Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 02:28 PM

8 posts, read 7,987 times

Advertisements

Hi! I recently left a certain high-tax west coast state for a temporary spot in the desert, and am now trying to figure out a place to "put down roots." I may be a bit of an anomaly, so I'm having trouble figuring out where to go. I'd appreciate any advice!

I know the perfect place doesn't exist and I'll need to compromise in some areas (perhaps many), but I thought I'd tap into the collective wisdom of the City Data forum to see if there's some place I haven't yet considered.

Here's what I'm looking for:
- Lots of green and water (fresh water preferred, especially lakes)
- Friendly, reliable people (I'm tired of California flakiness)
- A more humid, cooler climate (dryness and heat above 90F crush my soul)
- Four seasons, a snowy winter, and actual "weather" (I find endless sunshine boring and love winter clothing)
- Outdoor activities (hiking, swimming, skiing, boating, horseback riding)
- Lower taxes (especially income tax)
- A business-friendly, more conservative state that is not a "sanctuary state"
- A bit of a tech/startup/entrepreneurial scene
- A strong connection to the land, agriculture, farming
- Common sense urban planning (bike-friendly, transit-friendly, walkable downtown)
- Historic and more traditional architecture
- Within a 2-hour drive of a major airport, or very close to a smaller regional airport
- Not everyone is married, but also not exclusively a college town
- Some single men with integrity and high motivation
- Population somewhere between 25,000 and 600,000
- Smart workforce for when I need to hire (I currently work from home)
- No sagebrush or chaparral

As someone who's spent most of her life in the busy, stucco'd sprawl of SoCal, I really dig the beautiful stone and brick architecture (whether they're houses or public buildings) in places east of the Rockies. Traditional farmhouses are awesome, too. Also, I'm sick of cactus, sagebrush, and succulents and prefer colorful, green English-garden-style flora. One of my favorite climate types is Koppen Cfb, but the only place it exists in the continental US is a very liberal sanctuary state (Washington) with a high business gross receipts tax. Boo.

Basically, I'm looking for Switzerland, but in the U.S. Does something like it exist here?

More about me, in case it's helpful:
- Mid-30s female, single, no kids
- Motivated and creative entrepreneur with high income
- Educated (grad school) but I don't think higher education is required to be smart and successful
- Friends and family are scattered around the country
- Fiscally conservative
- Socially I don't care too much, as long as it doesn't harm anyone and it's not shoved in my face
- High respect for military
- Strong moral principles but not religious
- Strong love and respect for animals and nature
- Down-to-earth and friendly

Thanks so much!!

Last edited by LostAnomaly; 04-09-2018 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: Added a bit more detail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 02:37 PM

11,114 posts, read 7,180,697 times
I racked my brain thinking of a place, but only came up with places in Europe and possibly Canada. Some US locations started coming to mind, only to have other factors squash them and cancel them out.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:57 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,093,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I racked my brain thinking of a place, but only came up with places in Europe and possibly Canada. Some US locations started coming to mind, only to have other factors squash them and cancel them out.
What conservative Canadian or European places were you thinking of with low taxes, especially by standards of an American?

Old 04-09-2018, 03:03 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,957,865 times
OP, you essentially want a liberal town and lifestyle with a conservative populace.

You will need to bend on some of your criteria. I mean Coeur d'Alene, ID is a good candidate, but lacks some pretty glaring things.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:04 PM

7,481 posts, read 6,268,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAnomaly View Post
Hi! I recently left a certain high-tax west coast state for a temporary spot in the desert, and am now trying to figure out a place to "put down roots." I may be a bit of an anomaly, so I'm having trouble figuring out where to go. I'd appreciate any advice!

I know the perfect place doesn't exist and I'll need to compromise in some areas (perhaps many), but I thought I'd tap into the collective wisdom of the City Data forum to see if there's some place I haven't yet considered.

Here's what I'm looking for:
- Lots of green and water (fresh water preferred, especially lakes)
- Friendly, reliable people (I'm tired of California flakiness)
- A more humid, cooler climate (dryness and heat above 90F crush my soul)
- Four seasons, a snowy winter, and actual "weather" (I find endless sunshine boring and love winter clothing)
- Outdoor activities (hiking, swimming, skiing, boating, horseback riding)
- Lower taxes (especially income tax)
- A business-friendly, more conservative state that is not a "sanctuary state"
- A bit of a tech/startup/entrepreneurial scene
- A strong connection to the land, agriculture, farming
- Common sense urban planning (bike-friendly, transit-friendly, walkable downtown)
- Historic and more traditional architecture
- Within a 2-hour drive of a major airport, or very close to a smaller regional airport
- Not everyone is married, but also not exclusively a college town
- Some single men with integrity and high motivation
- Population somewhere between 25,000 and 600,000
- Smart workforce for when I need to hire (I currently work from home)
- No sagebrush or chaparral

As someone who's spent most of her life in the busy, stucco'd sprawl of SoCal, I really dig the beautiful stone and brick architecture (whether they're houses or public buildings) in places east of the Rockies. Traditional farmhouses are awesome, too. Also, I'm sick of cactus, sagebrush, and succulents and prefer colorful, green English-garden-style flora. One of my favorite climate types is Koppen Cfb, but the only place it exists in the continental US is a very liberal sanctuary state (Washington) with a high business gross receipts tax. Boo.

Basically, I'm looking for Switzerland, but in the U.S. Does something like it exist here?

More about me, in case it's helpful:
- Mid-30s female, single, no kids
- Motivated and creative entrepreneur with high income
- Educated (grad school) but I don't think higher education is required to be smart and successful
- Friends and family are scattered around the country
- Fiscally conservative
- Socially I don't care too much, as long as it doesn't harm anyone and it's not shoved in my face
- High respect for military
- Strong moral principles but not religious
- Strong love and respect for animals and nature
- Down-to-earth and friendly

Thanks so much!!
Carrollton ,Georgia with the exception of the 90deg. Weather.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:32 PM

828 posts, read 650,992 times
Nope.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
OP, you essentially want a liberal town and lifestyle with a conservative populace.

You will need to bend on some of your criteria. I mean Coeur d'Alene, ID is a good candidate, but lacks some pretty glaring things.
I suppose - though I don't know why common sense things like walkability, bike- and transit-planning are considered liberal policies in this country.

Coeur d'Alene is gorgeous!

Old 04-09-2018, 05:34 PM

Hehe. If I had to choose between liberal and conservative at the state/local level, I'd rather have a more liberal city (due to those "progressive" urban planning policies) in a more conservative state (for the tax purposes, overall fiscal responsibility, and less nanny-like behavior).

I'd probably prioritize climate/terrain and people. I can always travel to a bigger city to ride a train and look at cool architecture.

I knew this would be a challenge!

Anything in the midwest? I'm not as familiar with that area...

Thanks again.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:37 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,957,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAnomaly View Post
I suppose - though I don't know why common sense things like walkability, bike- and transit-planning are considered liberal policies in this country.

Coeur d'Alene is gorgeous!
Indeed it is.

And to respond to your previous statement, it's pretty obvious that most conservative cities/towns do not prioritize things like that, in fact, they discourage them if anything. Conservative cities and towns are typically suburban in nature, if anything is prioritized it's to better accommodate more single-family houses and more roads (aka car-oriented transit).

Old 04-09-2018, 05:41 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,574,876 times
Cleveland/Akron general area of NE Ohio probably meets more of this criteria than not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.