Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 10:34 AM

93,594 posts, read 124,322,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
WY has a dry climate.
Besides that, it fits much of the criteria and not all of it will be fulfilled anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 11:42 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,536,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAnomaly View Post
I suppose - though I don't know why common sense things like walkability, bike- and transit-planning are considered liberal policies in this country.

Coeur d'Alene is gorgeous!
I think the distinction is when a city/town tries to make all or most of its entire town walkable/transit friendly and those areas are heavily regulated, that drives up real estate prices dramatically. Transit is not economically self sustaining, so taxes have to be poured into it. That's usually in more liberal areas. Areas where transit/walkable areas are ONE option, as well as larger plots, more driving oriented areas where residents have choices, that tends to be in more conservative areas where the cost of living is lower. So it's pretty much finding that balance that you're comfortable with. The closest to your description that I can think of off the top of your head is Pittsburgh. I know it's not very conservative, but I have friends there who are conservatives, have found their niche, and are happy. Good luck wherever you end up.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:19 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,720,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Besides that, it fits much of the criteria and not all of it will be fulfilled anyway.
Good urban planning, lots of interesting historic buildings, no sagebrush, green vegetation, humid air...ummmm, yeah, sure...

Old 12-04-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Good urban planning, lots of interesting historic buildings, no sagebrush, green vegetation, humid air...ummmm, yeah, sure...
Again, there isn’t a place that is going to fit everything and a couple of those things are subjective. So, you’re better off offering up something reasonable.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-04-2018 at 08:04 PM..

Old 12-04-2018, 09:00 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,720,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Again, there isn’t a place that is going to fit everything and a couple of those things are subjective. So, you’re better off offering up something reasonable.
Which others have already suggested. I don’t think WY comes close.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Which others have already suggested. I don’t think WY comes close.
Many of those other places also miss the mark in some aspects as well. So, I don’t believe there has been a perfect match for the criteria.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:44 PM

7,735 posts, read 6,480,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You are probably describing New Hampshire but the winters are loooong, dark, cold, and depressing. You could check out their lakes region.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakes_...(New_Hampshire)

"Depressing" is relative. Growing up in Florida where there's no winters vs living in Minnesota, I LOVE the winters up north. I love the snow and I love Christmas lights reflecting off of it. Depressing to me is hot with no change. I don't even mind grey skies as long as there's white snow everywhere. (Though winters in MN are very sunny compared to the Northeast)

Old 12-04-2018, 11:17 PM

7,735 posts, read 6,480,692 times
I'd look into the Upper Midwest. Maybe St. Cloud, MN or Fargo, ND?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.