Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 07:05 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
First of all Hinsdale is just vomit to me. No character, new money tear downs left and right.

Naperville cannot be included in the quaint extremely wealthy suburbs of the North Shore. Reason being there are over 150,000 and a lot of land in Naperville compared to those burbs. North Shore is old money and of course real estate prices are more pricy

Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills, Western Springs are kind of "we cannot afford the North shore, but want the tear down."

Naperville experiences this as well to a smaller level.

That all said, there is no downtown in Chicagoland that rivals downtown Naperville in 2018. From restaurants, to entertainment, to riverwalk, festivals, etc. there is nothing like it.
So, despite Naperville's downtown, in a conversation of nicest suburbs in the US, it sounds like you'd agree that some of the North Shore towns would represent Chicago in this discussion? Certainly before Naperville or Hinsdale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 07:17 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Tysons Corner is massive and home to Intelsat, Gannett, Hilton Worldwide, Cvent, Freddie Mac, Capital One and Booz Allen Hamilton to name a few. Tysons Corner Mall is a top 10 mall in the country and also generates nearly 50% more in sales compared to Lenox and does not compare to a mall like Perimeter, its where the first Apple store ever opened. Tysons Corner also has twice the density of Buckhead, is more diverse and has a much lower crime rate. Either way they're both sprawled out messes of skyscrapers next to strip malls next to expensive large homes which was my original point.

It's amazing how homerism blinds some folks as JMatl said that Tysons Corner doesnt meet Buckhead on any single metric..
Like I said, Tyson's Corner is more Perimeter than Buckhead. Density argument? Haha, that is what makes Buckhead unique. And I don't think the OP had malls in mind when the criteria were set for this discussion. I think that is the antithesis of his argument here.

Or did I stumble into a mislabeled edge city argument?

Haha, posted before I read others taking you to task.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:01 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Like I said, Tyson's Corner is more Perimeter than Buckhead. Density argument? Haha, that is what makes Buckhead unique. And I don't think the OP had malls in mind when the criteria were set for this discussion. I think that is the antithesis of his argument here.

Or did I stumble into a mislabeled edge city argument?

Haha, posted before I read others taking you to task.
Are you sure you read the same thing? Anyone that replied was basically rolling their eyes at JMatl's ridiculous points. Try rereading.

Last edited by Ebck120; 01-30-2018 at 08:10 AM..

Old 01-30-2018, 08:20 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Are you sure you read the same thing? Anyone that replied was basically rolling their eyes at JMatl's ridiculous points. Try rereading.
Here's a novel approach: Try employing a little consideration and respect when responding to other poster's opinions. You might earn a little yourself in the process.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:21 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
A/K/A The Usual Suspects.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:31 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Just was answering your comment to my post. I later saw you post that Buckhead has a mean income of $43k. Interesting. Million dollar estates on $43k a year. There is a rural outpost somewhere in the state of Georgia incorporated as Buckhead. Are you sure you didn't pull some statistic from there?

I just found median household income for Buckhead at $280k, Tyson's Corner $174k. Of course both are from their respective Wikipedia pages, but those are both known to be editied by local boosters. Seems more in line with reality. $43k might get you into a studio in Buckhead, or someone's garage apt. Now the little burg of Buckhead, GA... a nice doublewide. Just one little point to bring up in this back and forth that is so horribly off in your post, no need to bring JMatl into the discussion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckhead,_Georgia

However, Tyson's Corner needs to be discussed with Edge Cities, not in this thread.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Just was answering your comment to my post. I later saw you post that Buckhead has a mean income of $43k. Interesting. Million dollar estates on $43k a year. There is a rural outpost somewhere in the state of Georgia incorporated as Buckhead. Are you sure you didn't pull some statistic from there?

I just found median household income for Buckhead at $280k, Tyson's Corner $174k. Of course both are from their respective Wikipedia pages, but those are both known to be editied by local boosters. Seems more in line with reality. $43k might get you into a studio in Buckhead, or someone's garage apt. Now the little burg of Buckhead, GA... a nice doublewide. Just one little point to bring up in this back and forth that is so horribly off in your post, no need to bring JMatl into the discussion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckhead,_Georgia

However, Tyson's Corner needs to be discussed with Edge Cities, not in this thread.
Just from a quick google search, Buckhead's median household income sits just around 100k, if not lower.

