Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 06:54 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
The high rises are gone but their residents have not somehow vanished in thin air. By looking at crime statistics, they've been enriching South and West Chicago with their presence.
I was going to say in my post - I expect drro next. When Chicago crime or gangs is in a post.
Like the -- 4th time you used this 90s Carbrini YouTube video (I assume its the same one and not checking).

As for the residents ..... just disappeared? They were turned into solvent green protein food. like in that Charleston Heston very 70s dated movie of the future.... Yep they were recycled.

Honestly, you from Germany really have a fetish for Carbrini especially and American blight, ghettos to industrial abandonment to enjoy viewing YouTube to street-views.

But the reality is..... no one just disappeared. Unless for some reason they wanted to. What was to be ALL these high-rise Projects ( a few Southside Chi and this one North side). Were to be demolished over like a 10-year period. Instead it was like over 20-years. Took longer to relocate residents to those who fought ther removal as some did not want to go after decades living there. Especially the oldest ones. So yeah..... they just disappeared..... but many did find their own places if not relocated and left no forwarding addresses. to some wanting to just disappear for ther own reasons.

These Chicago notorious failed -Great Society plan for low-income housing. Was fine at first as Carbrini dates back as town-housing to the 40s in what was the Italian Ghetto then. But once High-rises wet added into the 60s. It was not a good idea.

Posted this all before. Maybe we will finally have you post the last of these 90s early 2000s videos here, and bringing it into threads, as they are very gone today. But you certainly can collect and enjoy the videos.

Of course this thread are on cities that might get trashed today. It isn't by the Projects gone for decades to this last one a decade ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 02:19 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I was going to say in my post - I expect drro next. When Chicago crime or gangs is in a post.

These Chicago notorious failed -Great Society plan for low-income housing. Was fine at first as Carbrini dates back as town-housing to the 40s in what was the Italian Ghetto then. But once High-rises wet added into the 60s. It was not a good idea.

Of course this thread are on cities that might get trashed today. It isn't by the Projects gone for decades to this last one a decade ago.
Hey Dave buddy, would you mind stop calling me German? Cities get criticized for their reputation and Cabrini Green, although the high rises are gone, has certainly contributed to Chicago's reputation. Or perhaps notoriety is a better word. The 4th of July weekends alone are enough to keep this reputation. I believe even today the Cabrini Green spirit is still very much alive in West and South Chicago.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:18 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
Quote:
Hey Dave buddy, would you mind stop calling me German? Cities get criticized for their reputation and Cabrini Green, although the high rises are gone, has certainly contributed to Chicago's reputation. Or perhaps notoriety is a better word. The 4th of July weekends alone are enough to keep this reputation. I believe even today the Cabrini Green spirit is still very much alive in West and South Chicago.
You can dwell all you want on Cabrini Green. I lived in Chicago for years, and, personally, never knew anyone impacted by crime. Fortunately, most people seem to grasp that Chicago is pretty amazing, no matter how hard you try to bring it down. Crime is a problem, but it's mostly (and you know this, if you read), criminal on criminal. Not always, but very much, for the most part. If you took those numbers away, the crime rate would go down drastically. Hasn't stopped anyone I know, from moving there.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
I posted -- you being from Germany..... not use German. If are not European, in Germany or Germany? You clearly can and should say so. I go by you own ID that use to have Germany in the location for ALL to see... right. I asked before as to why you removed it? Does noting you are in Germany become offensive?

You being US crime, ghettos, industrial abandoned regions. Even in the Canadian forums. They do not care for its interjection there for sure, or to call ther cities that they admit have increased in crime. Ther AMERICANIZATION. So please do not call negative things even in Canada..... Americanization.

Hey buddy generally is a bit derogatory if one does not clearly see each other as friends and on C-D in agreement on things.

As i said, you interjected Cabrini many times in threads and your favorite YouTube video (it seems) like the 4th time. Apparently to say these High-rise Projects are gone and for a reason of ther failure. Keeps the Spirit alive for YOU mostly by far.

From Earlier European ethnicity gangs and former ghettos. Thru the notorious Capone mafia era and African-American gangs sadly today. Plenty of gang history to enjoy. Also you may like the movie --"Gangs of New York" in its earlier history.

But i guess all i should note is just to say as others ..... Cabrini Green and other formally notorious housing Projects of Chicago are gone. Cabrini the last to go as any more is too much detail though true.

