Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 01:13 PM

467 posts, read 428,243 times

Advertisements

Do you think Southerners, on average, have more pride in their home state? Are they more likely to display symbols of state pride such as their state flag? What about articles of clothing? From my experiences in N.C., state pride is a pretty big thing. What about elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 01:26 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
No other state anywhere tops Texas, but SC does pretty well on this front. The palmetto tree and crescent moon makes for a pretty cool logo/symbol.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:54 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,091,562 times
I think Southern and Western states both tend to have a lot more state pride than Midwestern and Northeastern states,

Old 11-24-2018, 05:44 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
I think Texas is the state with the most state pride.I am very proud to be a Texan.My family member is very proud to be from Arkansas though.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:57 PM

8,868 posts, read 6,874,754 times
In the West Coast states, my impression is we have tons of pride, based on our typical opinion that we're successful in a lot of ways...economies, transit, social issues, funding services, protecting natural areas, and so on. But we're not flag wavers.

Of course we have plenty of examples of going overboard in some areas, we have plenty of faults (often related to being expensive), and we're even backwards in others...for example Washington has a regressive tax structure. And obviously that pride is lower among people who don't like the things the electorate likes.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:32 PM

811 posts, read 889,584 times
Yes, I do think that Southerners have more State Pride.
For example, I am from Ohio, where yes, we do have State pride but you will rarely see the State flag or state shape on cars, in offices, etc.

A few years ago, I had moved to Kentucky and they are a prideful State with not only the love of the University of Kentucky wildcats but also their bourbon heritage and equine culture. Driving around Kentucky one can see many decals of the shape of Kentucky, UK plate holders, etc. it’s quite prideful.

Recently I moved further South to Middle Tennessee and everything is plastered in TriStar and The State flag. I also see many other States represented around Nashville and almost all of them are Southern states, so yes, based upon my anecdotal evidence, Southemrrs seem to show a lot of pride for their home state.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:51 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Of all the states I've lived in, Iowa was the most prideful.

Florida was prideful too, but I discount that, as most of its biggest boosters are the sunshine addicts who moved there from "up North". FL natives i knew were more circumspect about their state.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:55 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,615 times
From my limited experience, Californians and Texans seem to have the most state pride.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:33 PM

89 posts, read 66,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Yes, I do think that Southerners have more State Pride.
For example, I am from Ohio, where yes, we do have State pride but you will rarely see the State flag or state shape on cars, in offices, etc.
I feel like the rust belt states have the least pride in their states. Having lived in Ohio, seems like most people were down on their state and ready to move out asap. It left me with a general depressing feeling about the Midwest and Ohio in particular.

It also depends on which state. The states that have more unique cultures definitely will have more pride (TX, LA, GA, FL) including those in other regions. Maybe that's why the Midwest has no pride, because many of the states can seem generic and don't have a defined culture.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:08 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
I agree with this observation. The South probably the state pride. I think NJ has some degree of state pride, but we're also deeply connected Philadelphia in the south and New York in the north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.