Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When I think of Pennsylvania...
I generally have a favorable opinion of the state. 133 54.29%
I generally have an unfavorable opinion of the state. 41 16.73%
I have no strong opinion regarding the state. 71 28.98%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 07:11 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Okay so I'll admit I have a very negative view of Philadelphia vs the rest of the state and my last visit there was in 1999 and got the impression that it was a very rough city.
Let me dig through my Palm Pilot notes from back then and check my own impressions.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:50 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Pennsylvania and Maine have more in common in terms of median household income and educational attainment over a larger geographical area. New Hampshire is different because it has the least amount of poverty of any state in percentage terms, greater educational attainment, and greater median house values.
I was speaking in the context of that which I replied to. Personality. The three states are overall the least "we're so much better than you" of the northeast.

Addendum: Not implying that everybody from the rest of the northeast is that way, just the people in charge/super rich. Hence the second part of my post.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:21 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I would group PA in with Maine and New Hampshire as the most "normal" of the northeastern states. Somewhat free of hyper yuppie own-fart-smelling idiot control.

The rest of us, well, all we can do is sit in our forgotten and neglected regions while people like Tom Lennox claim we don't exist.
How do they compare to Vermont?

Old 10-09-2019, 06:32 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Pennsylvania and Maine have more in common in terms of median household income and educational attainment over a larger geographical area. New Hampshire is different because it has the least amount of poverty of any state in percentage terms, greater educational attainment, and greater median house values.
Conversely, Pennsylvania is far more populous than either NH or ME and much more akin to New York in its fundamental DNA.

The biggest difference is that Pennsylvania's major metro area (Philly) doesn't quite dominate its state in terms of outside reputation, politics, and demographically (while roughly one-third of Pennsylvanians lives in the Philly area, the percentage of New York State residents living in the NYC metro nearly doubles that rate [64%]).

Pennsylvania is much more "balanced" between urban vs. rural by comparison to the rest of the Northeast, although like the rest of the US, it hasn't been immune to significant economic and political polarization.

But also like New York, Pennsylvania's economic lifeblood, and frankly its future, is increasingly uber-concentrated in its heavily urban southeastern corner, which will make it more and more like New York over time.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:53 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I was speaking in the context of that which I replied to. Personality. The three states are overall the least "we're so much better than you" of the northeast.

Addendum: Not implying that everybody from the rest of the northeast is that way, just the people in charge/super rich. Hence the second part of my post.
New Hampshire is also often seen as a conservative island in the Northeast (in particular it has more gun rights than the rest of the region), though its not voted for a Republican president in decades. I do think New Hampshire is probably less conservative than Pennsylvania and its also gotten a lot of Boston transplants making it more liberal.

Old 10-10-2019, 04:56 AM

Quote:
New Hampshire is also often seen as a conservative island in the Northeast (in particular it has more gun rights than the rest of the region), though its not voted for a Republican president in decades. I do think New Hampshire is probably less conservative than Pennsylvania and its also gotten a lot of Boston transplants making it more liberal.
You are the forum equivalent of selective hearing, aren't you?

Old 10-10-2019, 05:13 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Huh? Vermont, home of Bernie, has by far the strongest gun rights in the region. Anyone can buy a gun. Anyone can concealed carry without a permit. The law is no guns in schools and no guns in state buildings. That’s it. This "guns vs liburuls” thing simply has to stop. Gun law correlates to how urban a state is. Vermont has no cities at all. Thus the very rural-oriented public policy towards guns. Most of the Northeast Corridor is very urban and has gun law appropriate to urban places.

New Hampshire votes for moderates and political party is less important. When that nut job LaMontagne ran with policies straight out of FOX News, he got crushed. If you stray too far to either side of the political spectrum, you won’t win in New Hampshire.

Last edited by GeoffD; 10-10-2019 at 06:39 AM..

Old 10-10-2019, 07:38 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,488,531 times
Quote:
Why are you ignoring the posts from a few pages ago about your Philadelphia ignorance?

You're also showing ignorance about New Hampshire as well (my native state). New Hampshire is probably more Republican than the rest of the Northeast, but that isn't saying much. It is also the Republicans of old (ala Mitt Romney types). New Hampshire is one of the least religious states in the country, and would never tolerate the kind of whack-job right winger Evangelicals that are so common down in your parts. Trump's approval ratings are at -12 in the state, and I guarantee you he'll lose the state in 2020 (same goes for PA). The kind of New Hampshire conservative is far from your kind of conservative. You won't find much opposition to LGBT rights, denial of abortion choice, or opposition to immigrant rights there. The governorship has also been dominated by Democrats in the 21st century.

You know, there is this amazing thing called Google and it makes it really easy to fact-check assertions before hitting the 'Post' button.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Why are you ignoring the posts from a few pages ago about your Philadelphia ignorance?

You're also showing ignorance about New Hampshire as well (my native state). New Hampshire is probably more Republican than the rest of the Northeast, but that isn't saying much. It is also the Republicans of old (ala Mitt Romney types). New Hampshire is one of the least religious states in the country, and would never tolerate the kind of whack-job right winger Evangelicals that are so common down in your parts. Trump's approval ratings are at -12 in the state, and I guarantee you he'll lose the state in 2020 (same goes for PA). The kind of New Hampshire conservative is far from your kind of conservative. You won't find much opposition to LGBT rights, denial of abortion choice, or opposition to immigrant rights there. The governorship has also been dominated by Democrats in the 21st century.

You know, there is this amazing thing called Google and it makes it really easy to fact-check assertions before hitting the 'Post' button.
I have discovered he doesn't listen, he only talks.

He only hears you if you agree with something he says, or you praise a southern state. I get a very... "over 50" vibe off of him. Not sure how old he is of course, but that's the feeling I get. That "I'm too old to ever be wrong about anything" personality a lot of boomers and spoiled older Gen-X have.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:52 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,596,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Huh? Vermont, home of Bernie, has by far the strongest gun rights in the region. Anyone can buy a gun. Anyone can concealed carry without a permit. The law is no guns in schools and no guns in state buildings. That’s it. This "guns vs liburuls” thing simply has to stop. Gun law correlates to how urban a state is. Vermont has no cities at all. Thus the very rural-oriented public policy towards guns. Most of the Northeast Corridor is very urban and has gun law appropriate to urban places.

New Hampshire votes for moderates and political party is less important. When that nut job LaMontagne ran with policies straight out of FOX News, he got crushed. If you stray too far to either side of the political spectrum, you won’t win in New Hampshire.
New Hampshire has the more pro-gun governor of the two, he vetoed all gun control bills if I'm not mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.