Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 01:19 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,400,870 times

Advertisements

nobody wants to jump in and argue about Worcester MA vs Springfield MA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 02:05 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Agree. Tampa is the afterthought.

Will say it's not San Antonio either. It has Seaworld, Fiesta Texas, a very distinct skyline, and a Hispanic culture. Dallas and Houston to me, while more prosperous, tend to be looked upon as generic sun belt cities.
As a non-Texan, to me it does seem as though San Antonio is overshadowed, not only by Houston and Dallas which get more coverage due to their sheer size and importance, but also by Austin due to the tech economy and its status as a top "cool city." San Antonio may be more distinct than either but outside of sports, it seems that it's only mentioned in connection with the military presence or the Alamo. Unfortunately, I think a big reason its overlooked is due to demographics. It's growing quite fast like the other Texas metros but isn't really popular with college grads and career professionals, and that's due to it not having a particularly dynamic local economy. It's not really a destination for corporate HQ relocations and it's not known for innovation. It seems that, to one degree or another (with the possible exception of San Diego), this is something that cities with a big military presence struggle with.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:24 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,220,049 times
Easily San Diego (by LA and SF Bay) and San Antonio (by Austin)...

Old 02-21-2019, 03:41 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
nobody wants to jump in and argue about Worcester MA vs Springfield MA.
You need to be of a certain size for anyone to know anything about a city. What people might know about Worcester might be Holy Cross and Springfield the Basketball HOF but that’s about it.

You would not get an informed discussion on a national forum.

Also Columbus is debatably not the #3 metro in Ohio.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:41 PM

724 posts, read 561,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
Greensboro and Winston-Salem? two different cities.
They're in the same metro area. I didn't ask about specific cities but metro areas.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:51 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
With Ohio and North Carolina, the cities are all most bunched together in the national consciousness even though there's a clear 1, 2, 3 order to them.
Say what again...about Ohio? Depending upon just whom you ask, there are eighteen possible ways the state's "3-Cs" might be ranked.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:15 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
For all intents and purposes, Ohio's 3-C's are interchangeable. If anything, Columbus is getting more attention than Cleveland or Cincinnati lately.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:55 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,043,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
For all intents and purposes, Ohio's 3-C's are interchangeable. If anything, Columbus is getting more attention than Cleveland or Cincinnati lately.
1. Cleveland
2. Cincinnati
3. Columbus

You can't do the comparison based on city proper population unless you also want to say that Columbus outranks Boston, MA. You could make an argument that Columbus > Cleveland based on MSA but that's really not fair since Akron, 35 miles from Cleveland via 10 lanes of highway, is really part of Cleveland's metro area (CSA) just like Dallas and Ft. Worth. Any other metric and Cleveland easily wins the #1 spot here.

So in the case of Ohio, yes Columbus is the overlooked third. I heard they're growing though.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:14 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
They're in the same metro area. I didn't ask about specific cities but metro areas.
They used to be in a single MSA but since 2003 (I believe) the MSA became a CSA and Winston-Salem and Greensboro/High Point became separate MSAs. Greensboro is the third largest MSA in the state and Winston-Salem is fourth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
1. Cleveland
2. Cincinnati
3. Columbus

You can't do the comparison based on city proper population unless you also want to say that Columbus outranks Boston, MA. You could make an argument that Columbus > Cleveland based on MSA but that's really not fair since Akron, 35 miles from Cleveland via 10 lanes of highway, is really part of Cleveland's metro area (CSA) just like Dallas and Ft. Worth. Any other metric and Cleveland easily wins the #1 spot here.

So in the case of Ohio, yes Columbus is the overlooked third. I heard they're growing though.
According to the latest estimates, Columbus is the second-largest metro and Cleveland is third. Whatever the order, I think the three-Cs are generally recognized as being peers of each other these days with none truly being overshadowed. Even if Columbus was third-largest, it certainly wouldn't be overshadowed as it is often touted as one of the more growing and thriving cities of the Midwest today in contrast to its Rustbelt counterparts.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:48 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I couldn't tell you a single thing about Greensboro or Winston-Salem - I think that area's gotta be pretty overshadowed.
It is. It doesn't have all the cultural amenities and business opportunities that Charlotte and the Triangle have and it's not on the coast like Wilmington or in the Mountains like Asheville.

That said, it does pretty well for itself and is a moderately growing area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.