Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 05:21 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,865,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
In the Civil war California was Union though and invaded Arizona and New Mexico.
I specifically said south as in the southern portion of the country vs. the northern portion. I purposely did not say California was in the Confederacy or even come close to comparing it. The legacy of the Confederacy is why there are lingering discussions about southern life vs. northern life and why most everything west of Texas doesn't relate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 09:39 PM

1,094 posts, read 810,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I specifically said south as in the southern portion of the country vs. the northern portion. I purposely did not say California was in the Confederacy or even come close to comparing it. The legacy of the Confederacy is why there are lingering discussions about southern life vs. northern life and why most everything west of Texas doesn't relate.
This is so true, one you hit the Mountian States it's just pure western from there.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:47 PM

1,094 posts, read 810,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfiveseven View Post
Good post and I agree. Do you think that after a few more generations the animosity will finally die? I think so. I've notice a lot of positive difference since the 80's & 90's.

On a bad note I have noticed on this board a lot of snarky comments from West Coasters towards the South which is weird. I think outside of someone with a lot of interest in politics that most Southerners are neutral to West Coasters so I don't know where their side of hate is coming from?
Most Southerners don't think about West coasters since it's so isolated from the southeast. I think the reason why West Coasters would make fun of the South is that of the conservative politics and humidity, and the South would hate on the West for being too liberal. I don't think the west wouldn't really care about the South too much unless they met someone from the south since southern culture doesn't really extend further west of Texas while northern culture extended well past the Mississippi after the Mississippi after the civil war since most Northerners were tired of industrial life in the Midwest. Southerners didn't have any means going further west after the battle with Mexico. I know some Southern states might get into some East Coast vs West Coast debates with Californians since much of the South is apart of the Eastern seaboard

Old 08-08-2018, 12:21 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
i'll simplify for you as best i can...you derisively mock another region's speech patterns yet you seem to be completely oblivious as to how utterly dreadful and ridiculous a minnesooooooota accent sounds to the rest of the country. do you understand now?
I really don't think most people have opinions about Upper Midwestern accents one way or another because most Americans simply aren't exposed to them on a routine basis. It's fairly rare you run into someone who has a noticeable accent in Minnesota. And those who do sound nothing like the characters from movies like Drop Dead Gorgeous or Fargo.

But sure, I understand that you're overly sensitive, yes. I see that.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:59 AM

3 posts, read 2,211 times
Waahington DC is basically viewed as an extension of the North East powerhouse. Same reason why you would say Australia is a Western country despite being in the East geographically.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I really don't think most people have opinions about Upper Midwestern accents one way or another because most Americans simply aren't exposed to them on a routine basis. It's fairly rare you run into someone who has a noticeable accent in Minnesota. And those who do sound nothing like the characters from movies like Drop Dead Gorgeous or Fargo.

But sure, I understand that you're overly sensitive, yes. I see that.
I used to be a corporate trainer and I traveled all over the US teaching, spending usually at least three days and sometimes a week in different states, including Minnesota.

I can PROMISE you that every region has "noticeable accents." Including Minnesota. But yes, I do agree with you that most Americans aren't running into many Minnesotan accents on a regular basis, since frankly not much of the US population even lives in Minnesota. Minnesota comprises less than 2 percent of the overall population of the US.

So most Americans probably wouldn't recognize a Minnesotan accent for what it is - they'd just think "That person's not from around here" if they heard someone from Minnesota talking outside Minnesota.

But that's a normal enough state of mind. There are all sorts of Southern accents as well, and someone who isn't from the south might not be able to tell the difference between an accent from South Carolina and an accent from Arkansas.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:32 AM

12,844 posts, read 9,578,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goforif View Post
Waahington DC is basically viewed as an extension of the North East powerhouse. Same reason why you would say Australia is a Western country despite being in the East geographically.
Right on. It's the BoWash corridor, not the BoPhil corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.