Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 07:44 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,169,481 times

Advertisements

Well, I just looked up Oil City on realtor.com. I looked up everything there. Now you do realize why there is a difference between the cheap cheap houses and the more expensives ones (25k-100k) right? Some are bigger, but most are similiar (and similiar in age, 90-100+ yrs old) but usually it means there is a LOT of TLC to be done. Probably MUCH more than you may ever dream about.

I believe the reason why we are warning you so much is that we are older and wiser. Age comes experience. We all have bought and sold homes over the years. Some of us are realtors (as I am). If it's too good to be true, it usually is.

Bottom line is don't put all your hopes into this price range. But hey, if it works out, more power to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 08:19 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
In Florida house deterriorate faster than anywhere else. My parent's 46 year old house has needed more work than 100 year old homes I have seen in upatate NY and Ohio. I still think that an internet based business will do betetr in a cheap town than an expensive one. If I had a data center or something it's just a matter of locating a high speed backbone and setting up In Miami many companies fail because of excessive expenses. Trust me, our company is struggling to find a way to give everyone wages that can lead to a better lifestyle. So far it's been impossible.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:43 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Well, I just looked up Oil City on realtor.com. I looked up everything there. Now you do realize why there is a difference between the cheap cheap houses and the more expensives ones (25k-100k) right? Some are bigger, but most are similiar (and similiar in age, 90-100+ yrs old) but usually it means there is a LOT of TLC to be done. Probably MUCH more than you may ever dream about.

I believe the reason why we are warning you so much is that we are older and wiser. Age comes experience. We all have bought and sold homes over the years. Some of us are realtors (as I am). If it's too good to be true, it usually is.

Bottom line is don't put all your hopes into this price range. But hey, if it works out, more power to you!

Thats why I hope my dad gives me a loan or I can get a loan from a bank, company or owner financing. If I can get all that, ill be buying a house costing between $25k and $50k. Below $25k theres not too many nice houses and in fact any house that doesnt need major TLC sells like hotcake. I will assume any sub $25k house thats been on the market for more than a couple weeks has significent problems. But still $50k is affordable(provided I get a loan) and thatll get me a nice big house!

Old 12-18-2006, 03:56 PM

291 posts, read 710,880 times
Default $84 for Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
My dad isnt happy with me still living in his house for various reasons and wants me out asap. I am happy to move out. I dont have the money to fly all over USA looking at every city and town. Oil City, PA is the best...
First, I am extremely impressed by the thoughtful replies dozens have posted to your queries. Cosmic's home advice and pkoon's career advice are especially noteworthy (and may I humbly suggest you read them yet again, NAH, and again, and again, until they sink in?). It is even more impressive given that such sensible advice continues to be forthcoming long after it's clear that it's being dismissed. Now that is the true Christmas spirit of giving! Perhaps it deserves to be taken more seriously, and if I may be pardoned for saying so, more humbly, NAH? Their content are life lessons, hard earned, and deserving respect.

$84 is the one-way bus fare from West Palm Beach to Oil City with 7 day advance purchase. Instead of asking dad to take you up there, front you for a $50k mortgage, or smell your scented candles any longer, why not ask him for that $84 ticket for Christmas? I bet he'd just JUMP on that! A far better cost/benefit analysis than all that tuition money he spent, eh? If I may say, having read dozens of your postings, and at age 25, you're more than overdue for a dose of fresh air and life in the real world. Oil City is indeed a good prescription for total immersion reality therapy. Especially in mid-winter. So please break out of this analysis paralysis, and delay no longer!

You are but $84 from that most American of aspirations, the freedom you seek.. even if it is but the freedom to buy all the scented candles a 5000 sf house can hold! On behalf of our forum, go forth with godspeed and all our best wishes, NAH.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:45 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,736,130 times
Default Exactly what the doctor ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodFarlee View Post
First, I am extremely impressed by the thoughtful replies dozens have posted to your queries. Cosmic's home advice and pkoon's career advice are especially noteworthy (and may I humbly suggest you read them yet again, NAH, and again, and again, until they sink in?). It is even more impressive given that such sensible advice continues to be forthcoming long after it's clear that it's being dismissed. Now that is the true Christmas spirit of giving! Perhaps it deserves to be taken more seriously, and if I may be pardoned for saying so, more humbly, NAH? Their content are life lessons, hard earned, and deserving respect.

$84 is the one-way bus fare from West Palm Beach to Oil City with 7 day advance purchase. Instead of asking dad to take you up there, front you for a $50k mortgage, or smell your scented candles any longer, why not ask him for that $84 ticket for Christmas? I bet he'd just JUMP on that! A far better cost/benefit analysis than all that tuition money he spent, eh? If I may say, having read dozens of your postings, and at age 25, you're more than overdue for a dose of fresh air and life in the real world. Oil City is indeed a good prescription for total immersion reality therapy. Especially in mid-winter. So please break out of this analysis paralysis, and delay no longer!

