Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 09:21 AM

4,183 posts, read 2,907,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Im assuming the 'lies' were address lies. Which everyone does to get considered for a job closer.
Address, internship length, current job position
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 11:31 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,244,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The Bay Area has labor shortages in many industries. We need immigrants.
The Bay Area is just a sad sad story and was so preventable. I hope it serves as a lesson to cities and areas on similar trajectories.

To the OP you are in a unique situation. You could start in the Bay Area and then relocate? Seems like you have a huge plus by having the living situation already setupf or you. Very fortunate.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:49 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,635,790 times
Stop lieing on your resume, that's probably the start of your woes. The only thing you probably can fudge is address as companies like to hire local. However, don't expect relocation, not that that's easy to get on entry level positions anyways.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:17 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,584,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Denver does not really show up on news articles as being a trend for jobs.
Statistically Denver has a strong economy and great IT sector. The "news" isn't usually the best source of this type of info.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:24 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,694,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I read up on the internet that San Francisco, San Jose, and Scottsdale seem to be the best places to land a job. Also, the address on my resume plays a role in the rate of rejections. I do not have many California rejections, but most of my rejections are in Washington and Oregon.
Don't head to expensive cities like SF and SJ where you have to work around the clock just to make rent.

The best cities that offer decent-great jobs in the IT field (I'm in it too) and a decent cost of living are:

Austin, TX
Raleigh, NC
Atlanta, GA
Tampa, FL

In that order. I have lived in all of them. This was just my personal experience. Job hunting in ATL seemed to be extremely competitive. While still competitive in Austin, there seemed to be a ton more jobs and housing costs were doable with the salary I was getting.

Focus on up and coming secondary cities and you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:56 PM

101 posts, read 81,620 times
Best Cities For Jobs 2020
https://wallethub.com/edu/best-cities-for-jobs/2173/

Three out of the top 10 cities are in Arizona (Metro Phoenix). That's more than any other state in the top 10.

1. Scottsdale - ranked #1
6. Chandler
8. Tempe

These are the cities with a high concentration of IT/tech jobs in metro Phoenix ... especially Chandler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.