Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 02:58 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,583,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I know. I'm not sure if he's trolling or truly believes that. Austin's obesity rate (city & metro) would dramatically increase if it had more barrios & lower income neighborhoods. There's simply more of those throughout the DFW, SA, & Houston Metros, which skews the stats. On paper, Dallas and Houston seem like out of shape cities. However, visit any affluent neighborhood or town in those metros. Visit the main neighborhoods, major parks, etc. Tell me how many obese people there are in those areas. They're diverse cities that depending on where you live or visit, can either be described as "very fit" or "very fat" cities. Fitness-oriented people moving to those cities can find a critical mass of similar people. By city pop size alone, I can tell you there's more health food stores and gyms in Dallas than in Austin. I know that, because I'm very physically active myself and know many that are.

Comparing them to say Jackson, MS or Memphis, TN is very misleading.
So there are differences between cities? Austin has less barrios and lower income neighborhoods? yes? I would agree, most affluent neighborhoods have thinner people, poor people tend to be less educated and fatter. So why does Austin come out ahead again?

You also realize Dallas is quite a bit larger than Austin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
This is absolutely laughable.
I agree. It's sad how different Austin is to its Texas neighbors. Other cities should follow the lead, but of course, there's only one Austin. Also only one Dallas, Houston, Seattle, etc. Cities are different, and that's ok. Austin, is more educated and more fitness oriented than any Texas city. It's populace is closer to Seattle than it is Houston. Educated, liberal and lean. That's neither good or bad. It just is.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Well Louisville is easy, Midwest to Northeast all day long and that's understandable being it straddles the Midwest anyway. For me Miami doesn't even feel like the States sometimes which is very understandable with its huge Cuban and Spanish speaking population and it's funny because New Orleans is weird like that too.. It sometimes doesn't feel like the US but definitely doesn't seem like a Typical Southern City.. Never said the South can't be a diverse region but when people reference the South, you automatically know what they are thinking. The funny part is a lot of it has to do with the way people are, think and act more than the physical make up of the place. Example, Dating... you can bring some one from another Country to Atlanta and they are more than likely to get influenced with the way people are here. They are more than likely to stick with the race that closely matches them in Georgia because they see so much of a stigma with it in Atlanta by the way people still act sideways racist and stick to their own, they wouldn't dare venture pass their race from fear of being rejected. They are already in a foreign Country. Vice versa some one from another country is more than likely to venture to other races and dating in a region of the US that is more open to this. Don't get me wrong, physical make up of cities play a part in this as well. The typical Southern City tends to not be as dense in the inner city, prime example " Atlanta Again" and a Northern or Midwest City which most of us know are. Southern cities tend to be more green with more yard space in the City while North and Midwest Cities have tons of Tight Row Houses, Bldgs. and Bungalow Houses.

WHHHHHAAAAAATTTTT?????

I am from the south and New Orleans feels extremely southern to me. It's absolutely steeped in the history of the South in general.

And many southern cities are 40, 50, even 60 percent minority populated and more diverse than many other cities in other parts of the country. I see interracial dating and interracial families everywhere in the south, but ESPECIALLY in the larger cities.

I think you are right though about "it" having to do with the way people are, think and act - present company included. In other words, people see what they want or expect to see and often ignore anything that doesn't fit their preconceived notions.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
WHHHHHAAAAAATTTTT?????

I am from the south and New Orleans feels extremely southern to me. It's absolutely steeped in the history of the South in general.

And many southern cities are 40, 50, even 60 percent minority populated and more diverse than many other cities in other parts of the country. I see interracial dating and interracial families everywhere in the south, but ESPECIALLY in the larger cities.

I think you are right though about "it" having to do with the way people are, think and act - present company included. In other words, people see what they want or expect to see and often ignore anything that doesn't fit their preconceived notions.
Very southern and that's something to be proud of. to me, it's the jewel of the south. I think of jazz music, sultry summer nights, great food, party atmosphere.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:45 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I agree. It's sad how different Austin is to its Texas neighbors. Other cities should follow the lead, but of course, there's only one Austin. Also only one Dallas, Houston, Seattle, etc. Cities are different, and that's ok. Austin, is more educated and more fitness oriented than any Texas city. It's populace is closer to Seattle than it is Houston. Educated, liberal and lean. That's neither good or bad. It just is.
I love the pretentiousness oozing off of your fingertips here. I am willing to bet there are more liberals in the Houston area as well as more lean people in the Houston area. Austin is still very Texan. It is not Pacific Northwestern or San Francisco in the Hill Country. Love how you just ignore the fact that Austin is less dense than every big Texas city except SA and Fort Worth. Everything is bigger in Texas, right? Including state capital buildings. Don't sit there and claim everyone else hates on Austin while you sit there and hate on the rest of the state.

