Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 03:28 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,278,111 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia has their own slang, but the accent is pretty neutral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 06:47 PM

119 posts, read 343,965 times
The DC, Baltimore, Philly, NJ, NYC, and Boston (Black American) "southern twang" that some occasionally hear in those Northern accents come from the "Tidewater Accent" which originates from the coastal areas of VA and NC.

You are basically hearing some pronunciations, words, and slang terms that originated in the South that were passed down from their elder family. This is something unique to Black culture and I like seeing that it is becoming more embraced.

Edit: Philly does have a strong and very unique accent. Somebody popular today and Black that has that accent is Kevin Hart.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:52 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,188,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfiveseven View Post
The DC, Baltimore, Philly, NJ, NYC, and Boston (Black American) "southern twang" that some occasionally hear in those Northern accents come from the "Tidewater Accent" which originates from the coastal areas of VA and NC.

You are basically hearing some pronunciations, words, and slang terms that originated in the South that were passed down from their elder family. This is something unique to Black culture and I like seeing that it is becoming more embraced.

Edit: Philly does have a strong and very unique accent. Somebody popular today and Black that has that accent is Kevin Hart.
Kevin Hart does not have the Black Philly accent. Kevin Hart sounds neutral imo. Dion Waiters has a strong black Philly accent

Old 08-03-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Kevin Hart does not have the Black Philly accent. Kevin Hart sounds neutral imo. Dion Waiters has a strong black Philly accent

I just listened to the Dion Waiters interview and yeah that is a a good example of a strong black Philly accent. Kevin Hart sounds very Philly to me too but maybe a little more proper.

I was gonna reference some Philly rappers like Beanie Sigel and Eve as examples but I'm not sure if the "millennials" on this board are familiar with those names .

Old 08-05-2018, 10:43 AM

50 posts, read 38,022 times
accents and dialects can be just stupid sounding, like most (not all) black people in most all US cities- you can meet blacks in chicago (native) and they sound like they are from Jackson MS...who knows?

maybe for the same reason that some blacks can't properly say "ASK", but instead say "AXE", which I have yet to understand one bit

maybe for the same reason that blacks who immigrate from Nigeria speak clear standard English perfectly, and some black native from Atlanta or Birmingham don't, and manytimes use "ghetto-speak" or a weird venacular..

who knows

Old 08-05-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeWarren View Post
accents and dialects can be just stupid sounding, like most (not all) black people in most all US cities- you can meet blacks in chicago (native) and they sound like they are from Jackson MS...who knows?

maybe for the same reason that some blacks can't properly say "ASK", but instead say "AXE", which I have yet to understand one bit

maybe for the same reason that blacks who immigrate from Nigeria speak clear standard English perfectly, and some black native from Atlanta or Birmingham don't, and manytimes use "ghetto-speak" or a weird venacular..

who knows

Your comment is ignorant as hell! At least you did type "who knows" early in the text so that we all know how clueless you are. Goodnight!

Old 08-06-2018, 12:33 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfiveseven View Post
Your comment is ignorant as hell! At least you did type "who knows" early in the text so that we all know how clueless you are. Goodnight!
Ignore the troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.