Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 06:36 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Maybe lots of Americans make informed decisions and choose where they prefer living with no regrets.

Personally I don't care for small towns. I don't care for rural living. I don't care for urban centers. I don't care for suburbs within big cities. I know what I like - a mid size metro area, life in the suburbs, within 2 hours or so of a major metro area. This is an informed decision, not some idealistic "what I want when I grow up" thing.
Their decisions are certainly swayed by what sort of big city or rural options are available in their area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 07:17 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Their decisions are certainly swayed by what sort of big city or rural options are available in their area.
Yep that's true world wide. That's true of the human race. What's your point?

Old 09-13-2018, 08:23 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
Maybe if American cities were better designed (for people rather than cars), then perhaps they'd be less anti-city?

I'm not so sure. Many (most?) Americans love their cars a much as they hate cities.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:39 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,279,718 times
Quote:
Maybe lots of Americans make informed decisions and choose where they prefer living with no regrets.

Personally I don't care for small towns. I don't care for rural living. I don't care for urban centers. I don't care for suburbs within big cities. I know what I like - a mid size metro area, life in the suburbs, within 2 hours or so of a major metro area. This is an informed decision, not some idealistic "what I want when I grow up" thing.

Agreed about the informed decision making.

But I am curios, what is the difference between a suburb of a big city and a suburb of a mid size metro 2 hours from a major metro? I'm just asking because I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

For example I envision a suburb in let's say Waco and compare it to a suburb in Austin or Dallas and I'm not sure I see the big difference.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:42 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
There's a huge urban renaissance in the United States, but most urban public school systems haven't improved enough in that time for most families to want to leave the suburbs for the cities. Plus rents are too high for too little space in most cities when you have a family. Most of the urban/downtown repopulation has come from singles and retirees/empty-nesters.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
Agreed about the informed decision making.

But I am curios, what is the difference between a suburb of a big city and a suburb of a mid size metro 2 hours from a major metro? I'm just asking because I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

For example I envision a suburb in let's say Waco and compare it to a suburb in Austin or Dallas and I'm not sure I see the big difference.
Oh, the biggest differences in general are going to be lot size and traffic patterns. I personally prefer a larger lot, which is more affordable outside of huge metro areas. Oh, and PRICE.

I'll give you a real life example. I live outside of Tyler, TX which is a metro area with a population of about 200k. I live an hour and a half outside of the Dallas metro area, which has a population of over 7 million. Tyler is about a fifteen minute drive for me, and the very small town I live in is really just a bedroom community of Tyler - everyone I've ever met who lives here works in Tyler and hardly ANYONE is a native of Tyler and many people aren't even natives of Texas (myself included).

My husband and I own a very comfortable, spacious home in a quiet neighborhood, on about an acre of land that's filled with trees, with a natural creek across the street. In the Tyler area (which is a very nice area with lots of amenities) this home and lot is about HALF the price it would be in a major metro area like Dallas, if I could even find such a place there. And I don't have to deal with the congestion and traffic just outside my neighborhood, like I'd deal with if I lived in the Dallas area.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:04 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
There's a huge urban renaissance in the United States, but most urban public school systems haven't improved enough in that time for most families to want to leave the suburbs for the cities. Plus rents are too high for too little space in most cities when you have a family. Most of the urban/downtown repopulation has come from singles and retirees/empty-nesters.
This is true in our case. I would be living in urban Milwaukee right now if it wasn't for the atrocious school system. We did the next best thing and bought in the urban/suburb adjacent to the city and a short bike ride from downtown but with excellent schools.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:20 AM

93,266 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Good point about schools and unless there is some incentive like the Kalamazoo Promise, Say Yes to Education(Syracuse, Buffalo, Greensboro, Cambridge MA, etc.) or go/get into a private/charter/magnet option, it can keep some people that would live in a city from living there.

As mentioned, then you may also have suburban options with at least solid schools that offer similar amenities or are almost like extensions of the city proper that make it tougher to go with the city.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:34 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,279,718 times
Quote:
Oh, the biggest differences in general are going to be lot size and traffic patterns. I personally prefer a larger lot, which is more affordable outside of huge metro areas. Oh, and PRICE.

I'll give you a real life example. I live outside of Tyler, TX which is a metro area with a population of about 200k. I live an hour and a half outside of the Dallas metro area, which has a population of over 7 million. Tyler is about a fifteen minute drive for me, and the very small town I live in is really just a bedroom community of Tyler - everyone I've ever met who lives here works in Tyler and hardly ANYONE is a native of Tyler and many people aren't even natives of Texas (myself included).

My husband and I own a very comfortable, spacious home in a quiet neighborhood, on about an acre of land that's filled with trees, with a natural creek across the street. In the Tyler area (which is a very nice area with lots of amenities) this home and lot is about HALF the price it would be in a major metro area like Dallas, if I could even find such a place there. And I don't have to deal with the congestion and traffic just outside my neighborhood, like I'd deal with if I lived in the Dallas area.

Gotcha.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:28 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I feel like that sentiment is a holdover from the white flight era.
What about the subsequent and current black flight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.