Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 10:17 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
You're right. I know that, but for some reason when I see the name, I always think "private", lol.
Yes, the name sounds like it should be a private school, plus it's not particularly large and it's fairly prestigious, so it's easy to forget that it's public. Great school!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 10:30 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Interesting to look at this topic from the perspective of endowments.

The 100 Richest Universities: Their Generosity and Commitment to Research | The Best Schools

Old 11-03-2016, 10:33 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Here are a few other non-USNWR college rankings:

#7 - Duke
#17 - Emory
#18 - Rice
#21 - Vanderbilt
#30 - UNC
College Rankings - WSJ.com

#29 - Duke
#32 - UT-Austin
#38 - UNC
#40 - UVA
#59 - Florida
#71 - Vanderbilt
#75 - UT-Southwestern Medical Center
#79 - Emory
#86 - GA Tech
#98 - Texas A&M
CWUR 2016 | Top Universities in the USA (These are world rankings)

#13 - Duke
#20 - GA Tech
#25 - UT-Austin
#29 - UNC
#38 - Emory
#40 - Rice
#44 - Vanderbilt
#46 - UVA
#49 - Florida
https://www.timeshighereducation.com...-united-states

#25 - Duke
#35 - UNC
#43 - UT-Southwestern Medical Center
#44 - UT-Austin
#60 - Vanderbilt
#72 - Rice
#90 - Florida
#93 - GA Tech
ARWU World University Rankings 2016 | Academic Ranking of World Universities 2016 | Top 500 universities | Shanghai Ranking - 2016 (These are world rankings)

Once again, the objective answer here is Duke.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:58 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
For me, this thread would be more interesting if everybody listed what university they attended, their major, and their occupation. i think a liberal arts person view colleges much differently than STEM people do.

In my view, the best schools in the south looking at a combination of engineering, architecture, life science, and business programs are NC State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Auburn, LSU, Texas AM, Miss State, Tenn, and Florida. All the land grant schools. UGA will move up once their new engineering programs have been around longer. These programs have a lot of co-op and internship opportunities, a larger number and variety of majors, large alumni networks that helps when looking for a job, and are a better value so students have less debt when they graduate.

As I've previosly pointed out, Vandy and Duke don't even offer undergraduate business programs. I think employers generally favor engineers from the land grant colleges, Vandy and Duke offer engineering at undergrad level but these colleges are viewed as liberal arts schools along with professional programs like med and law. Vandy and Duke don't have an engineering school, the engineering programs are within a general undergraduate school with liberal arts programs. it makes no sense. to declare these schools the best seems odd to me.

if you want to major in architecture in TN, your options are U. of Tenn and U. of Memphis. In NC, your options are NC State and UNC-Charlotte.

the rankings are not objective. they are opinions by liberal arts people based on criteria that they think is important but are not compelling for many people. the people that do the rankigns have no independent interaction and knowledge of these universities, such as persona knowledge of the professors, or how employers view the colleges. the rankings tend to overvalue selectivity, and obviousy any small private college that isn't required to take a certain number of in-state students will be more selective compared to a large public school.

And selectivity is based on student stats in high school, and a lot the students out of high school with a 4.0 type of GPA are Tracy Flick types, and the brighter students blossom once they get to college and pursue the things that interest them. Selectivity doesn't give any information about the quality of the education and professors.

When you apply to a job after graduating from a college, the average entering freshman body stats at your college are not something that employers care about.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-03-2016 at 11:21 AM..

Old 11-03-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
For me, this thread would be more interesting if everybody listed what university they attended, their major, and their occupation. i think a liberal arts person view colleges much differently than STEM people do.

In my view, the best schools in the south looking at a combination of engineering, architecture, life science, and business programs are NC State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Auburn, LSU, Texas AM, Miss State, Tenn, and Florida. All the land grant schools. UGA will move up once their new engineering programs have been around longer. These programs have a lot of co-op and internship opportunities, a larger number and variety of majors, large alumni networks that helps when looking for a job, and are a better value so students have less debt when they graduate.

As I've previosly pointed out, Vandy and Duke don't even offer undergraduate business programs. I think employers generally favor engineers from the land grant colleges, Vandy and Duke offer engineering at undergrad level but these colleges are viewed as liberal arts schools along with professional programs like med and law. Vandy and Duke don't have an engineering school, the engineering programs are within a general undergraduate school with liberal arts programs. it makes no sense. to declare these schools the best seems odd to me.

if you want to major in architecture in TN, your options are U. of Tenn and U. of Memphis. In NC, your options are NC State and UNC-Charlotte.

the rankings are not objective. they are opinions by liberal arts people based on criteria that they think is important but are not compelling for many people. the people that do the rankigns have no independent interaction and knowledge of these universities, such as persona knowledge of the professors, or how employers view the colleges. the rankings tend to overvalue selectivity, and obviousy any small private college that isn't required to take a certain number of in-state students will be more selective compared to a large public school.

And selectivity is based on student stats in high school, and a lot the students out of high school with a 4.0 type of GPA are Tracy Flick types, and the brighter students blossom once they get to college and pursue the things that interest them. Selectivity doesn't give any information about the quality of the education and professors.

When you apply to a job after graduating from a college, the average entering freshman body stats at your college are not something that employers care about.
Alright, alright. We think Clemson is a perfectly good school. There, you can unclench now.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:33 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
i think you are projecting your personality onto me. i'm not trying to convince you of anything. i am simply expressing my perspective on colleges and the rankings.

youf false premise is that everybody cares what you think and are looking for your validation. you have no independent knowledge of Clemson so your opinion about it has no weight in my view.

i also did not mention only Clemson, i listed several other land grant universities in the south. you zoomed in right on the Clemson suggestion.

seem like everytime i post something about Clemson or Greenville, you pop a few minutes later to make a post similar to the one above.

it would make more sense for you to suggest universities that you think are the best rather than make the topic about me. i won't accuse you of being uptight or a 'homer' if you include your college.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-03-2016 at 11:57 AM..

Old 11-03-2016, 12:38 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
On most lists, I see UT in Austin higher than Rice and if you go program by program on US News, UT is mentioned more than Rice yet Rice has the higher overall ranking. Why is that?

Old 11-03-2016, 12:54 PM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times
I'd put UGA near the top.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:59 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'd put UGA near the top.
It's a good school for sure, but at least 10 others rank ahead of it.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
i think you are projecting your personality onto me. i'm not trying to convince you of anything. i am simply expressing my perspective on colleges and the rankings.

youf false premise is that everybody cares what you think and are looking for your validation. you have no independent knowledge of Clemson so your opinion about it has no weight in my view.

i also did not mention only Clemson, i listed several other land grant universities in the south. you zoomed in right on the Clemson suggestion.

seem like everytime i post something about Clemson or Greenville, you pop a few minutes later to make a post similar to the one above.

it would make more sense for you to suggest universities that you think are the best rather than make the topic about me. i won't accuse you of being uptight or a 'homer' if you include your college.
LOL OK.

Per your request:

Undergraduate: Rollins College | Winter Park, FL

Graduate: https://www.georgetown.edu/

I don't know where they rank; I don't really care. I do know that I had a very satisfying academic experience at those institutions.
And let's face it, your posting history would suggest that you do go a bit over the top on the subjects of Greenville, SC and Clemson. I think it explains why you're so touchy over my simple comment. But it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.