Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2021, 09:49 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
States with the "coolest" reputations
Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 10:57 PM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Tier 1: California Colorado Florida Texas New Jersey Hawaii

Tier 2: Washington New York maybe Vermont
Nj? Lol. Bruh wut.

Nj has the farthest reputation from cool despite what theres to may like about it.

Literally everyone replies with a “eewww” or “yuck” when i say i live in nj.

Old 11-02-2021, 01:56 AM

662 posts, read 1,281,680 times
California: Evokes hippies, hipsters, Hollywood, artists, good wine
Colorado: Evokes REI buying outdoorsy, young fit people skiing
Oregon: Evokes weird creative hipsters

The common thread is that cool states tend to attract the young and creative, and an outdoorsy lifestyle.

New York is a special case though. Usually the main city has a strong effect on how we view the state. In this case, the idea of NEW YORK STATE just evokes rural areas and farms. This is different for the states I mentioned. Even though all three are also, in reality, rural and farm-y, when you think of the rest of the state, natural beauty and wonders mostly come to mind. That’s why they escape the fate of NY in terms of what it evokes as a whole state.

Last edited by dtran103; 11-02-2021 at 02:50 AM..

Old 11-02-2021, 02:59 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Nj? Lol. Bruh wut.

Nj has the farthest reputation from cool despite what theres to may like about it.

Literally everyone replies with a “eewww” or “yuck” when i say i live in nj.
Texas is pretty bizarre to list, too. Austin used to have a “cool” reputation before it was overwhelmed with explosive growth but the rest of the state doesn’t have that reputation.

Old 11-02-2021, 09:15 AM

211 posts, read 136,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Texas is pretty bizarre to list, too. Austin used to have a “cool” reputation before it was overwhelmed with explosive growth but the rest of the state doesn’t have that reputation.

Actually I think Far West Texas (the Trans-Pecos) is pretty cool in an exotic, undiscovered kind of way. Granted it's not a majority of the state, but look at the appeal/reputation of a place like Marfa, plus Big Bend is another draw. I'd rather take a trip there than to the Hill Country, tbh.

Also Colorado has been overwhelmed with explosive growth, yet everyone keeps citing it as a 'cool' place, so idk if that has any bearing.

Last edited by boomtown boi; 11-02-2021 at 09:46 AM..

Old 11-02-2021, 10:45 AM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Well Houston has Beyoncé, and I think I saw a social media posts of bands I like hanging out in Deep Ellum in Dallas. Texas’ inclusion on that list was no where near as wild as Jersey’s.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:23 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
Minnesota

Old 11-02-2021, 11:42 AM

503 posts, read 800,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Minnesota
You think so? Maybe it’s getting there.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:46 AM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Well Houston has Beyoncé, and I think I saw a social media posts of bands I like hanging out in Deep Ellum in Dallas. Texas’ inclusion on that list was no where near as wild as Jersey’s.
Yeah even though I like NJ... my car was broken into, i was robbed where I worked at, a homeless guy broke into my apartment and someone was shot next to my building in a matter of two weeks.

I tell people that and they are like, well, yeah.. thats Jersey! lol they arent even shocked or surprised.

NJ has not one blood of 'cool' in it's reputation. Its known as slimey, grimey, smelly an dirty to a lot of people.

Old 11-02-2021, 04:28 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah even though I like NJ... my car was broken into, i was robbed where I worked at, a homeless guy broke into my apartment and someone was shot next to my building in a matter of two weeks.

I tell people that and they are like, well, yeah.. thats Jersey! lol they arent even shocked or surprised.

NJ has not one blood of 'cool' in it's reputation. Its known as slimey, grimey, smelly an dirty to a lot of people.
Although probably not true but I feel like NJ is riding off the coat tails of NYC and Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.