Where are the wealthiest (and poorest) neighborhoods, by MARTA...
Buckhead, GA Economic Data - City Facts -o
Zip Codes with the Highest Median Household Income in Georgia | Zip Atlas

We can continue and look into education attainment or corporate presence or whatever else topic you'd like. I'm pretty sure Tysons will beat out Buckheads in most aspects.

Last edited by Yac; 12-11-2020 at 12:56 AM..

Old 01-30-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
A/K/A The Usual Suspects.
Aren't you guys the usual suspects from your end?

Old 01-30-2018, 09:02 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
There's a few articles below mentioning it. So let's go back to where you said Tysons can't meet any metric against Buckhead? Are you ignoring that now that you've been proven wrong, that you're only claim now for Buckhead being better is two luxury hotels?
You haven't proven crap. And you continue to expose your total ignorance of Buckhead in each increasingly ridiculous post. And I only mentioned the two nicest hotels. Try Grand Hyatt, Intercontinental, J.W. Marriott, the coming Nobu, Westin and W as well.

Quote:
sorry but we tend to keep our best hotels "in" the city and Hilton is headquartered in Tysons.
As do we, Buckhead is the City. And who gives a damn if Hilton is HQ'd there, it obviously hasn't improved the local hotel scene. Tysons simply doesn't have the demand nor the market for so many luxury hotels, while Buckhead does.

Nothing but pure local puff pieces, and proves nothing. Check out how JLL & CBRE define your precious '12th largest Business District.' They include office space in Reston and all of the Dulles Tollway corridor as well, LOLOLOL!!! That's more inflated than the typical D.C. ego, and hardly presents an accurate picture at all.

Quote:
Oh and by the way, I see that there is no mention from you regarding anything else I posted such as crime rate and salaries......... willfull ignorance?

Have you looked up average household income? Or education attainment? Below is a comparison between the two. Eat it.
LOLOL! More pure garbage. Sperlings claims the population of Buckhead as 171, and declining! Zero credibility, and quite the stretch to use this garbage - even for you. You have stooped to lies about Atlanta again, using stats for Buckhead Georgia.

Next.

Quote:
Like I said before, both are sprawly messes with skyscrapers next to strip malls next to large homes. Also they are both quasi urban suburbs with both having a rail line that goes through, prominent shopping centers, and are important business centers for their respective cities.

How you think Buckhead is light years better then Tysons is beyond me.... it's pure homerism, at least I said they were comparable.
They aren't comparable, at all. The only thing they have in common is large shopping malls, Tysons is literally years behind Buckhead whether you can wrap you head around it or not.

You agenda has been exposed, yet again. Major fail, on all points.

Last edited by Yac; 11-18-2020 at 02:31 AM..

Old 01-30-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You haven't proven crap. And you continue to expose your total ignorance of Buckhead in each increasingly ridiculous post. And I only mentioned the two nicest hotels. Try Grand Hyatt, Intercontinental, J.W. Marriott, the coming Nobu, Westin and W as well.

As do we, Buckhead is the City. And who gives a damn if Hilton is HQ'd there, it obviously hasn't improved the local hotel scene. Tysons simply doesn't have the demand nor the market for so many luxury hotels, while Buckhead does.

Nothing but pure local puff pieces, and proves nothing. Check out how JLL & CBRE define your precious '12th largest Business District.' They include office space in Reston and all of the Dulles Tollway corridor as well, LOLOLOL!!! That's more inflated than the typical D.C. ego, and hardly presents an accurate picture at all.

LOLOL! More pure garbage. Sperlings claims the population of Buckhead as 171, and declining! Zero credibility, and quite the stretch to use this garbage - even for you.

Next.

They aren't comparable, at all. The only thing they have in common is large shopping malls, Tysons is literally years behind Buckhead whether you can wrap you head around it or not.

You agenda has been exposed, yet again. Major fail, on all points.
This all started from your ridiculous statement that Tysons is nowhere near Buckheads level and after all that you've still said nothing else besides 2 hotels ..all you have to do is prove how Buckhead is so much better but you really can't, can you? Show me the stats, or you are a bunch of homerism hogwash.

Roll up your blinders! Atlanta is not the best thing on earth.

Last edited by Ebck120; 01-30-2018 at 09:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.