Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite U.S. river city?
Cincinnati 9 5.06%
Pittsburgh 22 12.36%
NYC 15 8.43%
Minneapolis 6 3.37%
Detroit 3 1.69%
St. Louis 21 11.80%
Kansas City, MO 1 0.56%
Philadephia 4 2.25%
Washington, D.C. 4 2.25%
Boston 6 3.37%
Wilminton, DE 0 0%
Providence, RI 0 0%
Richmond, VA 1 0.56%
Memphis, TN 6 3.37%
Nashville, TN 1 0.56%
Chattanooga, TN 1 0.56%
Knoxville, TN 2 1.12%
Wilmington, NC 1 0.56%
Charleston, SC 3 1.69%
Savannah, GA 5 2.81%
New Orleans, LA 11 6.18%
Jacksonville, FL 2 1.12%
Portland, OR 11 6.18%
Sacramento, CA 4 2.25%
San Antonio, TX 11 6.18%
Omaha, NE 11 6.18%
other (specify in your post) 17 9.55%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 04:46 PM

93 posts, read 88,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
ST. LOUIS ISN'T SOUTHERN!!! GOOD GOD do you people just need to believe it is..its industry, the dialect, the culture, the history, DO NOT fit a Southern city. Southern style bbq? Might I kindly point out that barbecue is an AMERICAN food, not a Southern food. Chitown is determined to get on my nerves, that's all he is doing. he wants to get this forum against me because he doesn't have anything better to do. TorchwoodChi and Chitownwarrior being Chicagoans cannot accept St. Louis being Midwestern. If St. Louis isn't Midwestern, neither is Cincinnati, nor is Indy or Kansas City. You all need to wake up and smell the coffee...a Southern characteristic does not make a city Southern. St. Louis' industry, demographics, speech patterns, political leniencies, architecture, overall history, are that of a Midwestern city. END OF DISCUSSION!!! If you want to argue with the facts go ahead, I'm not going to waste my time on people who think their opinons override the facts, just like chitown who believes that the same trees grow in the Arkansas Ozarks as the Missouri Ozarks...the Ozark chinapin trees are found exclusively in Arkansas and no further north than Branson, Missouri. I'd rather complain and whine like a baby then be like chitown and go with his stereotypical instincts and primitive knowledge. All three of you can take me on. Send a friggin' army. Better yet, go to the discussion about "St. Louis...Southern or Midwestern?" Locals decided on it being midwestern by an overwhelming majority. There is my defense. You all can take it up with them. Maybe CHitown is just a sore loser. Locals know this city better than outsiders. Plain and simple. It should also be noted that every city has their own style of barbeque. Google it and watch the magic happen. Complainer, no? A fact-giver? 100%.

Gee! What happened to that southern hospitality St. Louis is famous for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 05:00 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,398,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torchwoodchi View Post
Gee! What happened to that southern hospitality St. Louis is famous for?
I don't know, because I've never heard people talk about St. Louis' southern hospitality around here, nor have I read any source talking about it having that. Half of my family is from Louisiana, and I can assure you that there is no Southern hospitality in St. Louis. There is not even a near-to-identical idea of political values, attitudes, social values, food/culture. Maybe in Chicago people think that because they are uninformed, not too surprising Half the people I meet here from Chicago have half of the facts wrong. You want Southern hospitality? Go to Paducah, Kentucky, and then come back to St. Louis and tell me that the attitudes, restaurants, and culture are identical. Then I'll believe there is Southern hospitality here Anybody who believes that St. Louis has Southern hospitality either has not been to the South or does not know the meaning of Southern hospitality.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:11 PM

93 posts, read 88,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I don't know, because I've never heard people talk about St. Louis' southern hospitality around here, nor have I read any source talking about it having that. Half of my family is from Louisiana, and I can assure you that there is no Southern hospitality in St. Louis. There is not even a near-to-identical idea of political values, attitudes, social values, food/culture. Maybe in Chicago people think that because they are uninformed, not too surprising Half the people I meet here from Chicago have half of the facts wrong. You want Southern hospitality? Go to Paducah, Kentucky, and then come back to St. Louis and tell me that the attitudes, restaurants, and culture are identical. Then I'll believe there is Southern hospitality here Anybody who believes that St. Louis has Southern hospitality either has not been to the South or does not know the meaning of Southern hospitality.
Look if St. Louis wants to be apart of the Midwest I supposed that's fine. Since, according to you, all of the city's inhabitants have already convinced themselves that they are. I mean, If we can live with Indianapolis(which has absolutely nothing to offer the world) being part of the Midwest, we should welcome St. Louis with open arms.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:12 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
I think St. Louis is pretty friendly, but probably not like southern hospitality.

Although sometimes southern hospitality only exists for certain groups.

Also, there are 2 Tennessee towns on the west side of the Mississippi (Arkansas). The 1811 and 1812 earthquakes changed the course of the river.

Reverie, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And Corona, TN

Old 02-26-2008, 06:15 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Quote:
Look if St. Louis wants to be apart of the Midwest I supposed that's fine. Since, according to you, all of the city's inhabitants have already convinced themselves that they are. I mean, If we can live with Indianapolis(which has absolutely nothing to offer the world) being part of the Midwest, we should welcome St. Louis with open arms.
Chicago is not the best city in the world or even country so stop acting like you can tell people who the are!!!!! I'm not a redneck farmer from the Corn Town of Omaha. St. Louis is about as far north as Kansas city which you probably dont consider southern?? or is everything south of your 'precious' Chicago southern to you? Also dont insult Indianapolis its a nice city and for the final time St. Louis is NOT A SOUTHERN CITY get that through your arogant chicagan heads. Or are us nebraskans to redneck of farmers to listen to because you live in the holy city of Chicago????!!!! NEVER INSULT MY St. Louis BROTHERS!!!!!!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:20 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
when did everyone start taking crazy pills?

Old 02-26-2008, 06:21 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
when did everyone start taking crazy pills?
I dont listen to Chicagan jerks

Old 02-26-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
We're a part of the Midwest, whether you want us to be or not or whether we want us to be or not. That's the simple fact of the matter. You think I'm the only one that says St. Louis is part of the Midwest? Look up practically every source concerning it. You should find it is in the Midwest. But you're from Chicago, so I know you won't.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:48 PM

386 posts, read 1,692,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Chicago is not the best city in the world or even country so stop acting like you can tell people who the are!!!!! I'm not a redneck farmer from the Corn Town of Omaha. St. Louis is about as far north as Kansas city which you probably dont consider southern?? or is everything south of your 'precious' Chicago southern to you? Also dont insult Indianapolis its a nice city and for the final time St. Louis is NOT A SOUTHERN CITY get that through your arogant chicagan heads. Or are us nebraskans to redneck of farmers to listen to because you live in the holy city of Chicago????!!!! NEVER INSULT MY St. Louis BROTHERS!!!!!!!!
Whoa dude. Chill out. St. Louis is a pretty midwestern town....but it's definitely got a serious southern vibe going. Like it or not...Missouri and St. Louis in particular do share a lot of similarities with more southern states. And it's not a bad thing, either. St. Louis' great hospitality is due to its southern roots.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
Whoa dude. Chill out. St. Louis is a pretty midwestern town....but it's definitely got a serious southern vibe going. Like it or not...Missouri and St. Louis in particular do share a lot of similarities with more southern states. And it's not a bad thing, either. St. Louis' great hospitality is due to its southern roots.
I don't think St. Louis has any Southern vibes to it whatsoever. Southern Missouri definitely does some serious Southern vibes to it, that I will agree to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.