Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 05:28 PM

25 posts, read 29,318 times

Advertisements

Hey! I can't seem to find any data anywhere about this, but where do you think casual sex/hookup culture/attitudes towards casual sex/hookup culture would be the most prevalent/liberal, and least prevalent/conservative? Thanks for any opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 06:10 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,012,901 times
I would guess they're biggest in major cities where the population skews younger.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:19 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
The census has a stat about births to unmarried women......?

Old 01-11-2018, 06:44 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,470,727 times
Miami is hook up capital. I'd hate trying to find a future husband down there. I'd assume Vegas and other "party cities" are similar.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:46 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,470,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I would guess they're biggest in major cities where the population skews younger.

Funny, cuz me and my best friends are not into hook up culture, we're very reserved sexually and look for meaningful monogamous relationships (we're not prudes either, despite the fact my friend jokes we are). We are in our early 20s. That same friend that jokes that we're prudes, is in his late 30s and he says his friends his age are more sexually open and into hook ups and such. Go figure! We're all gay though, if it makes a difference.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:58 PM

6,381 posts, read 5,501,958 times
David Duchonvy's character in "Californication" would seem to imply that Los Angeles would be the epicenter of sexual hedonism

Old 01-11-2018, 07:28 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times
My guess would be that the cities with heavy workaholic vibes (not culturally conservative ones) would be the cities with the least amount of hook up culture. From what I've seen many folks in places like Silicon Valley (and SF), Seattle, and Washington DC are working way too many hours to meet Mr. Goodbar.

And yes, "party" cities like New Orleans, Miami, Vegas, and probably LA are where I'd think boots are knockin' the most.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:09 PM

25 posts, read 29,318 times
How about rural areas? Which rural areas would have the most and least of an ingrained hookup culture? Or would the intensity be pretty flat everywhere?

Old 01-11-2018, 09:39 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US64WB View Post
How about rural areas? Which rural areas would have the most and least of an ingrained hookup culture? Or would the intensity be pretty flat everywhere?
In poor smaller cities/towns, you can get laid for days.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:36 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,493,317 times
Us64wb:

I would imagine bigger cities would have more of it, simply because there are more people there.

But rural areas probably have their fair share.

One thing I'd notice, since you say you are all gay and as I understand it, is that there seems there are more reported "open relationship " couples in the gay community than in the straight community.
That's not to say they don't exist in straight couples or that there arent "swingers" ( as they used to call them) in the straight world. Also 51% of straight marriages and in divorce.

Perhaps the gay community penchant towards "open relationships " is due simply to the fact that until recently they could not get legally married. Therefore permenamt attachments or bonds are/were fewer.

So your telling of the fact you are all gay might skew results.

Anybody anywhere who wants to have a fling can find one.

Not everyone lives in a "Halmark Special Moments" relationship or marriage !!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.