Last edited by Spade; 04-10-2017 at 04:34 PM..

Old 04-10-2017, 03:53 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,119,967 times
Quote:
Gotta love your alternative reality. Let's see for Austin:

*Sprawl? Check

*Low walk score? Check.

*Frontage roads filled with chains & Whataburgers? Check.

*Abysmal public transit? Check.

*Neighborhoods lacking sidewalks? Check.

*Extreme pride? Check

Have you spent ANY time in Seattle? Seattle lacks the above. I can tell you've spent little to no time in the actual city of Dallas, at least not recently. Austin IS Texas. Point blank. It's very well tied to Dallas & Houston. In fact, it sends A TON of its graduates to work for companies in those cities.

Re: Fitness - Overall, no I don't consider Austin a more physically active city than Dallas when comparing similar demographic groups (e.g. affluent, younger, educated). Liberal or conservative has nothing to do with fitness levels, although Dallas isn't a conservative city. Austin simply lacks a higher % of lower income groups who typically are unable to afford healthier foods, gym memberships, quality parks, etc.

Re: Education -- If Dallas didn't have a substantial amount of college educated individuals, you would not see the amount of company relocation and job growth in this area.

Basically, you're trying to say that Dallas & Houston are like OKC, Memphis, Jackson, etc. and Austin is like Boston, Seattle, DC, Minneapolis, etc. Anyone well traveled and familiar with the above cities would know you're full of it.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:31 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,119,967 times
Quote:
So there are differences between cities? Austin has less barrios and lower income neighborhoods? yes? I would agree, most affluent neighborhoods have thinner people, poor people tend to be less educated and fatter. So why does Austin come out ahead again?

You also realize Dallas is quite a bit larger than Austin?
There are less lower income neighborhoods and barrios in Austin than in Dallas. It's pretty simple. Now that doesn't mean that Dallas lacks affluent neighborhoods, far from it. It pretty much mops the floor with Austin in terms of wealthy neighborhoods. But Austin historically lacked the type of industries to attract large groups of immigrants or other groups that tend to be lower income. It does not have an extensive history of being a major city like Dallas, which underwent several changes economically. So yes, it's possible to be a very fit and very fat city at the same time. Most fitness-oriented people can find a critical mass here. Why would they move down to Austin when there are less fitness clubs, health stores, gyms, etc? Unless you're talking about hiking, which isn't a requirement to live a healthy lifestyle BTW.

Even so -- let's assume Austin is this land of the creative, educated, liberal, and fit and Dallas and Houston are fat, uneducated, unimaginative, and suck. You honestly believe in today's mobile society that UT grads who have moved to either D or H haven't brought their "Austin influences" with them to those cities? They're all comparing notes, btw. Austin wants its own Klyde Warren Park, Dallas is embracing its creative side, and Houston is now leading the discussion on bus reroute design. Austin has jumped on the bottle service train, while every new Dallas establishment must have an outdoor patio.

Last edited by DTXman34; 04-10-2017 at 04:48 PM..

Old 04-10-2017, 05:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Very southern and that's something to be proud of. to me, it's the jewel of the south. I think of jazz music, sultry summer nights, great food, party atmosphere.
I totally agree. I don't see how it could be anything other than "southern" to the absolute hilt.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:33 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,339 times
Quote:
Yep. The more traditional midwestern people head to MSU right?
Somewhat. I'd say it's more that the people who attend or live near MSU are generally comfortable being part of Midwestern culture, whereas people who head to U-M might not be, but are okay with Ann Arbor as it's an enclave.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:53 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,421,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
The typical Southern City tends to not be as dense in the inner city, prime example " Atlanta Again" and a Northern or Midwest City which most of us know are. Southern cities tend to be more green with more yard space in the City while North and Midwest Cities have tons of Tight Row Houses, Bldgs. and Bungalow Houses.
Cleveland? Detroit? Kansas City? Indianapolis? Columbus? Minneapolis? Omaha? ... most of these Midwestern cities are dominated by SFH's. On the flipside, you still have Southern cities like New Orleans, Savannah, Charleston, Birmingham, and Richmond with a gritty, dense inner city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.