Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 08:53 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,560,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolitionman2 View Post
Let me just say, as a person who has lived in Central, Inland Maine for a number of years now, that Central and Northern Inland Maine are NOT really getting any more blue. What has changed is the method of voting that was unwittingly passed for the 2018 election. Specifically, ranked-choice voting. This is where voters get a second vote if no candidate gets 50% of the vote. With the first round of votes tallied, the Republican Candidate, Bruce Poliquin (R) actually won the election over Jared Golden (D). However, due to third-party candidates, neither Poliquin or Golden were given the win as neither got 50% of the vote and the election went to the 2nd choice/round of votes. Of course none of the 3rd party candidates were conservative. So when those votes were taken and credited towards Golden or Poliquin, Golden ended up with the most votes (over 50%). Therefore if you are a blue voter, a Democrat in Maine, you can vote for a 3rd party and if that 3rd party does not win you can always recast your vote for the Democrats. Enough. This is a topic for another thread.
I suspected the claim was a stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 06:32 PM

848 posts, read 1,122,625 times
Northern Connecticut, Massachusetts outside Boston metro, New Hampshire, and Maine.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:49 PM

72 posts, read 86,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I can't imagine moving for the reasons the OP mentioned "politics, policies, taxes, bad schools, of our state and our area". I have never cared about any of that. I have never been active in any of that. I just wanted a nice place to live. Just mind your own business and you can live anywhere.

If your taxes are too high, move to a smaller, cheaper house. If you don't like the schools, and can't afford to send the kids to private school, move to a better school district in your part of the state. All the schools can't be bad! Even bad schools have classes for top students. Moving locally will likely be cheaper and easier than moving across country to some place you know nothing about. When your kids go to college they will most likely be exposed to all the things you are trying to run away from now.
I agree somewhat, but...
If the state government passes laws that impede on your freedoms and rights, it makes it an increasingly difficult and frustrating and dare I say hostile place to live. I could never live in Chicago or California because I'd be a felon in no time due to their ridiculous gun laws against otherwise law abiding citizens that I'd never follow in a million years.

So you see why it would be better for me personally to not live there.

Old 12-27-2019, 05:42 PM

12,195 posts, read 8,091,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Northern Connecticut, Massachusetts outside Boston metro, New Hampshire, and Maine.

Western Massachusetts is actually quite Liberal as the farthest 1/3 of the state from BOS goes Blue. Id say Bristol County MA is the most traditionally conservative part of Mass.

Old 12-27-2019, 06:27 PM

530 posts, read 175,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosoma View Post
I agree somewhat, but...
If the state government passes laws that impede on your freedoms and rights, it makes it an increasingly difficult and frustrating and dare I say hostile place to live. I could never live in Chicago or California because I'd be a felon in no time due to their ridiculous gun laws against otherwise law abiding citizens that I'd never follow in a million years.
Absolutely. I hope people in conservative areas are paying attention to legislation that affects issues they care about before their state turns California-like.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:44 AM

6,751 posts, read 6,760,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandaija2009 View Post
Any thoughts to a conservative 4 seasons area of the country?
Greenwich, Connecticut 30 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.