Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 09:47 AM

128 posts, read 250,635 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice Currently living in NYC and unfortunately getting priced out and looking to move out hopefully within a year. I would like to rent at first but eventually buy a condo or a house in around 200K price range. I guess first question is if it's even doable or if I need to increase my budget? Looking at zillow prices I might be in luck, but not sure..

In addition, since I don't drive I would need to be where public transportation will get me to work and back.

Although I've only visited Pittsburgh (and really loved it, so nice and beautiful!) I've narrowed it down to the following cities by searching the forums :

Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Minneapolis, Chicago, St. Louis.

I've worked in a university setting my whole career so I am leaning towards Pittsburgh because of that, but definitely open to working outside of education sector.

I want to be able to lead a simple life, don't care about nightlife at all, somewhere nice with a enough stuff to do to keep me entertained (movie theaters, shows), but do want to increase my quality of living as much as possible. Perhaps even living in a suburb provided public transportation is available?

One thing that concerns me is finding a job in a new location while still living in NYC. Any suggestions on how people do it? From what I've read many companies want you to be living in their city. If I decide to move without a job, would I be able to rent an apartment? I know in NYC many landlords ask for 40X salary to even consider renting an apartment to a potential tenant.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 10:11 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,107 times
Perhaps Philly could work as well. Easy to get to from NY compared to Chicago.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:16 AM

Thanks, Mike.

The only reason I've not included Philly is because I've visited the City Center there once, just to walk around and see the attractions and what's there, and didn't think it was that nice. Saw lots of construction going on. Maybe I just wasn't in the right places. I did read good things about suburbs but never visited.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:30 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
I would recommend St. Louis or Chicago.

Chicago offers a lifestyle more like what you are accustomed to. Pricing on condos may be a different story.

St. Louis offers affordability without totally giving up the urban experience. Its definitely a small big city option like Pittsburgh.

If you where underwhelmed with center city Philadelphia you need to cross St Louis off your list and go with Chicago.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:37 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Perhaps you could also consider the Upstate NY cities, which have multiple colleges/universities and a lower cost of living? You could live in select suburbs as well. https://www.suny.edu/attend/find-a-suny-campus/

Welcome to NY Colleges | NY Colleges

Another area like the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton area of PA could also potentially work for the same reasons. All of them allow you to check them out due to generally closer proximity to Brooklyn.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-05-2016 at 11:10 AM..

Old 09-05-2016, 10:37 AM

Thanks. I have heard lots of good things about Chicago, that it feels like a small big city, but also that economically it is not stable with many people leaving for this reason. Don't know if its nothing or if it's enough to cross Chicago off from my list.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:53 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Are you looking for a major city or just place that is more affordable with enough to do?

Old 09-05-2016, 10:54 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loss4words View Post
Thanks. I have heard lots of good things about Chicago, that it feels like a small big city, but also that economically it is not stable with many people leaving for this reason. Don't know if its nothing or if it's enough to cross Chicago off from my list.
I wouldn't cross Chicago off due to small population loss. Chicago will alway be Chicago.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:55 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,194 times
Minneapolis. Outside or Boston most colleges per capita. Major Big10 research school, about a dozen small privates in the core cities.

Light rail connects MPLS and StP and the airport, Mall of America, all major sports and concert venues and dozens of neighborhoods.

Look along the Hiawatha line in Southeast MPLS or along the green line between StP and MPLS.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:58 AM

Thanks. I think it's either at this point. I don't make use of many amenities that come from living in NYC.

I work in IT so I think being in a major city increases my chances of finding a good paying job, though, but I would be open to either a big city or a smaller one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.