Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2017, 02:22 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Or for disliking snow and ice on a regular basis!
Already noted several times and I understand.

For those of us a bit steadier on our feet, however, snow makes for a lot of fun. Looking forward to more scenes like this in the next few months:

(my pic)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 03:19 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
What a Scrooge! You look at a beautiful Christmas montage and all you can think about is utility bills?

(my pic)
Maybe because I don't have this weird obsession with weather and the holidays. What I associate with the holidays is my time with the family, not if it is snowing. And for most of the world, that's the exact same way.

Though I found it funny I was called a Southerner earlier in the thread. That's a new one.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Maybe because I don't have this weird obsession with weather and the holidays. What I associate with the holidays is my time with the family, not if it is snowing.
That’s certainly good on you.

Personally, I’m glad to be back east for a proper Christmas after 26 years in Texas. Songs like “White Christmas,” “Frosty the Snowman,” “Winter Wonderland,” and “Let it Snow” failed to put me in the same holiday spirit when I was sweating. Never really embraced “Feliz Navidad.” Oh well.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:09 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
That’s certainly good on you.

Personally, I’m glad to be back east for a proper Christmas after 26 years in Texas. Songs like “White Christmas,†“Frosty the Snowman,†“Winter Wonderland,†and “Let it Snow†failed to put me in the same holiday spirit when I was sweating. Never really embraced “Feliz Navidad.†Oh well.
I hate Christmas music.

But here in AZ we do get chilly nights and mornings that are always a nice change. No snow but if it was boiling hot I would be pretty mad. After this year, so Christmas 2018, I'll probably start spending the holidays in Florida, which arguably has less of a winter than Phoenix does. But that's where the family is, so....

For me it's the decorations. I get a huge kick out of seeing a saguaro decorated with lights. I love it, personally.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I hate Christmas music.

But here in AZ we do get chilly nights and mornings that are always a nice change. No snow but if it was boiling hot I would be pretty mad. After this year, so Christmas 2018, I'll probably start spending the holidays in Florida, which arguably has less of a winter than Phoenix does. But that's where the family is, so....

For me it's the decorations. I get a huge kick out of seeing a saguaro decorated with lights. I love it, personally.
You hate Christmas music? Oh no! I also like the decorations. While Houston lacked in nippy weather, it was pretty big in decorations. Several shopping centers around the city wrap some of their palm trees in lights. I’ve never seen a saguaro decked out, however. I can see where that might be a kick.

As you noted a post or two back, Christmas is always best with family. Even in Florida.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:35 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,065 times
I grew up in Australia- where we had Very Hot and Not Quite as Hot weather (where I grew up, anyhow).

I LOVE having the 4 distinct seasons. Now that I've had them for years in the U.S, I don't want to live anywhere without them.

Old 11-04-2017, 10:02 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Yes it's pretty but there's more to things than just aesthetics. Like heating bills and black ice.
black ice is about as frequent as a tornado

Old 11-04-2017, 10:24 PM

375 posts, read 331,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
black ice is about as frequent as a tornado
Not really, I don't even live in those climates, but whenever I'm there for business for a prolonged period of time in the winter, my car seems to hit "black ice." A couple times I lost control of my car and was only inches away from an accident, thankfully none happened.

In contrast, I never seen a tornado in my life.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:01 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,514,172 times
Though I love the 4-season climate, I do see where you're coming from. My wife and I are temporarily living in Cape Cod, MA to help care for my mother-in-law who is battling Parkinson's Disease. Our permanent home is in the Charlotte, NC area. Thought both Cape Cod and Charlotte would be considered to have 4-season climates, Charlottes is much less extreme. So I love 4-season climates, but prefer a climate like Charlotte's. Though I love NC's climate, I also love Florida's tropical climate as well. For me, the only climate that I simply couldn't live in would be the Pacific Northwest. The drizzly, grey, wet climate that Seattle and Portland have is very, VERY depressing to me. I couldn't stand it! But this whole discussion is a personal preference thing. No right or wrong answers. Good post!

Old 11-05-2017, 07:24 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Quote:
Yes it's pretty but there's more to things than just aesthetics. Like heating bills and black ice.
Black ice sucks I give you that but most of y'all have higher bills for A.C. than we have for heat. My heat runs on gas which is not very expensive. I don't even have air conditioning and it's not needed really. A fan will do fine here. But in Texas or Florida a fan won't do jack squiddly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.