Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 08:28 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree. I think that New Orleans is deliciously southern to it's very core.

I visited West Virginia a couple of years ago and went to the Greenbrier Resort. Everywhere I looked, there was "southern paraphernalia" but I hate to break it to them - the Greenbrier is not a southern resort and it's not in a southern state. Wannabees! LOL

I think that Springfield, MO feels southern though it's technically not. Same with Oklahoma City.

I think that there's a distinctly southern vibe to some of the cities in Ohio, which definitely surprised me.
I don't know. I do find WV to be somewhat Southern. But I understand other arguments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 10:41 AM

811 posts, read 890,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I also agree.

It's weird too how anywhere progressive is stripped of its southern identity in people's eyes, and yet the most backwoods redneck areas of the north are almost never accused of not being "truly northern".
You are so right! I have noticed this a lot on this forum. Claims that Transplants make the South less Southern, but transplants to the North never seem to make the North less Northern!

Anyways, some other cities that seem to be out of place for their region to me might be Pittsburgh and Cincinnati.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:51 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Austin, TX
Asheville, NC
Sedona, AZ
Santa Fe, NM
Orange County, CA
Huntsville, AL

Old 04-09-2017, 01:10 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoliashorty View Post
In New Orleans, I've often heard people say "New Orleans isn't really the South." They're usually referring to the fact that New Orleans is more socially liberal than other Southern cities and that it has its own mix of cultures, with French influence etc. Are there any other cities in the United States that people think don't "fit into" the region of which they're a part (Northeast/Midwest/West/South)?
I always think of New Orleans as the jewel of the south. But I think it is southern for sure.

Austin does not fit in with the rest of Texas.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
LOL I think Austin is fabulously Texan. Each big Texas metro has it's own vibe and they are all very different from each other - but all Texan to the core.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:46 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,793,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL I think Austin is fabulously Texan. Each big Texas metro has it's own vibe and they are all very different from each other - but all Texan to the core.
Agreed. Austinites still can't buy a bottle of liquor on Sunday, just like the rest of us.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Agreed. Austinites still can't buy a bottle of liquor on Sunday, just like the rest of us.
Well, there you have it. Gotta make do with wine or beer and that only after 12 noon.

Better not drink all that likker up on Saturday night - plan accordingly!

Old 04-09-2017, 04:09 PM

17,807 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Austin is just as Texan if not more than Houston or Dallas.
Austin makes a lot of it's living claiming it is "different than the rest of Texas" though. But being the state capitol kind of makes it hard to run away.

It is obvious that Austin is less "Texan" than it used to be with all the move ins. But I suppose the same could be said for Dallas and Houston.

But back when the outlaw country thing was going. In the Armadillo World Headquarters days. It surely defined a good portion ofTexas culture. But they still have staples like Texas Mex and BBQ.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:35 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I can see someone saying that about Chicago but I am curious about Ann Arbor. All I know about the city is that is a big college town (or I think it is anyway).
Ann Arbor is a college town, but it's much more in the vein of a Cambridge or a Berkley than your typical Midwestern university. It's probably the most "stereotypically" liberal city in the Midwest. Only a slight majority of undergraduates (52 percent in 2016) were from Michigan, and many of the 48 percent from out of state are from wealthier areas in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and the San Francisco Bay Area (which many people believe fits in the Northeast itself.) Arts and culture reign supreme, craft beer, wine and cheese are preferred to getting wasted on cheap beer, and Michigan looks kind of like the Northeast anyhow. Plus, any people I know in my slightly less sophisticated part of Michigan who aspire to high-end Northeast culture love Ann Arbor. So that's why I think that Ann Arbor doesn't really seem Midwestern to me.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:00 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Ann Arbor is a college town, but it's much more in the vein of a Cambridge or a Berkley than your typical Midwestern university. It's probably the most "stereotypically" liberal city in the Midwest. Only a slight majority of undergraduates (52 percent in 2016) were from Michigan, and many of the 48 percent from out of state are from wealthier areas in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and the San Francisco Bay Area (which many people believe fits in the Northeast itself.) Arts and culture reign supreme, craft beer, wine and cheese are preferred to getting wasted on cheap beer, and Michigan looks kind of like the Northeast anyhow. Plus, any people I know in my slightly less sophisticated part of Michigan who aspire to high-end Northeast culture love Ann Arbor. So that's why I think that Ann Arbor doesn't really seem Midwestern to me.
Yep. The more traditional midwestern people head to MSU right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.