Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 08:10 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,992 times

Advertisements

Man! I think most of ya'll on here are just too old! And I don't mean in terms of actual numbers...When I was 25, I wouldn't have even BOTHERED to go to a forum like this & gather info...I woulda BEEN there!!!
I guess that might be the point some of you are trying to make - "shut up & just DO it"...
but it has such a condescending tone!!!
NAH - I do agree with the "go for it" thing, but then again you are proceding cautiously which is smart.
Ignore all these wise 'n bitter folk on here & do what your gut tells you!
You seem to be in the lucky category where your parents could help you out if need be. That's cool!
And all the more reason to go for it!
Maybe not Oil City -just go to that area & check it out!
More power to you & all those with cojones!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 08:45 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,736,130 times
Default Something funny about seeing it first hard

This will have to be short, I'm on the road and on a laptop.

But something interesting happened that points out the need to see some of these places up close and personal.

Remember that facination with bluefield, WV. Well I am an expert of just about. This morning I came thru there and stopped for breakfast outside of town, just getting daylite.

Way up in the clouds, I mean that literally. Clouds down to like several hundred foot ceiling, misty, black, brooding. If that is what the winter can be like might be bit depressing. Must be a real bear in real bad weather. I was trying to stick to a schedule so didn't actually go into town, maybe on the way home.

But the major point I made just researching it a bit on paper was there is only one main drag in / out and that runs North - South. I questioned how far did you have to go to get anywhere else?

What I didn't realize looking at the map, that is the WV turnpike, a toll road, they nick you $1.25 ever few miles or so. Actually driving it really slams it home, good miles to anything else and you probably got to pay for the prilivege both ways over a road that is far worse that the freebie sections of I-77S in other states. What is Sen. Bryd doing with all that road money?

On my way home, I might stop and actually do a lil tour to see what that jewel of a town is really like. My pit stop should put me in good daylight hours with plenty of time for a tour.

Dreaming and research on the web is nice for openers but at some point one has to bring some type of reality into play. That point about enterance / exit routes is a biggy, can make or break a choice. Same with traffic, lots of people promoting NC, especially Charlotte, Mamma-Mia. I always program my trips to avoid large urban areas in rush hour. Hit Charlotte way off peak like 11:30 AM. They were just crawling on the ramps, heavy traffic, what is that puppy like at peak?. People just avoid telling a lot of the negatives, even if they live there. Ok, maybe they don't got to drive it. Been a long time since I was in there driving. No Thanks.

Oil City may fit some folks needs but at some point you got to get the boots on the ground before the planning gets the train to far out of the station.

I should be up in that OH / PA border area in spring, maybe take a day cruise to see what the fuss is all about.

To me it comes down to defining your objectives correctly. SE OH would not fit many people well but if you understand the strengths and need that type situation it is ideal. Maybe same for Oil City but at some point it should be more than wishful thinking. Might be great, may be a horrible bust. Good hard tour is worth a zillion words.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:45 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times
All your advice is much appreciated. No, I am not entering the military for many reasons. Yes I will visit Oil city and other nearby towns as well ill visit southeast Ohio including woodsfield. Oil city is a long ways off. Let me know if Woodsfield(and surrounding areas) is better and/or cheaper than Oil city(and surrounding areas) Ive talked to several and most had good things to say about Oil city. But of course actually visiting and checking it out is the bottom line.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:32 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Oil city is a long ways off.
I'm confused. I thought the title of this post was "Guess I'll be moving out quite soon. Is Oil City, PA the best?"

Old 12-20-2006, 04:02 AM

Long ways off as in a long drive for Cosmic and me too, ill be flying to Pittsburgh then driving to Oil city

Old 12-20-2006, 03:32 PM

88 posts, read 98,004 times
NAH, stop thinking of cheap cheap cheap. If you want cheaper then Oil City, you're going to be in a worse ghetto.

How come you don't understand that a 20k house with 3 stories and 2000sq feet is going to have MAJOR problems? It may be in Oil City - but it's GOING TO HAVE MAJOR PROBLEMS.

Old 12-20-2006, 04:13 PM
tao

721 posts, read 3,189,768 times
Some people have to learn their lessons the hard way.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:23 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
Some people have to learn their lessons the hard way.
School of Hard Knocks, I think they call it

Old 12-23-2006, 05:00 AM

I do listen to you! I still think Oil city is the best deal but I am open to other locations. Cedar Rapids, Iowa looks good. In fact its a better location despite the colder winters and somewhat higher crime and doubly expensive houses. The cheapest house is $20k and the cheapest house that interests me is $40k. In Oil city, the cheapest house is $10k and theres several interesting houses for around $20k.

If I were to relocate to Cedar Rapids, it would mean a smaller house, smaller lot and a little TLC needed and a higher price than Oil city. The same size house and lot is about double price in Cedar Rapids compared to Oil city. I will still be making the same amount of money either way since im self employeed. Id be paying for the better Cedar Rapids location and its higher costs of living.

Old 12-23-2006, 06:50 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I do listen to you! I still think Oil city is the best deal but I am open to other locations. Cedar Rapids, Iowa looks good. In fact its a better location despite the colder winters and somewhat higher crime and doubly expensive houses. The cheapest house is $20k and the cheapest house that interests me is $40k. In Oil city, the cheapest house is $10k and theres several interesting houses for around $20k.

If I were to relocate to Cedar Rapids, it would mean a smaller house, smaller lot and a little TLC needed and a higher price than Oil city. The same size house and lot is about double price in Cedar Rapids compared to Oil city. I will still be making the same amount of money either way since im self employeed. Id be paying for the better Cedar Rapids location and its higher costs of living.
Also keep in mind that no one starts out with their dream home (well, almost no one)- it's something that most people work their way up to over a period of time. So don't get too caught up in finding "perfect" right away- it might be smart to start smaller and work your way towards what you really want. Doing it that way, in smaller steps, might lead you to something bigger and better down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.