy white person who relocated to chicago and chose the neighborhood one would expect a wealthy white person to chose because he stated he knew people there, it then interviewed a wealthy african american person who relocated to chicago for business reasons who chose to move to a wealthy african american neighborhood for the same exact reasons the white person choose to move to the neighborhood he ended up in). As far as ethnic neighborhoods are concerned, I used to work with a girl who moved to Chicago from Poland when she was a teenager and they specifically chose to live in a Polish neighborhood for the simple reason that they knew that there would be other people in the neighborhood who spoke Polish (they didn't really speak English when they moved here), and they relied on their neighbors and neighborhood community centers to help them learn the ropes of living in the US (and to learn English). She no longer lives in that neighborhood and has since moved out to the suburbs, but ethnic neighborhoods serve a very distinct purpose in helping new immigrants establish themselves in the US and have a long history of doing exactly that.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Let's stick to listing cities, not defining and analyzing liberalism and conservatism. This thread has too much content that belongs in General US to be moved to P&OC.

If you want to discuss these off-topic things, start a new thread in P&OC.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:17 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Would it be fair then to say that all the red states that actually voted for Bush for a second time in 2004, would it be plausible that sht4brainz was dosed into their drinking water

Cause that's the only explanation I can think of to explain that madness.
Have you ever thought that maybe if the democrats had chosen a more viable option, then Bush may have actually lost that election?
Do you realize that many of those red staters are your next door neighbors?

A shocking amount of people cast their votes with the mindset of who is the more palatable of the candidates and Bush's worst term was his second one.
Lots of reasons this happened and none of it was in the water.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Oh yeah, I would say, San Fran., Portland, Seattle, NYC, Boston, Denver, Columbus OH and most college towns across the country.
Liberalism in Boston:
-Growing up in Boston people had two pictures on their wall. Jesus and JFK. The people of this city will stick with the Kennedys no matter what. They do not seem to realize that the liberalism of today bears very little resemblance to JFK's brand of liberalism.
-Intellectual Liberalism is a whole lot of baby boomers whose glory years were in the 60s.
They have spent the last 40 years trying to relive that time in their lives. Fighting conservative ideals makes them feel young again. It is pathetic!
Progressive or regressive?
You make the call.

The San Francisco of Mike Stone (Streets of San Francisco) does not exist anymore. It used to be a hard working, blue collar city of salt of the earth people.
It is now a freak show where women walking their babies are not safe from the nose ring wearing pot smokers and gangs of homeless accosting them.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:42 AM

Sorry mod.
I typed my replies before reading your admonition.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:09 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
The off-topic portion of the conversation above this can stay, but consider this fair warning that off-topic replies below this one will be deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.