Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 01:14 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,979,189 times

Advertisements

NYC and DC would most notable cases of lost identity. The suburbs of those cities is where identity lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 01:53 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The state legislators seem to be on their side lol.
Let's not EVEN go there...

Old 08-15-2017, 08:22 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,878,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Vegan cafes, yoga, breweries, bike lanes...00's Hipsters have ruined America's cities. Neighborhoods have become Chain Store Millennial - same thing repeated over and over again.
So...it's no longer 100% cars or 100% watery beer, and you call that repetition? Finally we have more choice on these topics. Even vegan cafes and yoga are a choice for some people, who can still eat and sit just like they used to.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:23 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Let's not EVEN go there...
let's not

Old 08-16-2017, 08:21 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,893,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
So...it's no longer 100% cars or 100% watery beer, and you call that repetition? Finally we have more choice on these topics. Even vegan cafes and yoga are a choice for some people, who can still eat and sit just like they used to.
There isn't a choice when the same type of establishments are located in EVERY trendy neighborhood. We even joke about breweries. They are all the exact same! They are designed the with same hipster vibe, same bitter beer, have the same bar food fusion, specials, and same specific demographic crowd.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:37 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,699,687 times
Quote:
There isn't a choice when the same type of establishments are located in EVERY trendy neighborhood. We even joke about breweries. They are all the exact same! They are designed the with same hipster vibe, same bitter beer, have the same bar food fusion, specials, and same specific demographic crowd.
I like it. This new wave of venues is no different then when Applebees, TGIF, Outback, uncomfortable movie theatres, shopping malls etc. were the dominant chains/entertainment venues, the new wave of venues are just meeting today's preferred tastes.

I'll use DC as an example - I'll take today's more safe and wealthy sterile DC then it's identity and crime levels when it was the murder capital of the country.

Last edited by Ebck120; 08-16-2017 at 08:52 AM..

Old 08-17-2017, 11:33 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,880,525 times
A part of me really wishes Birmingham loses its identity as a "truly southern city" and all the negative aspects that come with it. I would welcome any and all transplants, newcomers, etc with open arms.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:05 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,878,641 times
Quote:
That sounds like a very incomplete neighborhood. A good one has several types of restaurants and bars within a short stroll, or many types.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:04 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,656,423 times
Mmmm...bitter beer and vegan cafes. We could definitely use more of those around here, yet they keep building fast food and wing joints...talk about monotony.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:49 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,038,833 times
Quote:
Vegan cafes, yoga, breweries, bike lanes...00's Hipsters have ruined America's cities. Neighborhoods have become Chain Store Millennial - same thing repeated over and over again.
I have no idea what you're talking about dude.

I'm 38, and I've been a vegan since I was 17. I also live in Pittsburgh. We have three full-service vegan restaurants in the entire city - all of which only opened in the last two years. All of them are in different neighborhoods, and they all serve different kinds of food - one is high-end and Polish-influenced, one is very casual and mostly Middle Eastern, and the third is a kind of "ironic" place opened up by a couple metalheads.

To the best of my knowledge, between the closure of the Quiet Storm in 2013 and the opening of these places, Pittsburgh didn't even have a single full-service vegetarian restaurant. There was brunch at Zenith, and that was about it. They're certainly not all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.