Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 07:24 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,302,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
OK ... Sarcasm or Satire right....
No. But there's yet another clueless post from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 07:33 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
No. But there's yet another clueless post from you.
Ok .... tell us what the Texas Gulf coast has in weather that best the Mediterranean? They have no Hurricanes. We all know what the Florida coast offers (well most of us).

But Alabama thru Texas? To even keep this Mediterranean brought in going is ridicules.

But since I'm clueless. Educate us on the virtues of the Gulf over the Great Mediterranean from Portugal through Greece? Even if just weather? Much of Texas coast is wetlands too.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:55 PM

Confirmed: humid subtropical > med.

Quote:
When we consider that the humid subtropical climate is characteristic of south China, as well as of the most densely populated portions of both India and Japan, we realize that this climate regime contains and feeds far more human beings than any other type.
https://goo.gl/duqP1Z

Old 03-17-2018, 07:58 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Scanned several pages of this thread but didn't read every single post, so forgive me if this point has been mentioned.

First, it is irritating the number of people with snarky answers based on just reading the title and not reading the OP's post. I understand the verbiage used to describe the two coasts and it does overlook the Gulf. In fact I would go so far as to say when someone in the media or national scene describes the "East Coast" they in fact are meaning the Northeastern US down to perhaps the mid Atlantic. They are not referring as much to the Atlantic Coast south of Chesapeake Bay for the most part.

If I were to lump the country into three distinct coastal regions, I would be more inclined to say West Coast, East Coast (Chesapeake Bay northward) and South Coast (Chesapeake Bay around Florida all the way to South Padre Island). This South Coast has more in common whether it faces the Atlantic or the Gulf of Mexico than it does with the Atlantic Coast north of Chesapeake Bay.

Within that overarching "South Coast" there are differences of course. There are differences in the Gulf. The mouth of the Mississippi around thru much of Texas is not that beautiful compared to the beauty of the Florida Panhandle. In the actual properties that make up a coast... the sand and water, the Florida panhandle is hard to beat.

I find the low country of South Carolina and Georgia the most interesting away from the beach but don't see the beauty in the actual beach as I do in the Florida panhandle. the rest of Florida has its own feel. Have yet to visit Cape Hatteras, I am sure it has it's own unique vibe.

But overall the South Coast shares more in common and is not what someone first thinks of when someone describes the "East Coast," even those parts that are fronting the Atlantic.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:34 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Confirmed: humid subtropical > med.

https://goo.gl/duqP1Z
A Specific link on what the Mediterranean Climate is.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...n-climate.html

A Mediterranean climate has mild, wet winters and warm to hot, dry summers.

The Mediterranean climate can be found in every continent except for Antarctica. In North America, the Mediterranean climate is found in central and southern California. In addition, the far northwest corner of Mexico in northern Baja California.

I said I agree the Gulf Coast is a REAL OCEAN COAST. So is the Mediterranean Sea. But to compare the two is far-fetched to have the Gulf Coast (outside of Florida) and especially the Texas Coast western part see of the Gulf Coast.

This Mediterranean Coast brought in to compare is ridicules. Especially to link the Texas coast as in any way besting it. Even in weather I'd say. Mediterranean summers are clearly superior in low humidity and sunny create longer ideal months of near perfect weather.

It's a Mediterranean Climate that gets boasted worldwide.... not the Gulf Coast. The Florida Gulf Coast is worthy of boast ... even if summers get too humid especially away from the coast itself.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
A Specific link on what the Mediterranean Climate is.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...n-climate.html

A Mediterranean climate has mild, wet winters and warm to hot, dry summers.

The Mediterranean climate can be found in every continent except for Antarctica. In North America, the Mediterranean climate is found in central and southern California. In addition, the far northwest corner of Mexico in northern Baja California.

I said I agree the Gulf Coast is a REAL OCEAN COAST. So is the Mediterranean Sea. But to compare the two is far-fetched to have the Gulf Coast (outside of Florida) and especially the Texas see of the Gulf Coast.

This Mediterranean Coast brought in to compare is ridicules. Especially to link the Texas coast as in any way besting it. Even in weather I'd say. Its summers are clearly superior in low humidity and sunny create longer ideal months of near perfect weather.

It's a Mediterranean Climate that gets boasted worldwide.... not the Gulf Coast. The Florida Gulf Coast is worthy of boast ... even if summers get too humid especially away from the coast itself.
I know about the weather in the Med. That's how I came to the conclusion that the Gulf's is better.

Everyone knows about Florida simply because it is the one state there that truly invested in it's coast. Once the other state's do, they will be known as well.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:44 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
First time I've ever heard "coastal" defined by crowds of people speaking different languages. Sometimes, you need to read it, to believe it. And, then, you still can't. Where are these "crowds of people" speaking overseas languages in Greenville and Lexington SC., or in Beaufort, NC.....and on, and on, and so forth. You get the picture.
I said "cities" and "generally." I also said "punch above their weight," which means relative to the average (it's a boxing term).

Old 03-18-2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Starfighter View Post
For doing everything else there is to do under the sun, I'll take Medi weather, lol.
You'll regret that choice during fall, winter, and spring. Perhap summer as well, depending on how you like your vegetation.

Quote:
I don't know about that last statement there big guy.

I come from a wee little, rather infamous place called New Jersey...
I was speaking strictly in reference to the other Gulf states, space cadet.

Last edited by Texyn; 03-18-2018 at 12:36 AM..

Old 03-18-2018, 04:16 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
First, it is irritating the number of people with snarky answers based on just reading the title and not reading the OP's post.
Man, I thought I was the only one. But hey, it's C-D...what can you say.

I do wish the OP had come up with a title that accurately reflects what he's getting at though. "Why is the Gulf Coast excluded when people talk about 'the coasts'?" would have been a much better title.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:29 AM

233 posts, read 172,501 times
Quote:
Well Napoleon, since you clarified that, I think it's right funny that in your wildest fevered dreams, you'd ever deign to believe that anywhere else on the Gulf Coast outside of Florida, that sliver of Alabama or SPI, could possibly be worth ever building up, or that it will ever happen. You talking about Grand Isle there Dub-yuh? Bwahaha. When the rest gets built up...that's a larf.

Face it, the rest of the Gulf, outside of Florida and the above two exceptions sucks. Horribly.

But especially bud...wait for it....in "Texys". Port A is a joke, and Galveston is infamous for having one of the worst beaches in the U.S. Texas beaches have always sucked and will forever be sub-par. Since you wanna get cute, rebut that.

When the rest gets built up? Good luck waitin' on that, Mr. 10 gallon cowboy hat.
The entire coast from around Corpus Christi to SPI is very beautiful (at least the sand dunes and water color) in Texas. It's not just SPI though that's the famous area that everyone drives to.

And while Galveston won't win any rewards, it's not terrible. I fail to see what's worse about Galveston than say the Jersey shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.