Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 11:18 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 01:22 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,063,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Not Tucson, Tempe, or Phoenix itself?
They don't have the same resorts that tourists head to Phoenix for. Also name recognition, shopping ect would play a part in that. I agree with the Scottsdale sentiment.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:04 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,117,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
So the two largest metros hating on the quirky, liberal state capital? Sounds familiar.
I take it you've never been to Ohio. Columbus isn't that quirky. Cleveland has more of an "edge" and "soul," but can't speak for Cincy. I know you're trying to compare the Ohio 3 C's to Dallas/Houston vs. Austin, but it's apples to oranges. Economically, Cleveland has a reason to be jealous of Columbus. It still has that Rust Belt legacy that it's trying to shake off.

But in Texas? Dallas blows Austin out of the water economically, it isn't even close. Legal job? Dallas. Finance job? Dallas. Medical? Dallas. Tons of UT-Austin grads end up in Dallas.... What a shock! Not many OSU grads go back to Cleveland. Even more shocking, many Austin bar and restaurant owners own places in Dallas! What's there to hate?

Old 01-25-2017, 03:30 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
They don't have the same resorts that tourists head to Phoenix for. Also name recognition, shopping ect would play a part in that. I agree with the Scottsdale sentiment.
Well said.

I also think Sedona could vie for Scottsdale for the most loved, but since its smaller than Scottsdale I had to go with the latter.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:08 PM

372 posts, read 450,104 times
New Orleans is the most popular. Its the most loved and hated which is the general rule. People either love it or hate it. People outside the state usually love it though.

But the most liked place in the state I would say is Lafayette. Shreveport is the most disliked.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:14 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
New Orleans is the most popular. Its the most loved and hated which is the general rule. People either love it or hate it. People outside the state usually love it though.

But the most liked place in the state I would say is Lafayette. Shreveport is the most disliked.
New Orleans is a bit like Miami Beach it is a extremely polarizing place. Everyone I met says they love Miami Beach but would not want to live their and I have heard that about New Orleans as well.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:02 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I take it you've never been to Ohio. Columbus isn't that quirky. Cleveland has more of an "edge" and "soul," but can't speak for Cincy. I know you're trying to compare the Ohio 3 C's to Dallas/Houston vs. Austin, but it's apples to oranges. Economically, Cleveland has a reason to be jealous of Columbus. It still has that Rust Belt legacy that it's trying to shake off.

But in Texas? Dallas blows Austin out of the water economically, it isn't even close. Legal job? Dallas. Finance job? Dallas. Medical? Dallas. Tons of UT-Austin grads end up in Dallas.... What a shock! Not many OSU grads go back to Cleveland. Even more shocking, many Austin bar and restaurant owners own places in Dallas! What's there to hate?
Probably a question you have to ask yourself. Austin doesn't care to compare itself to a metro area nearly 5 times it's size. Austin is one of the it cities on this forum and nationally, and that just kills people from Dallas and Houston, as Parhe has gracefully admitted here.

BTW, I don't live in Austin anymore and Corpus is where I'm from, so in the end, I really don't care as much as you do. If I loved Austin, I would be living in Austin as teh COL is much lower than where I live now.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:21 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
As a Texan, I'm throwing my vote to San Antonio, followed by Fort Worth. To me, they are the most quintessentially "Texan" of the big cities in Texas. But I like all of the big cities for different reasons - they all have something unique to bring to the table, and lots of positives and great amenities.

I don't live in Ohio but I have family that does. Personally I like Ohio cities. Heck, I even like Dayton!

I'm originally from New Orleans and have a lot of family and family ties in Louisiana. I agree totally that New Orleans is polarizing - there are a lot more people who love visiting there than people who love living there. Personally, my husband and I even considered it for a bit, but after poking around several times, we took it off our short list of places to live. But I do love visiting there. As for living, I agree that Lafayette is a much more desirable location - and yes, I hate Shreveport with a passion.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:54 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,117,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Probably a question you have to ask yourself. Austin doesn't care to compare itself to a metro area nearly 5 times it's size. Austin is one of the it cities on this forum and nationally, and that just kills people from Dallas and Houston, as Parhe has gracefully admitted here.

BTW, I don't live in Austin anymore and Corpus is where I'm from, so in the end, I really don't care as much as you do. If I loved Austin, I would be living in Austin as teh COL is much lower than where I live now.
I'm not from Texas originally and it doesn't matter about being an "it" city or not... It does matter if one place is excessively overpraised while another is wrongfully bashed. Really it's the wrongfully bashed part that is annoying. All of the positive press Austin receives is because of Central Austin, not Round Rock or Georgetown. What happens out in Plano or Sugarland should have no bearing on Central Dallas or Houston. The Austin of today is more similar to Dallas than it was back then. But it's trying to portray a city of the past when attracting people. I find that to be pretentious. With the exception of UT and some terrain differences, the culture of these 2 cities are becoming more similar. Dallas is "relaxing" while Austin is becoming more formal. They are more tied together than most outsiders realize.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:10 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I'm not from Texas originally and it doesn't matter about being an "it" city or not... It does matter if one place is excessively overpraised while another is wrongfully bashed. Really it's the wrongfully bashed part that is annoying. All of the positive press Austin receives is because of Central Austin, not Round Rock or Georgetown. What happens out in Plano or Sugarland should have no bearing on Central Dallas or Houston. The Austin of today is more similar to Dallas than it was back then. But it's trying to portray a city of the past when attracting people. I find that to be pretentious. With the exception of UT and some terrain differences, the culture of these 2 cities are becoming more similar. Dallas is "relaxing" while Austin is becoming more formal. They are more tied together than most outsiders realize.
I don't really care about the wrongfully bashed part either. Just enjoy Dallas as a hidden secret and who cares if they are missing out? I also dont' care about suburbs as you cant' pay me enough to live in any Texas suburb.

I know it stings, but here in DC, Austin has a great rep. Other Texas cities, not so much. Just the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.