Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 10:19 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
Each Coast is distinctive.
There is a Western culture, an Eastern culture, and a Southern Culture.
I prefer the Pacific side over the Atlantic side, but I LOVE the Emerald Coast best of all.
Maine is IMO the most beautiful state in the US.
NYC is my favorite place on earth.
Pacific Coast Hwy is on my bucket list.
East Coast is "Lobstah" rolls in the North and BBQ in the South.
West Coast is Cali cuisine and amazing food trucks.
Gulf Coast is "South ya mouth", "Slap Yo Mama" spicy Cajun comfort food.
All have water, waves, beaches, and people that call it home.

All are coasts.
Nice post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 10:27 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
Gulf Coast culture is as distinctive from east coast culture or west coast culture as east and west coast culture are from each other. So, the Gulf coast exists as a cultural entity, which I think is what OP was getting at (I hope for OP's sake anyway) because if OP was actually wondering if the Gulf coast geographically exists than I don't know what to say other than of course it does...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I would disagree slightly, simply because the Gulf is technically part of the Atlantic. The differences between Charleston and New Orleans aren't nearly as drastic as those between the former and San Diego.
I agree with what your saying Gunion but this is where a nation's local traditions come in.

For example, take South America. Like North America, most of us would say that it borders both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. But now look at the extreme southern tip of South America (parts of Chile and Argentina). That is where the continent narrows into a peninsula sort of like Florida does up here.

So does South America really have two separate ocean coasts are they really just one Atlantic/Pacific Coast that are interconnected down by the Strait of Magellan? I think most people will say even though they are interconnected, they are still distinct enough to say there are two separate coasts. They might add another coast - the Caribbean Coast of South America.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:27 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
I don't think it too egregious to just refer to it as the "Gulf Shore" and leave the coast references to the oceans or extremely large lakes

Old 09-20-2017, 09:45 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I don't think it too egregious to just refer to it as the "Gulf Shore" and leave the coast references to the oceans or extremely large lakes
"Gulf Shores is a city on Alabama's Gulf Coast."

I'm not understanding your point lol.

Honestly I actually think the Gulf Coast captures more of a deeper, ingrained "Coastal" culture than the Great Lakes, Westcoast or Northeast. I think for that reason, people see it as a distinct subculture of the South, moreso than it is an actual stand alone Coast.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:46 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
It's only missing waves.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:13 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
It's only missing waves.
Only on the Eastern side. There are waves, albeit small ones, on the Texas Gulf coast. There is even a Texas Gulf Coast Surfing Association. Yeah, it doesn't compare to the East or West coast, but it's there!

Old 09-20-2017, 12:25 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Wtf are you talking about? The Gulf is part of the Atlantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
It's only missing waves.
Come during a storm.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:51 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,245 times
Quote:
LOL, did you make your comment with a straight face? Does it not count because it doesn't touch California? Using your logic, could you kindly point me to a lake on planet earth that is bigger than the Gulf of Mexico or show me where the physical barrier is between the Gulf and the Atlantic? I'll wait.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:01 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Yes. 1. Its a literal coastline. 2. It has a distinct culture, climate, feel. Houston, Biloxi, Nola, Mobile, Pensacola, Corpus, etc all share this certain style.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:00 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I never once in my life heard of this "coastal elite" bull before joining this forum. But it's mentioned here all the time. I've lived on the coast all my life and AFAIK normal people here on the coast don't think like that.
It's after they move away that they discover they are not the center of the universe. The media in NY, DC and California makes them think everyone thinks like them. They don't even know there are other people out there with different issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.