Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 06:49 PM

36,699 posts, read 67,735,576 times

Advertisements

This interactive map gives you an idea...

https://fitzlab.shinyapps.io/cityapp/

SF will feel like Palos Verdes Estates. I dont want that at all. I love our weather as is, especially the summers.

Although SoCal winters are to die for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 06:55 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,309,438 times
Toronto will feel like NYC does now ....or maybe like Cincinnati...

Old 02-22-2019, 07:10 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,101,665 times
I found this before and had difficulty believing it. So, somehow, Dallas becomes like southern Louisiana while Denton and McKinney become like arid portions of Mexico.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:18 PM

8,613 posts, read 14,969,558 times
According to that model, Denver will feel like the armpit of the Texas panhandle - Borger.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:54 PM

481 posts, read 426,199 times
Warmer, but more importantly, government projections show that the Northeast will be dealing with far heavier precipitation with increased flood risk.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:23 PM

10,775 posts, read 23,927,567 times
Burlington, VT will feel like somewhere in the middle of Illinois. That doesn't really alarm me, if it were like Maryland or Virginia, then I'd wonder.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:45 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,108,153 times
Minneapolis in 2080 will climatologically feel like Lansing, Kansas, which means significantly warmer winters with little to no snow.

This is worrisome because it's going to radically change the nature of the ecosystem here. A lot of Minnesota's beautiful North Woods flora and fauna will be too stressed to survive, and invading species from the south will wreak havoc in native landscapes.

A lot of people seem to be of the impression that climate change could be "beneficial" for colder climates, but it's actually going to be devastating.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:34 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,267,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Minneapolis in 2080 will climatologically feel like Lansing, Kansas, which means significantly warmer winters with little to no snow.

This is worrisome because it's going to radically change the nature of the ecosystem here. A lot of Minnesota's beautiful North Woods flora and fauna will be too stressed to survive, and invading species from the south will wreak havoc in native landscapes.

A lot of people seem to be of the impression that climate change could be "beneficial" for colder climates, but it's actually going to be devastating.
I don’t know... it says Lansing Kansas for Chicago too... not sure how much I believe this map.

It also says Phoenix will have a climate similar to a Esperanza, Mexico with “165% wetter summers.” Yet Vegas will be similar to Bullhead City, Arizona just a bit to the south. How does that happen?

Seattle’s climate will allegedly be similar to Salem, Oregon. I’ll take that.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:10 AM

9,491 posts, read 10,859,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post

If climate change is real and it’s more than a short climate blip it will produce winners and losers as all climate events do. The mid evil warm period for example allowed Greenland to be settled by Vikings. The little ice age ended that. Here in Notth America parts of Canada and Alaska that are too harsh for large populations today will likely become more usable.

Here in Tennessee the map suggests we will have a climate similar to the Gulf Coast. Not a huge change, one state to our south the weather is not that different. I can see how upper Midwest states like Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan could have their realities altered far more significantly than some places. If you think about it though those places are not as far north as you think, only 45 degrees north. That is similar to the latitude in Southern Europe. The upper Midwest is far colder today than most places at a similar latitude. What that map is suggesting is that climate change will make their weather more normal for locales at the 45th parallel.

Old 02-23-2019, 05:34 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,876,850 times
I'm not from there, but for Miami it will be...acquatic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.