Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 05:59 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Obviously, you've never been to a third world country if you think that's third world. And it looks like a lot of houses are being torn down and replaced with newer ones throughout that view. But hey, why let get facts in the way of an agenda? I don't even like Phoenix, but I wouldn't describe it as a third world city at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 06:51 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,565,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Precisely, which is the notion we both were countering. I'm surprised you didn't catch that in that exchange.
I'll admit to overlooking a few pages in the thread.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:25 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Obviously, you've never been to a third world country if you think that's third world. And it looks like a lot of houses are being torn down and replaced with newer ones throughout that view. But hey, why let get facts in the way of an agenda? I don't even like Phoenix, but I wouldn't describe it as a third world city at all.
With poverty growing in the US, I think US cities and their infrastructure often don't appear to be first-world. That shot of Phoenix isn't what I'm referring to though. Our investment into infrastructure in our cities and rampant poverty with violence does fall into 3rd world category (and I have been to a few 3rd world countries).

That's part of how I see the OP's question. A city like Baltimore is interesting because it has a good size population, is intact to an extent, but then has so many neighborhoods that are filled with gun violence and open air drug markets. Then take a look at our subways and older infrastructure. Even NYC's subway stations often look like caves.

Philadelphia is another interesting case. City bus stations are being revamped, but transit stations and roads in the city are not representative of the "richest country in the world". And then the enormous swaths of neighborhoods with open air drug markets and gun violence are definitely 3rd world; same as Baltimore.

When we're talking about cities with a weak core and strong suburbs, I think economy, safety, transportation, housing/density, cultural offerings all come into play. Cities that have large city limits with suburbia and rural, should be parred down to the "core" for comparison's sake. Especially with a city like Phoenix.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:31 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
With poverty growing in the US, I think US cities and their infrastructure often don't appear to be first-world. That shot of Phoenix isn't what I'm referring to though. Our investment into infrastructure in our cities and rampant poverty with violence does fall into 3rd world category (and I have been to a few 3rd world countries).

That's part of how I see the OP's question. A city like Baltimore is interesting because it has a good size population, is intact to an extent, but then has so many neighborhoods that are filled with gun violence and open air drug markets. Then take a look at our subways and older infrastructure. Even NYC's subway stations often look like caves.

Philadelphia is another interesting case. City bus stations are being revamped, but transit stations and roads in the city are not representative of the "richest country in the world". And then the enormous swaths of neighborhoods with open air drug markets and gun violence are definitely 3rd world; same as Baltimore.

When we're talking about cities with a weak core and strong suburbs, I think economy, safety, transportation, housing/density, cultural offerings all come into play. Cities that have large city limits with suburbia and rural, should be parred down to the "core" for comparison's sake. Especially with a city like Phoenix.
America has terrible infrastructure because legislators from the sticks, who resent cities control the purse-strings.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:34 AM

9,893 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Dallas-Fort Worth

Old 01-05-2018, 11:35 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
America has terrible infrastructure because legislators from the sticks, who resent cities control the purse-strings.
A large part of it IMO is that too many roads are built everywhere and not enough of a balance across modes is applied. We can only afford to maintain so many roads, and that burden dries up a large majority of the transportation budget.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:28 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,117,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Dallas-Fort Worth
It would only make sense if the city was reliant on the suburbs for jobs, cultural attractions, and entertainment. For the most part, that is not true. Jerry World out in Arlington is rather minor in the grand scheme of things. DFW is essentially LA-Orange County -- strong cities AND strong suburbs. Weak city/strong suburbs would actually be Metro Detroit. Perhaps Phoenix as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.