Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 11:11 AM

7 posts, read 6,088 times

Advertisements

In most places in the world people want to live in cities because of economic opportunities and governments invest heavily in them. There has been an urban revival in the US, but even in the most popular cities there is large contingency of people that are anti density, anti public transit, prefer to live in the suburbs, believe cities are not great for families, etc. It's a real shame because the US had great public transportation systems and great cities. Will we continue to see the urban revival we are seeing now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 11:12 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras_elcity View Post
In most places in the world people want to live in cities because of economic opportunities and governments invest heavily in them. There has been an urban revival in the US, but even in the most popular cities there is large contingency of people that are anti density, anti public transit, prefer to live in the suburbs, believe cities are not great for families, etc. It's a real shame because the US had great public transportation systems and great cities. Will we continue to see the urban revival we are seeing now?
I feel like that sentiment is a holdover from the white flight era.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:31 AM

3,727 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I feel like that sentiment is a holdover from the white flight era.
Yeah.. bad public school systems, high crime, political structures devoid of White citizens, etc. A lot of American cities are unattractive to White families. White gentrification is different, bcuz childless Caucasian millennials aren't concerned with schools.. so they're repopulating American' city limits. But White families are more comfortable in the 'burbs. And honestly I think families of all races, with middle class means, prefer suburban school districts..

I think the 'urban revival' is flimsy, & short-term bcuz the millennial yuppies aren't having kids, so the 'revival' won't sustain itself. Time will tell tho..

Old 09-02-2018, 11:33 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
I think its likely because of the American view on individualism rather then any economical or other social reason.

I'm not anti-city, but I don't prefer to live in cities. I live in a ruralish area about 10 minutes from a city and about 1 hour from a real metro. I've lived in cities in the US, China, and in Italy, and there is nothing wrong with cities, but I like the peace and quiet of rural life. I work a lot, and when business is done, I need a retreat away from people.

On the other hand, I would prefer to live in the city rather then a suburb. I have an apartment in a city in China, and its okay, but again, sometimes one wants to get away from it all.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:41 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Crime is a major hindrance to re-populating many inner cities.

That and when an area recovers, builds back up, and crime drops white people are accused of doing something malicious like "gentrifying" out the black folks! Gentrification is not necessarily a bad thing, I don't understand the hatred for it.

So it's a social lose-lose for middle and upper class whites to move back into depressed areas that are mainly black or otherwise.

If things stay bad, it's white people's fault. If things get better but the jobless drug addicts/dealers can't join the party, it's white people's fault. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, so why bother.

I wish the cities would take everybody back though. They're ruining my rural.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post

That and when an area recovers, builds back up, and crime drops white people are accused of doing something malicious like "gentrifying" out the black folks! Gentrification is not even a bad thing, I don't understand the hatred for it.

So it's a social lose-lose for middle and upper class whites to move back into depressed areas that are mainly black or otherwise.

If things stay bad, it's white people's fault. If things get better but the jobless drug addicts/dealers can't join the party, it's white people's fault. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, so why bother.

A lot of the higher crime areas in my general area (let's say 30 mile radius) are suburban. I would rather live in a high crime NYC neighborhood than high crime Nassau or Suffolk County neighborhood.

I agree the catch 22 is silly, though. The idea that white people aren't "allowed" to move to certain places is ridiculous.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:47 AM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post

That and when an area recovers, builds back up, and crime drops white people are accused of doing something malicious like "gentrifying" out the black folks! Gentrification is not necessarily a bad thing, I don't understand the hatred for it.

The issue is more about long time residents have fought for services and investment in those neighborhoods, that suddenly appear once those that gentrify come in. So, it makes those residents and others wonder/know why that is the case.

This doesn’t even get into the aspect of assuming urban and people of color has to equal high crime, instead of looking at the complexities within the city and groups of people.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Yeah.. bad public school systems, high crime, political structures devoid of White citizens, etc. A lot of American cities are unattractive to White families. White gentrification is different, bcuz childless Caucasian millennials aren't concerned with schools.. so they're repopulating American' city limits. But White families are more comfortable in the 'burbs. And honestly I think families of all races, with middle class means, prefer suburban school districts..

I think the 'urban revival' is flimsy, & short-term bcuz the millennial yuppies aren't having kids, so the 'revival' won't sustain itself. Time will tell tho..
Well I think there are always going to be people who prefer urban areas and people who prefer suburban areas, racial aspects aside. The difference is that now many younger (as in 40 and under) white people realize that living in an urban, mostly nonwhite neighborhood is not necessarily a bad thing.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:48 AM

1,234 posts, read 941,091 times
Alot of Americans think there's only hamlets and concrete jungles and nothing that's in-between the two in size exists.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The issue is more about long time residents have fought for services and investment in those neighborhoods, that suddenly appear once those that gentrify come in. So, it makes those residents and others wonder/know why that is the case.
What are the services and investment you speak of? If it's something like new, interesting businesses then that's just capitalism at work rather than the city government stepping in helping white people out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.