Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When I think of Pennsylvania...
I generally have a favorable opinion of the state. 133 54.29%
I generally have an unfavorable opinion of the state. 41 16.73%
I have no strong opinion regarding the state. 71 28.98%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 06:11 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Uh, I kind of view it as ... even though technically it's in the North, it probably has more in common with Kansas or Arkansas than it does its neighboring states. Obviously I'm aware of Philly, just saying overall.
That's an extremw stretch. It blends in well with the parts of New York it borders. Plus it borders WV and Ohio, which I would argue are both more Southern than PA (especially the former)

Old 08-09-2019, 06:13 PM

1,045 posts, read 759,397 times
I think of PA as full of redneck Yankees.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:37 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times
I think PA is just hard to figure out, and takes a heck of alot of time to drive through. The western towns north of Pittsburgh associate with Youngstown and Cleveland, the East associates with New Jersey. My friend who grew up there says it is Philly and Pittsburgh with Alabama in between.

My college memories are my college friend's family rowhouse in NE Philly, pretzels, and route 80 with barrels for construction for miles. I like Lancaster and area, and the Amish are facinating.

The Trump swingstate thing to me is disturbing, and paints the state in a different light for me. But I guess PA has always been a swingstate to some degree. On a better note, going on 76 is beautiful, and I love the tunnels going through the mountains. If PA was a flavor, it sure wouldn't be vanilla, but a Ben and Jerry's flavor full of everything. It is just different.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:36 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Uh, I kind of view it as ... even though technically it's in the North, it probably has more in common with Kansas or Arkansas than it does its neighboring states. Obviously I'm aware of Philly, just saying overall.
With all due respect, have you actually been to PA? Those are two states of the union in which Pennsylvania has amongst the least in common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
My friend who grew up there says it is Philly and Pittsburgh with Alabama in between.
An absurdly overused cliche/quote by James Carville that was taken entirely out of context. Although I don't blame outsiders for not knowing any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
The Trump swingstate thing to me is disturbing, and paints the state in a different light for me. But I guess PA has always been a swingstate to some degree.
Yeah, the 2016 election will go down in history as one of the strangest, that's for sure. In actuality Pennsylvania didn't "swing" much from 2012, for example--just a couple percentage point lost by the Dems and conversely gained by the Reps. It was just enough to give Trump a plurality of the vote (but importantly, not a majority, the same scenario as WI and MI).

Fact of the matter is the rural Midwest and Northeast very similarly shifted to the right in 2016, regardless of ultimately being traditionally "red" or "blue" states. And to the extent that many state electorates were more receptive to a Trump presidency than what is standard for a Republican candidate, it's not truly fair to pinpoint "blame" on states that happened to be "tipping points" for the electoral college (although I know the mainstream media has basically beat that thought into everyone's head).

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...the-right.html

Last edited by Duderino; 08-09-2019 at 08:50 PM..

Old 08-09-2019, 09:35 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
No strong opinion. Pretty yet grimey. Don’t have the urge to go there, but when I do, I admit it can be interesting.

It’s also highly entertaining to watch people try to analyze the 2016 election. Good for Pennsylvania that they threw a monkey wrench into the train wreck that was the status quo.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:19 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Not to go off from the subject, but I saw this word generic for Pennsylvania. I actually think Pennsylvania is one of the least generic states in the Union.
SO true. It's definitely in the top 10 for most interesting state. I'd never put it in the "generic" category.

For generic, there are several states that fit that label but Pennsylvania is not one of those at all.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:05 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
PA is one of my favorite states and my favorite northeastern state. Has 2 great larger metros (Philadelphia and Pittsburgh), really nice capital region (Harrisburg/Lancaster), wonderful small towns, pretty rolling hills and mountains in the majority of the state, great people, and affordable. Have never had a bad experience there. I know here in NC, we love visiting PA. It's not far up I-77 and it's such an interesting, beautiful state. Love it!

Old 08-10-2019, 10:42 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
I have an overall positive impression of Pennsylvania. What March2 says directly above is a good summary.

Old 08-10-2019, 01:59 PM

93,333 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Nice, varied state in terms of people, natural and urban amenities, history, etc.

Old 08-10-2019, 02:05 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,817 times
PA can be super rural or super urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.