As on-topic -- Chicago gets trashed mostly for political reasons then even crime I'd say. It has been able to overcome the scourge of its gangland hood crime more then not. But certainly no help. Sadly many US cities have ther own crime issues as you know.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:37 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Most of the discussion here is totally subjective (city vs city discussion) but at the end of the day, we have to ask ourselves a simple question:

Are some cities just plain better than others?

Depends on what you mean. Haven't you heard the phrase, "It's a nice place to visit, but I sure wouldn't want to live there"?

That's because it's possible for a city to have a spectacular setting, cultural amenities out the wazoo, and a host of other assets, yet be a city in which it's hellish to live.

For example, a city might have a first-rate culinary scene or stellar arts. But for your average family of four just trying to hold down jobs and raise children, it could be meaningless if those attractions are out of reach or simply not part of their everyday lives.

I'll pick on California here a little. Gorgeous state. No question about it. Love to visit. Lots to do. But California is also a place where the middle class is fleeing in droves. Demographers talk all the time about the hollowing out of the middle class, chiefly because the state has become so unaffordable.

It's a great place to live if you're a coder at Google or Apple. Not so great if you're a school teacher, as one example. When, according to a recent survey, 85% of all homes in California are off-limits to someone earning a teacher's salary, then all those chi-chi cultural attractions are kind of pointless.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Depends on what you mean. Haven't you heard the phrase, "It's a nice place to visit, but I sure wouldn't want to live there"?

That's because it's possible for a city to have a spectacular setting, cultural amenities out the wazoo, and a host of other assets, yet be a city in which it's hellish to live.

For example, a city might have a first-rate culinary scene or stellar arts. But for your average family of four just trying to hold down jobs and raise children, it could be meaningless if those attractions are out of reach or simply not part of their everyday lives.

I'll pick on California here a little. Gorgeous state. No question about it. Love to visit. Lots to do. But California is also a place where the middle class is fleeing in droves. Demographers talk all the time about the hollowing out of the middle class, chiefly because the state has become so unaffordable.

It's a great place to live if you're a coder at Google or Apple. Not so great if you're a school teacher, as one example. When, according to a recent survey, 85% of all homes in California are off-limits to someone earning a teacher's salary, then all those chi-chi cultural attractions are kind of pointless.
Can clearly be true. Too much of a good thing like weather. Boost demand. Sadly, the middle-class squeeze is more Nationwide then not. Worst in some markets and high-demand cities.

But still the still-working middle-class. End up by far. Going to regions that Corporate America and jobs for them are steering. Also less likely to move to a more true winter locale ..... if given the chance. My area is cheap to live. Extremely cheaper old-stock row-housing small cities that saw better days and nice suburban areas in townships and between small cities. Even a Teachers salary is good here. But Corporate America is steering no one here. Most come back in retirement to lowest-class welfare people from the large cities.

I can walk in my hometowns downtown and few locals walking there anymore. Definately more diverse. But diverse as in more poorer un-working folk with blemished histories that can prevent hiring or overlooked.

So its unfortunate extremes prevail more then not in divisions in regions to within major cities.

Last edited by DavePa; 10-26-2018 at 08:05 AM..

Old 10-27-2018, 02:25 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
This you tube channel will show you the worst of the worst, this guy has been all over and has filmed a lot of cities.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CharlieBo313
I've seen a few of his videos. There are several clips about Philly, and they show a lot of despair..

Old 10-28-2018, 02:21 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Austin gets trashed. Check out any city vs city thread they are in and you will see people hate Austin with a passion.
I don't see Austin get a lot of hate even on CD. And, they get a lot of love outside of CD by the national media as well as social media it seems like it's always touted as one of the places to be. Now, my city Cleveland gets love but more hate, on CD and outside of CD.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 10-28-2018 at 02:36 PM..

Old 10-28-2018, 02:32 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,865,667 times
There's a big difference between hate (emotional) and a more reasoned dislike of a place or attributes of a place.

I don't hate any city. I might sorta dislike some places. Mostly I just dislike aspects of places, even if I root for that city to get better.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:44 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
There's a big difference between hate (emotional) and a more reasoned dislike of a place or attributes of a place.

I don't hate any city. I might sorta dislike some places. Mostly I just dislike aspects of places, even if I root for that city to get better.
I was using hate as a figure of speech. But, I've read people spit some much venom at certain cities whether they've visited them or not. It's as if that city did something to them personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.