Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 10:24 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times

Advertisements

By 8:45 in the evening, June 27, 2018

The NorCal coast is a lot colder than the SoCal coast especially in the summer which is a BIG PLUS for Sacramento because even though Sacramento is over 80 miles from the Ocean the cold-Cool Pacific Air is a Natural Air Conditioner for Sacramento.

NorCal Coast - San Francisco: 52F, feels like temp(wind chill)
NorCal Inland - Sacramento: 68F - Sacramento is 85 miles from the Ocean. - Clear - NorCal
SoCal Coast - Los Angeles: 68F - Downtown LA is only 12 miles the Ocean. - SoCal

Denver: 87F
Palm Springs: 95F
Austin: 95F, heat index
Dallas: 96F, heat index
Phoenix: 103F

Palm Springs is over 100 miles from the SoCal Coast - 95F
Sacramento is over 80 miles from the NorCal Coast - 68F

Last edited by Chimérique; 06-27-2018 at 11:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 11:16 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
Just like you said OP Sacramento will win for me because its in California sorry.

Not even from California, but it really does set an extremely high bar, the only state that makes me settle for less.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:37 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Rate Sacramento vs. Dallas on the following:

1. Economy
2. Scenery
3. Public transportation
4. Universities
5. Downtown
6. Master-planned suburbs
7. Weather
8. Food

I really like Dallas over Sacramento, but I have a feeling that Sacramento will win in a landslide JUST BECAUSE it's in California. Yep, even the least desirable cities in California (Bakersfield, Fresno, Stockton) will win over Houston or Dallas JUST BECAUSE they're in California, doesn't matter how good Houston or Dallas or Atlanta or Phoenix are.

Unfortunately, so many people in California have never been outside California and don't know what the rest of the country has to offer. I bet you more Californians have never been outside of California than Texans who have never been outside of Texas.

All that you have to do is to uproot Dallas and transported it to California.

Then I Choose DALLAS CALIFORNIA.....

Old 06-29-2018, 08:24 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
All that you have to do is to uproot Dallas and transported it to California.

Then I Choose DALLAS CALIFORNIA.....
We may be Cali soon. Getting enough people from out there. I love Dallas, but if the cost of living was the same in Cali, I'd be out there. I just can't justify that living expense, so I'm happy here in Dallas.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:37 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Ice storms happens about 70% of the time during each winter season. On average we see about 1 or 2 major winter weather events in Dallas. When we do get ice storms, they are no joke. I’ve seen tree branches snap right in front of me during ice storms, causing power outages. It’s not fun driving on black ice at all.

The crazy thing is that the temps could literally be in the upper 70s to the low 80s the day before. A major cold front plummets temps into the teens and twenties with ice behind it. The wind behind the front is usually very strong, making it feel like the single digits and some isolated locations below zero. A couple of days later, it’s warm again with sunshine. It truly can be a weather whiplash....
Well they certainly didn't happen in 2015-2016, 2016-1017 winter season. Anyway, considering how brutal the summers are... describing an uncommon ice storm as a major negative for Texas is akin to me describing 100 degree weather as a major negative for Minnesota. Btw I have seen two 100 degree days in the Twin Cities this year, two more than I have seen ice storms in Dallas-Fort Worth. And I know y'all didn't get any this winter either cuz I got friends down there so I keep tabs on the weather and the only winter event this season was snow flurries.

Dallas winters are a joke.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:39 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
We got nothing last year. It just depends on the weather patterns from year to year.
I do feel like people exaggerate the freezing cold that can hit this area periodically.
It's always from people who I assume have never been to the Midwest or Northeast in winter and have never felt sub zero temps. It gets hotter in Minnesota for longer than it gets cold in Texas let alone ice or snow. Winter feels more like a series of events down there than a full season like it does here.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:43 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
I've lived in both (actually in Davis near Sacramento) so here are my impressions:

Neither place is a cakewalk if hot summers aren't your thing, but Sacramento summers are a bit more bearable due to the lower humidity and how it cools down at night. Keep in mind that although Dallas is more humid, the 100+ days there tend to happen more during times of low humidity so they're not too much different than the 100+ days in Sacramento (where it may stay in the 60s or even 70s overnight.)

Winters aren't too much different and though snow is a low probability event in both places, it's a little more common in Dallas. Average winter temps in both places are similar though Dallas has a larger range (hence the slightly higher likelihood for snow but also for 80+ sunny weather.)

Dallas has more to do in town while Sacramento has more to do outside of town (like mountains, wineries, San Francisco, etc.)

If you love to travel, the DFW airport is so much better compared to SAC, with more direct flights to major cities including international ones. DFW is roughly midway between the East and West coasts and the relatively mild winters there (but harsher than Sacramento's) will likely keep it open on most days. Even if you travel to Asia frequently, I think DFW still provides more direct flights since you may need to transfer at LAX if you fly out of SAC.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:10 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Maybe people in CA don't feel the need to escape.

I don't see a real question in your OP. Seems like more of a rant against CA.

Texas is okay. I like most Texans I meet. I don't like scorpions or humidity, though. It's a decent place to visit. But, no, I'd rather stay in CA, thank you.

One think Dallas and Sacramento do have in common is traffic, though.
I think he's a Californian infatuated with Texas. Not sure he's ever been to Texas though.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:39 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I've lived in both (actually in Davis near Sacramento) so here are my impressions:

Neither place is a cakewalk if hot summers aren't your thing, but Sacramento summers are a bit more bearable due to the lower humidity and how it cools down at night. Keep in mind that although Dallas is more humid, the 100+ days there tend to happen more during times of low humidity so they're not too much different than the 100+ days in Sacramento (where it may stay in the 60s or even 70s overnight.)

Winters aren't too much different and though snow is a low probability event in both places, it's a little more common in Dallas. Average winter temps in both places are similar though Dallas has a larger range (hence the slightly higher likelihood for snow but also for 80+ sunny weather.)

Dallas has more to do in town while Sacramento has more to do outside of town (like mountains, wineries, San Francisco, etc.)

If you love to travel, the DFW airport is so much better compared to SAC, with more direct flights to major cities including international ones. DFW is roughly midway between the East and West coasts and the relatively mild winters there (but harsher than Sacramento's) will likely keep it open on most days. Even if you travel to Asia frequently, I think DFW still provides more direct flights since you may need to transfer at LAX if you fly out of SAC.
Just an annoying statement people make that I have to clarify. Snow is a LOT more common in Dallas than Sacramento. It hasn't snowed in Sacramento in a decade and the last time it did, it was only a trace amount. I don't know where this perception comes from that snow in Sacramento is a normal occurence, but we really need to quit batting around that lie on this website...

Old 08-03-2019, 07:06 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
July 2016 - Summer

How many 100F Heat Index Days?

Phoenix - 28 Days - heat index

Austin - 26 Days - heat index

Dallas - 26 Days - heat index

Sacramento - 3 Days - heat index

+1 spot on......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.