You are but $84 from that most American of aspirations, the freedom you seek.. even if it is but the freedom to buy all the scented candles a 5000 sf house can hold! On behalf of our forum, go forth with godspeed and all our best wishes, NAH.
Yup, get that bus ticket. Nothing like being the new kid off the bus.

RodFarlee is right, the venture is being planned into the ground. Get a real world taste of the place. Either it flies or it dies. A person's mind has a way of making reality out of wants.

When looking at houses ignore the pretty. Concentrate on electrical, heating, plumbing, sliding, roof, structural, major big ticket items. No off street parking, I would take a walk. Large nice lot, lots of access, room to maneuver, pay the premium. New replacement windows and doors are a huge plus. Always understand how well it is insulated. Blown in or foam is the best. Look at the chimmey super good, especially in the attic. Huge costs to fix.

Remember you tear up pretty to fix any shortcomings and the price has to adjusted according.

The data shows more nice babes coming into town than gents. Never know one of them might have just sold a house in FL, NY or CA. About like hitting the lottery.

Boots on the ground for a couple weeks good hard investigation of the fab Oil City environs. Gets the juices flowing and starts the idea chain. Either becomes a GO / NO GO and all the dreaming phase is over.

Have daddy get that bus ticket. Be sure to dress warm for the bus, bring some drinks, food and blanket. Travel European style. Don't use candles in motels, set off the fire alarms.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:39 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,379,295 times
Default Don't forget Plan B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Yup, get that bus ticket. Nothing like being the new kid off the bus.

Either becomes a GO / NO GO and all the dreaming phase is over.

Have daddy get that bus ticket.
Well said Cosmic. I rode big dog (greyhound) all around the country the in the early 1970s. I was a know it all twentysomething, college dropout, disillusioned with lots of stuff going on the world, no open door at home, and not motivated about the jobs that I had tried out (when jobs could be found). NAH, sound familiar?

Shut off the PC and head on up to PA right after the holidays. Plenty of empty seats on big dog from FL to PA in January - good for a snooze. If Oil City doesn't turn out to be what you imagine, you might need to look into "plan B".

Plan B? Enlist in the military. I'm not kidding, and I'm not a recruiter or a government employee. I'll bet 50 cents they've got an office in or near Oil City - most recruits are from a place where the economy is depressed and people are leaving behind empty low cost houses. You have a chance to get in on some of the most affordable housing in all sorts of places around the world. Not only that, they provide meals at no charge and pay you to work with all sorts of high tech stuff. Some of the people you meet will be the best that you will ever know in life, they will be like brothers or sisters. If you have tech skills and some college, you can put that to use in ways that make banging the PC keyboard seem trivial. OK, you might have to do a stint in AFG, Iraq or some other really bad place - whatever disappointments you have about home now will become forgotten memories and you will ache for the chance to go back, and kiss the ground when you do.

Plan B has risks, or could cost your life if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. But even in PA or FL, there's risk in crossing the street, eating out at a restaurant or driving down the road.

NAH, get this - A few years down the road when you get discharged and go back home or where ever you decide to call home, these Plan B guys will actually help you get a no money down, no points loan to buy that affordable home (even in Oil City). That's a lot better than hitting up Dad for a home loan that might cause him to tap whatever hard earned retirement savings he has been trying to stash away.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:52 PM

923 posts, read 3,513,931 times
Quote:

Dear NAH,
Please heed this advice...
Inexperience/Naivete' and lack of worldliness+Arrogance/militancy=Horrific Trainwreck!!

Well I guess it won't kill you(hope not) and you'll "just" lose $25,000 to $50,000 and be able to move back...

GOD bless and Best regards,

BTW--ibttw(in before the train wreck)

Old 12-19-2006, 08:42 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,594,419 times
From WPB to Oil City, PA

Be prepared for Culture Shock and 5 months of not seeing the sun. Oil City is in the middle of no-where, are there even jobs in that town? Maybe you should check out Latrobe, closer to Pittsburgh and maybe more job opportunities.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:33 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,405,521 times
Oil City, PA??
Now that is in the middle of ...........
Spent a few nights in a Holiday Inn and was woke on an hourly basis due to the rattling trains.
Can't keep yer car clean due to the strip mines etc.
It's not a bad place, just nothing there.

Close by and not to far is Clarion, PA.
Now that is one small, tiny, town I just love

NW Pa, it would be the Clarion, Grove City, Eau Claire, area for me.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:07 PM

262 posts, read 2,022,476 times
Quote:

I don't have much to add, just that by quoting Rod's comments here it posts his 100% spot on commentary again for NAH to see. Hats off to Rod for saying what we're all thinking (very comically I might add!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.