Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 07:17 AM

4 posts, read 5,033 times

Advertisements

Awesome, thank you everyone! I've read several articles on the topic, but they frequently use criteria that doesn't look at single, middle aged lesbians. It seems like they usually look at couples or young people. Plus it's always better in my opinion to get insight from real people who have lived places, rather than numbers a computer generated. It feels good to have lots to work with. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 07:28 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
What's the source for this? Based on other articles that I've read, this would be about 3 times the LGBT percentage of population in San Francisco.

<<In the Gallup survey, the variation in the percentage of people who identify as gay is relatively narrow, with San Francisco’s percentage just 2.6 percentage points higher than the national average of 3.6 percent. The lowest-ranking metro area — Birmingham, Ala. — is just one point below the national average.>>

Poll: Columbus ranks 15th in cities with highest gay population | The Columbus Dispatch
They might have been talking about city proper rather than metro area.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:44 AM

33 posts, read 34,064 times
I would also heartily recommend Northampton, Massachusetts. Huge LGBT community, beautiful natural surroundings, bike friendly, lots of cultural resources. As for church, a friend of mine loves this church community: First Churches of Northampton, MA |

Good luck with your decision and your move!

Old 08-18-2016, 08:43 AM

4,527 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Cleveland is very gay friendly, with the Gay Games there a few years ago, and a large Gay Pride annual parade. The community has a significant and active LGBT office and several communities, most notably the close-in suburb of Lakewood, have large LGBT populations.

Philadelphia has an extremely strong LGBT history including the "Gayborhood", a designated area of Center City complete with rainbow street signs designating the area. Philly has one of the largest gay populations in the US behind New York and SF.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 429 times
I too am a lesbian in my mid 40s. I reside in Chicago and one would assume that finding a compatible partner would be relatively easy. Alas, it is not. Licensed special education teacher and willing to relocate for the right city... especially intrigued by MOC leaning women with no plans to transition. Those charismatic, chivalrous, old school butch gals are a (very sadly) dying breed it seems. 路*♀️

Never considered Columbus, but will definitely need a metropolitan area for public school teaching as I prefer to serve underprivileged youth in urban environments. I have family near Atlanta, but being close to an ocean is very appealing. As for COL... as long as I'm not sacrificing earnings toward retirement, I'm open to making adjustments. Looking to make this move in another year as I'm in the process of completing my graduate degree and cannot consider relocation until this goal is met. 

Old 07-05-2018, 05:46 PM

226 posts, read 258,043 times
Eugene.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:08 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Seattle will be a compromise on that budget. You’re looking at roommates, or living south. Tacoma could be an option, but you’re in Tacoma.

Portland would be the same deal especially with income taxes, though somewhat cheaper than Seattle.

Minneapolis or Columbus would be good options. Columbus has a really large lesbian community. I know several lesbians who live in Columbus.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:14 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
I know this is an old thread, and it might not be super affordable, but a nice town that would fit the bill, otherwise, is Davis, CA. I knew lots of lesbian families when I lived there, and the local United Methodist Church is lesbian friendly, with a lesbian preacher.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:12 AM

8,496 posts, read 4,558,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RootedRambler View Post
I would also heartily recommend Northampton, Massachusetts. Huge LGBT community, beautiful natural surroundings, bike friendly, lots of cultural resources. As for church, a friend of mine loves this church community: First Churches of Northampton, MA |

Good luck with your decision and your move!

Northampton sounds like it would suit you. It has a thriving lesbian community due to the presence of two of America's most prestigious all female colleges being in the region. Smith College is located just on the western edge of downtown Northampton and Mt Holyoke Colege is in nearby S Hadley. The area also is home to UMass, Amherst College, and Hampshire College. The downtown is very lively for a small town of its size.

Northampton is located right on the Connecticut River in the Pioneer Valley of western MA. There are plenty of recreational options nearby as well as within a few hours drive. The city is very green with two long bike paths right by the downtown. One connects you eastward to Amherst and the other goes north-south along the river. The foothills of the Berkshire Mountains start just a few towns over. Boston. the coast, and the VT and NH mountains are within two hours away.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:23 AM

765 posts, read 898,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Seattle will be a compromise on that budget. You’re looking at roommates, or living south. Tacoma could be an option, but you’re in Tacoma.

Portland would be the same deal especially with income taxes, though somewhat cheaper than Seattle.

Minneapolis or Columbus would be good options. Columbus has a really large lesbian community. I know several lesbians who live in Columbus.
Tacoma is amazing. It's become more of a status symbol to live in Seattle these days. Seattle has great qualities, but so does Tacoma and I don't think that the city should be overlooked. There is a lot of opportunity and room for growth. It's also progressive without the pretentiousness that Seattle and San Francisco have.
If Portland had a baby with Oakland, it would be Tacoma. Only Tacoma is still a teenager and beginning to grow into its own.
Look into it, I'd recommend it for sure.
Stadium District
6th ave
Downtown
Old Town
Ruston
Proctor
Lincoln District
Hilltop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.