Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2019, 06:09 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
I know a lot former NY residents that moved South (retired, relocated, etc.) come back up here to visit friends, family, hometown, etc. in the summer to take advantage of the mild summer temps. Especially the Finger Lakes and Adirondacks.
Sounds like snow birds; migrants on SS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 10:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Well, for weeks now it's been colder in east Texas than it has been for my daughter and her family in Germany. So yeah, I'm not going anywhere seeking cooler weather. Now, I might go to Germany to warm up! Which is a weird state of affairs.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:57 AM

26,420 posts, read 46,591,155 times
I go to the UP of Michigan for my snow fix, a short 10 hour drive away. Marquette has 51 inches of snow depth presently. The Upper Midwest often has low temperatures far colder than Scandinavia and western Russia in the winter. The irony is many residents of the western UP around Houghton have Finnish ancestry, and they moved to the new world at around 15 degrees further south in latitude to find a somewhat similar climate- if not colder and snowier, however, warmer than Finland during the summer months.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:04 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
In Texas they go to places like Cloudcroft, Ruidoso, Angel Fire, Red River, all in New Mexico.

Nice and cool all year round.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:10 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I go to the UP of Michigan for my snow fix, a short 10 hour drive away. Marquette has 51 inches of snow depth presently. The Upper Midwest often has low temperatures far colder than Scandinavia and western Russia in the winter. The irony is many residents of the western UP around Houghton have Finnish ancestry, and they moved to the new world at around 15 degrees further south in latitude to find a somewhat similar climate- if not colder and snowier, however, warmer than Finland during the summer months.
So you consider yourself a Southerner? Aren't you in IN?

Old 03-06-2019, 06:27 AM

Well, I would have loved to escape the cold the last few days but alas, I had things to do, places to go, and people to see, right here in the south. So I just bundled up instead. Dang it, it's been cold! I'm ready for spring!

Old 03-06-2019, 06:59 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
I take photography vacations in the Spring (end of April, beginning of May) and Fall (Halloween week). I'm not running from weather. I'm running from vacationing families. Also my Spring vacations are timed to migratory bird patterns. Summer is my least favorite season and always has been. I stay indoors more in the summer than any other season. I do want to say that even when I lived in Maryland and New York (live in TN now), I took Spring and Fall vacations.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:16 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I take photography vacations in the Spring (end of April, beginning of May) and Fall (Halloween week). I'm not running from weather. I'm running from vacationing families. Also my Spring vacations are timed to migratory bird patterns. Summer is my least favorite season and always has been. I stay indoors more in the summer than any other season. I do want to say that even when I lived in Maryland and New York (live in TN now), I took Spring and Fall vacations.
Summer is my least favorite season, as well. Fortunately, it lasts about half as long in Philly as it did in Houston.

Old 03-08-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Summer is my least favorite season, as well. Fortunately, it lasts about half as long in Philly as it did in Houston.
LOL winter is my least favorite season and fortunately it lasts about half as long in Houston (if that) as it does in Philly.

See how that plays out?

Old 03-10-2019, 10:21 AM

26,420 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
So you consider yourself a Southerner? Aren't you in IN?
I don’t consider myself a southerner, but I live practically in the South in southern Indiana. I go north for my snow fix in winter because all that seems to occur here most of the time is rain, mud, and flooding in winter!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.