Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite U.S. river city?
Cincinnati 9 5.06%
Pittsburgh 22 12.36%
NYC 15 8.43%
Minneapolis 6 3.37%
Detroit 3 1.69%
St. Louis 21 11.80%
Kansas City, MO 1 0.56%
Philadephia 4 2.25%
Washington, D.C. 4 2.25%
Boston 6 3.37%
Wilminton, DE 0 0%
Providence, RI 0 0%
Richmond, VA 1 0.56%
Memphis, TN 6 3.37%
Nashville, TN 1 0.56%
Chattanooga, TN 1 0.56%
Knoxville, TN 2 1.12%
Wilmington, NC 1 0.56%
Charleston, SC 3 1.69%
Savannah, GA 5 2.81%
New Orleans, LA 11 6.18%
Jacksonville, FL 2 1.12%
Portland, OR 11 6.18%
Sacramento, CA 4 2.25%
San Antonio, TX 11 6.18%
Omaha, NE 11 6.18%
other (specify in your post) 17 9.55%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:11 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times

Advertisements

St. Louis can't really be described just an southern, midwestern, eastern, or anything else. I agree it is mostly midwestern, but its influences come from everywhere.

Even today St. Louis is seeing influences from other cultures. St. Louis has the largest population of Bosnians in the U.S.

St. Louis is very diverse in its influences. While that can cause tension, it is also generally good for the city. St. Louis can be described by any one word. It's a big mix of everything, a lot of that due to geography, but also due to its history and how it was once a center for industry. While a lot of the industry has moved out, St. Louis has found a way to transition itself into a city of museums, zoos, restaurants, and nightlife.

Basically, it's a big city with a lot of diversity and affordability. It has problems, but it's constantly working on itself. In fact, in the last few years the U.S. in general has seen an influx of people, mostly young people and empty-nesters, moving back to the city for its convinence and excitement.

So, if you have to describe St. Louis, I'd describe it as midwestern, but it's also a lot of other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 04:00 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
St. Louis can't really be described just an southern, midwestern, eastern, or anything else. I agree it is mostly midwestern, but its influences come from everywhere.

Even today St. Louis is seeing influences from other cultures. St. Louis has the largest population of Bosnians in the U.S.

St. Louis is very diverse in its influences. While that can cause tension, it is also generally good for the city. St. Louis can be described by any one word. It's a big mix of everything, a lot of that due to geography, but also due to its history and how it was once a center for industry. While a lot of the industry has moved out, St. Louis has found a way to transition itself into a city of museums, zoos, restaurants, and nightlife.

Basically, it's a big city with a lot of diversity and affordability. It has problems, but it's constantly working on itself. In fact, in the last few years the U.S. in general has seen an influx of people, mostly young people and empty-nesters, moving back to the city for its convinence and excitement.

So, if you have to describe St. Louis, I'd describe it as midwestern, but it's also a lot of other things.
I agree, but MANY other cities have a lot of these things too. How anybody could say that St. Louis is Western first off floors me. It's term of "Gateway to the West" was a term that was coined when anything beyond St. Louis was the west. Today, the west I would say does not being until you are past Kansas City. It is clearly an Eastern city, and it is easily classifiable as Midwestern. THe diversities you are describing can be found in many other cities besides St. Louis. I don't get why people try and say we are such a special case...no two cities, same region or not, are exactly alike. St. Louis is an Eastern city and it is a Midwestern city. It has minor influences from other places, but that does not mean you can say therefore it's not midwestern. Cleveland has Northeastern influences, and Cincinnati has some Southern influences, yet I don't see anybody protesting their being Midwestern. Same thing with Kansas City. The simple truth is that St. Louis is a Midwestern city with some Southern influences, but the influence of culture that it has is nowhere near enough to argue that it's not Midwestern. It's history before the Civil War makes it slightly unique I agree, but after the Civil War just about everything points to this city as being part of the Midwest. Geographically, we are centrally located, but many people, especially outsiders, think that therefore we must be a homogenous mix of everything, which is far from the truth. It's far from impossible for ANY city from one region to lack influences from others. Every city's influences can come from everywhere. Detroit and Chicago have Southern influences due to the Great Migration as well as jazz and blues music. The migration of many Germans and Eastern Europeans have influenced many Midwestern cities with their cultures...basically, when you look at the broader picture, while St. Louis I agree is a great city with a unique identity (like every other city), the so-called "melting pot" people claim exists only here exists in practically every other Midwestern city as well.

Last edited by ajf131; 03-02-2008 at 04:11 PM..

Old 03-02-2008, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,894 times
Stockton California is very dreamy.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:19 AM

84 posts, read 123,222 times
Default JMT swings.....and misses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
While that bridge looks cool, the over-all picture isn't impressive to me. Downtown looks mighty far away from the river for that to be called a true "river city."
Well, you would be wrong. The original town settlement was on the banks and by virtue of the river only allowed the city to grow in the south, north, and west directions.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:21 AM

84 posts, read 123,222 times
Default JMT...another miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I'm sorry, but that still seems mighty far away. Compared to true "river cities" like Saint Louis, Louisville, Memphis, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and New Orleans--whose downtowns are right smack ON the river--the picture you showed is of a city which looks like being on a river was more of an afterthought.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, and it doesn't mean your city isn't a great place to live. But I would not consider that to be a true river city
It doesn't matter whether or not you consider Omaha a river city. Historians do.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:27 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
I voted Pittsburgh.

Boston has a port to the Atlantic with ocean liners calling there, as well as cruise ships, and, while it may have rivers, such as the Charles, I wouldn't call it a river city.

I think that Providence is on an inlet, so it wouldn't be a river city, either. Ditto for Jacksonville, which may be on the St. John's River, but barely inland and viewable from the Atlantic Ocean, and with some great beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.