Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which comes closest to what you believe (Pick one from 1-4 & one from 5-6)
DC/Bal are 2 metros; SF/Oak/SJ, DFW, MSP are each one 29 48.33%
DC/Bal are 2 metros; at least one of Bay, DFW, MSP is not a unified metro 7 11.67%
DC/Bal is one metro area; same for SF/Oak/SJ, DFW, and MSP 13 21.67%
DC/Bal is one metro; at least one of Bay, DFW, MSP is not 0 0%
DC/Bal are more like Chi/Mil, LA/SD than Bay, DFW, MSP 20 33.33%
DC/Bal are more like Bay, DFW, MSP than like Chi/Mil, LA/SD 8 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 10:17 AM

309 posts, read 307,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
People from the Baltimore area don't see us as one big area; its us and them: Baltimore and DC.

I think too many of us city geeks and urban nerds miss this point ENTIRELY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 03:13 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,538,769 times
I guess this comes from having grown up between Raleigh and Durham (another odd-couple CSA pairing of an upstart capitol MSA with an older industrial center turned medical hub MSA), but I just don't see what the big deal is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
The east coast, the east coast of colonial roots, is just plain different.
There are plenty of eastern cities whose metro areas have grown together. Newark is the Passaic's port town, just like New York is the Hudson's, and indeed for 21st century ships Newark is more relevant. But nobody disputes that the two have melded into one economic region.

Old 08-19-2019, 04:11 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,825,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
I guess this comes from having grown up between Raleigh and Durham (another odd-couple CSA pairing of an upstart capitol MSA with an older industrial center turned medical hub MSA), but I just don't see what the big deal is.

There are plenty of eastern cities whose metro areas have grown together. Newark is the Passaic's port town, just like New York is the Hudson's, and indeed for 21st century ships Newark is more relevant. But nobody disputes that the two have melded into one economic region.
As OP, I never would have suggested this was a "big deal". Few things we start threads about are. And MSA's meant nothing as I stated in my original post. I was not interested in what was delineated as any jurisdiction; I only was asking about peoples perceptions as in do you think of Baltimore and Washington as one combined metro area or two separate ones. This thread was never designed to be a big deal or important....just interesting.

of course you are right about eastern cities. Bowash is the only true megalopolis in America. Nothing compares. You may possibly have chosen the worst example though in using New York and Newark. New York and Anyplace could not create a Washington-Baltimore. New York and Anyplace could only produce a New York.

There is no spot in the US where anything even exists like northeast New Jersey and its connection to another state. If a ten minute PATH ride can get me from downtown Newark to lower Manhattan, then you are not going to have two metro areas.

Newark is relatively small (under 300,000) and it shares with the entire state of New Jersey a status that that there is no media centers within our 11th largest state with its 9,000,000 people. The state of New Jersey has only two media centers: New York and Philadelphia. Between the Hudson and the Delaware there are none.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:08 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,416,543 times
Anyone whose been to either city or lives on the east coast knows Baltimore and DC are completely different cities. Only people who spend their times reading about US Census Regions and CSAs would think differently.

Old 08-19-2019, 03:48 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,825,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Anyone whose been to either city or lives on the east coast knows Baltimore and DC are completely different cities. Only people who spend their times reading about US Census Regions and CSAs would think differently.
You erred here; you didn’t add “or those who worship at the alter of C-Dâ€

Old 08-19-2019, 06:47 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Exactly!

Old 08-19-2019, 09:01 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
I don’t think one poster has ever posted anything to the contrary on C-D regarding the cities of DC and Baltimore being separate or different. That ship has sailed. The only points made on this site regarding the two are the fact that while distinct and separate cities, they have merging metros that combine into a larger region. The more egregious act on C-D is those who deny this based on how they “feel”. Otherwise there’s no need to have this discussion over and over, the two distinct metro areas are combined into one at certain metrics. This is not changing soon and they’re not “uncombining” as a region in our lifetimes so what else is there to talk about?

Old 08-19-2019, 09:16 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Just make note of where the posters are from who say "we're one region"

Old 08-19-2019, 09:27 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Just make note of where the posters are from who say "we're one region"
There's only one poster who's making that point and he's not wrong when you keep his statement in context. You obviously think more is required to be considered a singular region than being a CSA, which I understand as well. But the two MSAs are obviously growing towards each other and if you don't consider it all one region now, it won't be long before it will be by just about all recognizable measures.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:09 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There's only one poster who's making that point and he's not wrong when you keep his statement in context. You obviously think more is required to be considered a singular region than being a CSA, which I understand as well. But the two MSAs are obviously growing towards each other and if you don't consider it all one region now, it won't be long before it will be by just about all recognizable measures.
exactly... noone thinks of the two as a singular entity as a cultural region but according to one metric (CSA) they are. I'm not sure why this is such a hard pill to swallow. Their connection between the two is only going to get stronger as time goes..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.